Deluge won't start?

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
IntBore
New User
New User

Deluge won't start?

Post by IntBore »

Hi!

Not sure where to begin. First of all, I've used Deluge for nearly a decade as my choice of client. It wasn't until just recently that the client just will not start and I don't know why. I have been using Deluge successfully in Virtual Box as well as VMWare, in both Win 7 and Win 10 environments.

My current setup now, or rather was, running Win 10 in VMWare. Everything was working normal (for years) until one day I started up my VMWare and all of a sudden my Win 10 updated into Win 11. Everything worked fine for a while on Win 11 until one day Tunnel Bear wouldn't start. I solved that by installing Tunnel Bear on the host machine, so THAT part worked fine seeing how all the traffic passes through the host machine anyways. Then all of a sudden Deluge started to act up and not run, just like Tunnel Bear did. I thought that was weird. It was working before. Web browsers work fine. WinRar works fine. Antivirus works fine. Adobe Reader works fine. :(

The problem now is how do I get it to work without losing all of my torrents, which some are already completed and some are still uploading/downloading. I have not tried to uninstall/install anything for fear of losing what I have already.

Any help would be great! Thank you for taking the time to read! I am sorry there's not much else in information I can provide. I don't know how to pull up any log files. Sorry.
IntBore
New User
New User

Re: Deluge won't start?

Post by IntBore »

Whoops, nvm. Just saw the Tips & FAQ post. I will try that first and come back to this post later. Sorry in advance!
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

No worries :)

First off, to avoid loose stuff, backup your deluge profile folder under: '%appdata%\deluge'. Then check if program blocked, by right clicking its icon, selecting properties and at bottom there sometimes is checkbox named unblock or something, I believe(maybe not in win10/win11, and just remember such for a family-member many years ago where utorrent wouldn't start, no fail message, and that was issue/fix). Also possibly your x86 vc runtimes for deluge got uninstalled during upgrade to win11. Last, besides debug-logging, is to rename deluge profile folder to e.g deluge-bak, and see if starts, and afterwards, delete newly generated deluge folder, rename deluge-bak back to deluge, as just for quick test if something in profile crashes it(session.state file therein sometimes can do this, and can btw just be deleted in that case as just gets regenerated, and not important, but as said, always keep backups of important stuff, just in general).

Good luck.
IntBore
New User
New User

Post by IntBore »

Hi!

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I'm just trying to figure out where that nail is so I can pry it out.

I didn't really notice it till now, but every time I start up my Windows 11 on VMware, there's a little side note on the lower right hand side that says "Windows Defender Firewall Disabled, Click here to turn on." And then when I proceed to do so, the toggle for it doesn't allow me to turn it on. I'd figure, that's kinda weird.

And then from time to time, "Windows Input Experience" comes up and then disappears real quick. Not even a chance to read or even to click the window to select it.

Back to the Deluge issue, I tried to follow the instructions to start "deluge-console.exe, deluged.exe, deluged-debug.exe, deluge-debug.exe, deluge-gtk.exe, deluge-web.exe, and deluge-web-debug.exe." None of those will work. I'll just double click it or start as administrator and nothing will start.

So at this point, I'm kinda stumped. I tried to get into the firewall settings, "All apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall," but with no success. I get back an error message, "Windows Defender Firewall can't change some of your settings. Error code 0x8007042c." When I tried to get further into the firewall settings, I get a message, "There was an error opening the Windows Defender Firewall with Advance Security snap-in." "The Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security snap-in failed to load. Restart the Windows Defender Firewall service on the computer that you are managing. Error code: 0x6D9."

Can't turn on firewall. Can't tweak anything on the app list.

Hmmmmmm
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

There's a bunch of those error reports online, and is either a random thing or malware infection. Your firewall will not start reportedly, so you could try run these commands as I found instructed, from elevated cmd and restart, also check background intelligence transfer service isnt set to disabled but manual. Other places mentioned corrupt files and advices running sfc /scannow from elevated cmd.

Sorry have no better/more precise help to offer.

Code: Select all

netsh advfirewall reset
net start mpsdrv
net start bfe
net start mpssvc
regsvr32 firewallapi.dll