Unofficial Deluge 2 for Windows 7 + 10

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
mhertz

Re: Unofficial Deluge 2 for Windows 7 + 10

Post by mhertz »

Sorry guys, took longer debugging than initially anticipated. Anyway, the error shown when enabling piecesbar wasen't because of me(png's available in icon-theme and so used instead of svg's, so missing librsvg seemingly irrelevant), as after I fixed the issue in gvsbuild(after helpfull hint from lead-dev nacho) and submitted PR, then still shows same error in deluge when librsvg built and included - otherwise the piecesbar works as per Cas's fix, but if ever resizing the window, then don't enable piecesbar on windows as said error will show, and I haven't had time to look into that - not on linux as far as I could see.

I recalled two other issues with my installer meanwhile, so I fixed those and changed link, note is in my post and not in quote of it from nero. The issues was deleting two openssl files, as I add my own built(and LTO optimized) for libtorrent's usage, but python's pyopenssl needs the two I deleted, as else yarss2 doesn't work for some feeds with https links I remember reported - I could use my own for that too, but needs building with asm disabled like done by upstream, yelding 10-15% performance decrease reportedly, so I refrained from that. Last, the alternative loader doesn't work for deluge-console, so use normal loader for that, but that needs python.exe so had readd that back just for that deluge-console.exe.

As I said to fmar, I wouldn't make more releases, and I haven't really, just added missing files and repackaged through nsis, but even if had to make new release(well it kinda is, but nonetheless), then would have had to break my word unfortunetly, as needing to fix my own mess obviously, but hope you understand fmar.

I haven't updated my build-scripts on github, will do it one of these days, and will not post about it.

Last, the warning in newest gtk3, i'm debating if should add gvsbuild patch to revert commit or not, in build-scripts(not an issue in current installer), because commit stated to make startup snappier, though I couldn't really tell diff - in the merge thread there where initially reported the commit working but had some errors in cmd, which wasen't same as mine, but somewhat related seemingly, and they was fixed now, but then introduced this new one seemingly - as said, don't decided if should omit or not in script, but fmar can decide that.

Sorry again for inconvenience, and don't need update if not affected(i.e. if not using yarss2 or deluge-console, then don't need), as nothings else changed than described here i.e. three added files.
nero
New User
New User

Post by nero »

Thanks for taking your time checking this out, mhertz. Much appreciated :)
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Sorry guys, I honestly think have little OCD or however described, and bugged me that I last had to include python.exe just for deluge-console.exe, because I want it to look like an actual freezed installer(just bigger), like an official would, and not reminicent of a portable python install, so I workarounded the issue of deluge-console and now works direct from python3.dll like rest exe's, so ditched python.exe again.

Then newest gtk3(3.24.31) had an issue with showing a gdk error in deluge-debug.exe cmd output, and what's worse, I found completely crashed deluge when e.g. changing an input-field in preferences. No PRs or commits related, I checked. Currently gvsbuild builds next newest GTK3, but my scripts mods it and always builds latest one, so affected - not my last installer though, as just before gtk3.24.31 released. Anyway, I added a patch to my scripts reverting the two faulty commits of gtk3.24.31 and up, and made gvsbuild apply it during it's gtk3 building step, so now free from crashing and no error-output in cmd. Btw, gvsbuild also added some linting changes a few days ago, breaking some of my scripting, so I fixed that up to match again and made more foolproof.

Last, I stripped more patches out, as wanted the least changes possible, to official deluge, so besides needed changes for working unfreezed and through installer, then only patching for connection-manager/preferences not shown(doadin/Cas), geoip support for windows(Cas), and workaround for avoid crashing sometimes during tracker .ico loading(tobbez) - now you have to yourself add path to GeoIP.dat(included in install-folder) in preferences, to show flags for peers, but you can also just use 'geoip.dat' and nothing else - I used to patch that, to always work regardless, but as said, minimal changes now. No version-override for deluge-dev neither anymore.

You don't have to update, as not really important, but has newest gtk3, openssl and boost added since last, and libtorrent, though not much new there.

