I see myself multiple times in peer stats

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
Evnl2021
New User
New User

I see myself multiple times in peer stats

Post by Evnl2021 »

I recently moved to Deluge 2.0 and so far I really like it. It can do anything I want and after installing ltconfig with the high performace seed setting I get great up and down speeds. However I've noticed a strange thing on several trackers.

When I check the peer stats on a torrent I'm downloading or seeding I see myself multiple times. Another strange thing, let's say I see myself in the peer list 5 times 1 of the entries says that it's not connectable.

Usually I'm good at troubleshooting but in this case I have no idea where to start.
mhertz

Re: I see myself multiple times in peer stats

Post by mhertz »

Only thing I came to think about, is that you're probably using a newer libtorrent with deluge2, which then supports multi-homing(1.2.3+ atleast), and so libtorrent announces to trackers from every interface accepting incoming connections. Is it from the same IP? I don't get that then, sorry. I just meant e.g. there have been reports about if using a VPN, then you're listed sometimes on trackers twise, one for VPN IP and one for own IP, and own IP usually is unconnectable, and that is because of said multi-home support, though many VPN clients prohibit this behaviour with extra privacy related meassures, but VPN spec itself doesn't specifically disallow such and using official open-source openvpn client does this on windows etc, I could see with ipmagnet test myself. If you have several IPs upon your home-connection, like IPv6 etc, then would be that, but if same IP, then as said, I don't know sorry.

Probably not helpfull, but just throwing out there just in-case.
Evnl2021
New User
New User

Post by Evnl2021 »

I thought of something like that and disabled some protocols(DHT etc.) but that didn't seem to make a difference. I'll try again because that's the only thing I can think of that logically could be the problem.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Here is a libtorrent report displaying related behaviour, I mean it's qbittorrent , not deluge, and neither not own IP, but a scenario of multiple peers of same IP connecting to reporter - he can see them only because he has allow_multiple_ips enabled(not actual name, but whatever called), or else would be filtered off by default - that setting is also in high-performace-seed preset, atleast in older vesions and the ones hardcoded in ltconfig plugin.

Anyway, there was no resolvement, but the reporter speculated that since they all where outgoing connections, which by default are random ports, then maybe the handshake failed/timed-out and other connections tried with other port-number. Or could be a shared seedbox also of-course.

Honestly I don't really understand much of this here, but just seems something that can happen at times with libtorrent, but please others jump in if having some actual usefull stuff to share ;)

https://github.com/arvidn/libtorrent/issues/4781
Evnl2021
New User
New User

Post by Evnl2021 »

I've disable the multiple IP setting but still no change. There is something that's messing things up though. I checked the peer stats on a torrent I'm seeding and if I stop the torrents everything is fine it show me as not seeding. However when I start the torrent again the number of seeds on the torrent increases by 7 on the initial peer stats, when I check the detailed peer stats on the tracker I see myself 4 times.

Update: something seems to have changed by resetting the ltconfig settings, now I only see myself multiple times on 1 specific tracker, first I had the problem on several trackers. I've asked the tracker staff for help/tips.

Update2: I updated with the latest version I could find(a few versions newer than what I was using before but the result is the same). The version I'm running now is deluge-2.0.4.dev56.exe in portable mode.
endermitedray
New User
New User

Post by endermitedray »

Still, something seems to be causing problems. Have we encountered the same IP address before? However, if you only have a single IP address for your home network (not including IPv6 addresses, for example), then I can't help you. There was no resolution, but the reporter hypothesized that because all the connections were outgoing. words from letters