Exception Processing Message error - no disk

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
Unforget
New User
New User

Exception Processing Message error - no disk

Post by Unforget »

Hi to all.
I've been using Deluge for many years now, love that free non-corporative program. Recently I've installed Win 10 2016 LTSB, and put Deluge on it, of course. It worked for several weeks, then all of sudden it started to give me this error.
TBH, I don't know what could be the problem. Letter assigned by Win to that 'data' partition was something I was not used to and changed it to something more familiar. Deluge is installed on it. Download destination folder is also on that partition. Program worked without problems for some shorter time.
I also have second HDD, Linux is on it.

This error message can't be removed by clicking on anything it offers, only after exiting Deluge it will disappear after 3 clicks on 'cancel'.

What could be the problem?
Attachments
Win_error.png
Win_error.png (6.08 KiB) Viewed 9341 times
bengalih
Leecher
Leecher

Re: Exception Processing Message error - no disk

Post by bengalih »

I'm wondering if you ever found a solution to this.
I believe I got the exact same thing a couple of years ago with an earlier 2.x release of Deluge.
I thought I posted about it, but I can't find anything. I don't believe I ever found a solution I just dealt with not having Deluge on that machine.

Anyway, today, with the latest version I began to get the same exact thing after a reboot. Nothing I do gets rid of it, symptoms are just like yours.
I fully uninstalled, removed all program data, rebooted, reinstalled, tried from another user profile. Nothing.

The actual functionality of Deluge seems fine apart from not being able to close this dialog. I also run deluged as a background service and it appears to run fine, but now I can't run the client on my machine without this annoying issue.

Is Deluge the culprit? Well the dialog message appears to be from "Windows", but the message only appears (and won't close) as long as Deluge is running. I have nothing else apparently wrong with my system...nothing out of the ordinary in the even logs, all disks check out ok. Not a single other application on the system complains to any extent. So, while this message might be from Windows, it is being caused by Deluge and Deluge is the only application causing the issue.
bengalih
Leecher
Leecher

Post by bengalih »

Well after some further testing I've found out what is causing Deluge to do this.

I have multiple disks in my system - including a built-in card reader which has 4 different card reader slots:

These are assigned drive letters H,I,J,and K on my system. Apparently, as long as these drives are assigned drive letters, and the drives are empty (i.e. no cards inserted), Deluge throws this error, or maybe it is correct to say makes Windows throw this error.

I tested by removing the drive letters from all of them and Deluge started without the error. If I add even one back it throws the error again.
However if I enable say the SD/MMC reader with drive letter H and put an SD card in there, Deluge does not throw the error. The minute I remove it and relaunch Deluge it gives the error again. So, in other words, Deluge doesn't like to have removable drives recognized by the system if there is nothing in them. At least it doesn't anymore...

AFAIK nothing has changed on my system. This is a Windows 2016 Server box that doesn't get any type of driver updates, etc.
It gets rebooted frequently enough (probably monthly) for some reason or another. Nothing would have been modified in any regards to these drives in years and yet after this last reboot Deluge is responding the way it is.

I've uninstalled the drives and reinstalled them multiple times - as you can see these are "generic" drives so they just use the native Microsoft drivers. I don't have all of these cards to test, but I can say that the SD slot works perfectly fine when I insert a card it shows as inserted in My Computer and I can access the data fine.

So, in short, nothing is wrong with my system. Not as far as Windows under all normal operating conditions and every single other application on the system is concerned. It's only Deluge. Clearly the Deluge code is making some type of system call that is causing Windows to try to enumerate these drives in some non-standard way and generating the error. It might not be the Deluge code directly, but perhaps some library it calls on. In any event, I would call it a Deluge problem based upon all the evidence.

In my case, I never use these card readers...or if I do it is incredible rare (once a year), so for now I have simply removed all the drive letters from them. Apparently there is a registry key:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows\ErrorMode

It is normally set to "0", and if you set it to "2" it might get rid of the system showing these popup errors. People confirmed this worked in older version of Windows, but I haven't tried it. I don't necessarily like the idea of suppressing errors system wide in a case like this, but it could be another solution.

I'm sure the Deluge devs have more to work on than this issue which probably only effects a very small subset of people, but it is still pretty frustrating.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Thanks for reporting buddy, and you came with some new findings I didn't knew about I.e that it can now also happen on other than win7 and that it's only triggering with regards to drives with drive-letters.

I never found the culprit when tried some years ago, but will try again later one of these days, though not having high hopes as if remember right it just gets triggered by a call inspecting the stack during @overrides, or something like that so hard workaround.

On win7 it could be workarounded with right clicking drive in windows explorer and selecting eject, despite already ejected and empty, which somehow clears the apparently still lingering traversable link. Or just reboot, and same needed done after every time having actually used the drive I.e eject twice or reboot. Ambipro stated to disable the devices if not used anyway, which good tip obviously and I didn't think off.

Anyway sounds like little different with you, as keep happening even after reboots etc.

Thanks!