I have updated my build-scripts on github and archieved the repo again, as have now again quit this windows stuff, and so just wanted to upload the installers produced during the testing, to make use off I thought(and before mentioned OCD ;) ).

Ohh, the cairo error shown with piecesbar and resizing window, is seemingly an issue of the program itself and not cairo - as said saw several bug-reports online from various other apps, and they all got fixed in there own app and not upstream at cairo - it's seemingly related to freeing/destroying same Cairo surface twice somewhere in code, but over my head sorry. I did check no Cairo PRs or later commits related to this.

If you experience crashes, then probably because of yarss2 plugin, which has unresolved issue of this, as reported on its bugtracker, on both linux and windows, so disable yarss2 in that case.

Happy new year to all also :)

You're welcome nero, thank you.

deluge-2.0.5.exe

deluge-2.1.0.dev5.exe
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Just wanted to say that doadin has done awesome job fixing the freezing issue and provide automated deluge2 windows build-scripts, so if anyone want to test his latest built installer out, done in the actual professional way as the previous real official windows installers, then check out his thread/post here:

viewtopic.php?p=234320#p234320

Thanks again doadin, appreciate you! :)
eddycatboy

Post by eddycatboy »

mhertz wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:21 pm Sorry guys, I honestly think have little OCD or however described, and bugged me that I last had to include python.exe just for deluge-console.exe, because I want it to look like an actual freezed installer(just bigger), like an official would, and not reminicent of a portable python install, so I workarounded the issue of deluge-console and now works direct from python3.dll like rest exe's, so ditched python.exe again.

Then newest gtk3(3.24.31) had an issue with showing a gdk error in deluge-debug.exe cmd output, and what's worse, I found completely crashed deluge when e.g. changing an input-field in preferences. No PRs or commits related, I checked. Currently gvsbuild builds next newest GTK3, but my scripts mods it and always builds latest one, so affected - not my last installer though, as just before gtk3.24.31 released. Anyway, I added a patch to my scripts reverting the two faulty commits of gtk3.24.31 and up, and made gvsbuild apply it during it's gtk3 building step, so now free from crashing and no error-output in cmd. Btw, gvsbuild also added some linting changes a few days ago, breaking some of my scripting, so I fixed that up to match again and made more foolproof.

Last, I stripped more patches out, as wanted the least changes possible, to official deluge, so besides needed changes for working unfreezed and through installer, then only patching for connection-manager/preferences not shown(doadin/Cas), geoip support for windows(Cas), and workaround for avoid crashing sometimes during tracker .ico loading(tobbez) - now you have to yourself add path to GeoIP.dat(included in install-folder) in preferences, to show flags for peers, but you can also just use 'geoip.dat' and nothing else - I used to patch that, to always work regardless, but as said, minimal changes now. No version-override for deluge-dev neither anymore.

You don't have to update, as not really important, but has newest gtk3, openssl and boost added since last, and libtorrent, though not much new there.

I have updated my build-scripts on github and archieved the repo again, as have now again quit this windows stuff, and so just wanted to upload the installers produced during the testing, to make use off I thought(and before mentioned OCD ;) ).

Ohh, the cairo error shown with piecesbar and resizing window, is seemingly an issue of the program itself and not cairo - as said saw several bug-reports online from various other apps, and they all got fixed in there own app and not upstream at cairo - it's seemingly related to freeing/destroying same Cairo surface twice somewhere in code, but over my head sorry. I did check no Cairo PRs or later commits related to this.

If you experience crashes, then probably because of yarss2 plugin, which has unresolved issue of this, as reported on its bugtracker, on both linux and windows, so disable yarss2 in that case.

Happy new year to all also :)

You're welcome nero, thank you.

deluge-2.0.5.exe

deluge-2.1.0.dev5.exe
I tried this and i keep getting the "api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-1.dll is missing" error in the 2.1.0 version even when adding the dll in, the program still won't start up. alsoand 2.0.5 also doesn't start up al well, but it stays on the processes
Update: rolled back into fmar's version and everything is working fine again
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Thanks for reporting :) Don't really have time now but I did obviously test it, quick though, before posting, so very strange to me, but just quickly, not win7 right? I'll look into this in evening, though couldn't reproduce here, when posting it atleast.

Edit: I forgot, so searched your back-posts and you're on Win7 seemingly, sorry forgot specify win8+, as newest python used. Stick then to fmar's nicely provided builds :) Sorry for inconvenience.
bobsage
New User
New User

Post by bobsage »

Is it possible to increase the font size in this build?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Is there something different from this build compared to others? If remember correct then this build is first build where I added disabling max-path limit + enabled gdi-awareness to the highest/best setting(I know said wanted keep as vanilla as possible, but the max path gave issues reported, and qbittorrent overrides this + the gdi-awareness change was in same place as the max-path disabling(in embedded manifest of python exe loader.

I can suggest how change it manually(I think atleast) if you tell me which theme you use from installer - probably can even do it regardless which theme, in the settings.ini of data/share/etc/settings.ini.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

I just messed little with how change font-size, as indeed is pretty small when e.g. maximized and/or high-res etc - this build is not different than the rest old though, regarding that, but still.

The settings.ini file have font defining capabilities, but however won't help if chosen theme overrides this with own settings, as that takes precedense over settings.ini.

So, if using default win32 theme, then edit 'font-size: 9pt;' in line 26 of 'C:\Program FIles\Deluge\data\share\themes\win32x\gtk-3.0\gtk-win32-base.css', changing the '9' to e.g. '10' or '11' etc.

The adwaita and adwaita-dark themes are unfortunetly non-editable currently, as need rebuild gtk for that, as embedded themes in compiled codebase - actually default win32 theme is also, but I just extracted it from source and provided externally with installer, to fix a big read-ability issue(white text on light-grey background!), fix a couple warnings, and change win7-styled close/minimize/maximize buttons to win10-styled ones(for if not wanna use 'gtk_csd=0'). Could also just have setup for patching the source instead, but was to lazy and further commits to theme could break my changes, so decided this better. I could also strip out the adwaita theme, and provide externally, but haden't had reason to before(well actually did long ago, to fix other bug, but when bug got fixed upstream, then reverted back to default again).

Last theme in installer, mantis-dark, you add new line as ' font-size: 11pt;' or whatever wanted size(the '11' - default is '9' I believe), at just under line 18, so becomes line 19.

Edit: Okay for completeness I stripped out adwaita/adwaita-dark theme from gtk3 codebase and changed an import-resource issue so it works externally, and added a font-size entry with bigger size of '11' - need first download external theme I posted at bottom and extract it into 'C:\Program Files\Deluge\data\share\themes', so there under the 'themes' folder now is new folder named 'Adwaitax' therein with a subfolder named 'gtk-3.0' etc. It's same folder for both adwaita and adwaita-dark. Change if wanted to other size in line 5 of 'font-size: 11pt;' in file 'C:\Program Files\Deluge\data\share\themes\Adwaitax\gtk-3.0\gtk-contained.css' and for adwaita-dark, then same path and setting but just filename gtk-contained-dark.css. Last you also need to edit settings.ini line 2 from '#gtk-theme-name=win32' into 'gtk-theme-name=adwaitax' - (case-insensitive) - could also just make new line, up to you - btw commented out originally because then would just use default adwaita anyway, so no need actually define that(and is from older times i.e 'win32' not 'win32x'), but external themes need have other names than reserved internal name, hence we call it 'adwaitax', like the 'win32x' default one, to differentiate(and so allow loading) - the dark version already defines in settings.ini additionally 'gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme=true' which seperates adwaita from adwaita-dark. Settings.ini located in 'C:\Program Files\Deluge\data\etc\gtk-3.0\settings.ini'. Need edit files as admin, and if not know how do that, then copy file to edit into other dir, edit and copy back and overwrite old file, in which case you get UAC prompt to select yes to, and done.

Adwaitax.zip

Sorry for long posting, but wanted all included for completeness.
bobsage
New User
New User

Post by bobsage »

I noticed sometimes when adding a torrent, where files are within a folder in the torrent, it does not let me rename the top folder. It will actually not show there is a folder to rename at all, and instead show for each file "foldername/filename.mp4" within the file name. Maybe this is an issue for just older torrents but I'm not sure.