Unofficial Deluge 2 for Windows 7 + 10

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
mhertz

Re: Unofficial Deluge 2 for Windows 7 + 10

Post by mhertz »

Thanks likewise bro, and great job finding and fixing the issue! :)
fmar
Leecher
Leecher

Post by fmar »

@all

I just uploaded new builds of the dev version for both Win 7 + 10. Preferences windows should work again. Can't say anything about the IPv6 and IPv6 GeoIP still working. It would be nice if someone could give it a go.

A new Python version was released this week, so I guess I'm building a new Windows 10 version in the upcoming weeks.
jeps
Leecher
Leecher

Post by jeps »

Hi.
Really nice with these Windows releases, they have a lot newer commits than the Ubuntu dev. builds :-)
Would it be possible to integrate mhertz suggestions in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=56029

Thanks in advance!
fmar
Leecher
Leecher

Post by fmar »

jeps wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:17 am ...
Would it be possible to integrate mhertz suggestions in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=56029
Thanks for the kind words and suggestion jeps!

I had a look at the thread, but I think I don't want to add the patches to the build process. It already contains a lot of additional patches and some of them are interfering with Deluges source code. I'd like to changes these troublesome patches into a "git apply" command in the long run. And I also don't want to create a fork by diverging too much from the source.
Anyway, if you would like to see the missing decimal places added, I would suggest you open a ticket . That way the devs will be notified and can provide a proper fix.

@all

I totally forgot that my Insider build will expire at the end of the month :oops:
It will take me some time to set up a new VM and get the build process working. Expect some new builds during November...
There weren't any commits during the last weeks, so you're not missing out on anything.
Scanda
New User
New User

Post by Scanda »

We tried the newest version of deluga 2.0.4.dev84 and dev70.
If i want to create a .torrent and want to select a folder from a network share, the folder got not opened for creating the .torrent file. I can select the needed folder, but if i click on "Open" nothing happens.
Also if i enter the directory direct in the directory tab, i don't the the folders.

It worked only one time, but now i'm unable to to it again
Local folders work without problems.

FileNotFoundError: The system cannot find the path specified: '\\\\....\\...\\'

Could there be a problem with the length of the directory and their subfolders?

Is this problem known?
Scanda
New User
New User

Post by Scanda »

Can i trigger deluge for creating a .torrentfile via command line?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Sorry not fmar(and @fmar please tell me to butt out if overstepping the line with interferring with your thread/contribution, thanks :) ), but I read little up on your two questions, and is little complicated(the first one). For second, then not in deluge natively, but could e.g. search for a windows(mingw or cygwin) build of mktorrent, e.g. quickly found this: https://github.com/q3aql/mktorrent-win-builds/releases - I looked at the extracted contents on linux, and newest release is little bigger because include alot of extra stuff you don't need, so only use the bin subfolder - the next-newest link is smaller, but uses older cygwin, the changelog states, don't know how relevant. You need specify dirs/files with forward slashes, not backwards, usually with many cygwin apps I remember. Also, saw a python script you could extract and place into your deluge folder and run with python.exe from there, either take the 0.97 release and copy the two files under src folder into deluge dir, or take the newest release and the single file under src dir, but that version need an extra module not included with deluge, so if using that, then additionally need download this: https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages ... ne-any.whl, extract it(if not having 7-zip and cannot extract it, then rename to end in .zip instead of .whl and extract, and move the 3 extracted folders into deluge folder under 'Lib\site-packages'). Here's link for python-script: https://github.com/rsnitsch/py3createtorrent/releases Docs: https://py3createtorrent.readthedocs.io ... /user.html

Now for first issue, which is why I write even - yes you're correct in your theory, and is general windows issue, not deluge(and not related to this unofficial installer neither), e.g. qbittorrent added support for this a year ago or so. The python.exe included with this unofficial installer includes from upstream an embedded manifest supporting long paths _if_ having it enabled(win10 1607+) through the reg-key 'longpathsisenabled': https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to ... haracters/

However, the alternative exe loader this unofficial installer utilizes, actually doesn't use python.exe but loads deluge's py-code direct through python39.dll, so the needed manifest isn't seen, and I believe there's already a manifest embedded into that alternative loader already, meaning cannot just add external deluge.exe.manifest file as ignored. However I don't really know how will work i.e. if even needed a manifest for py-scripts, so could try if works just by setting that key and restarting. If not, then need e.g. extract the manifest with resource-hacker or alike from python.exe and embed/overwrite it onto the deluge.exe binary(would be nice to script this in the build-scripts and add option in nsis-template to enable this long-paths option during install, but i'm not working on this anymore as said, but idea for others maybe - I think there's an app mt.exe that can embed manifests from command-line, or else reshacker can be controlled through command-line also I believe - Edit: Could just add longpathaware property to embedded manifests of w64.exe/t64.exe with e.g reshacker, and then would always be available in built deluge binaries, and as said add new option to installer through the nsis template to set the needed reg-key). The relevant part is just the longpathaware setting there, so could also just add this to already embedded manifest instead if wanted.

If doesn't work, then as workaround could open deluge through python.exe and not the dll through overriding the own embedded alternative exe loader, by opening python.exe and running:

Code: Select all

from deluge.ui.ui_entry import start_ui
start_ui()
Then gets loaded through python.exe and inherits embedded manifest. Same when running the python script for creating torrents previously mentioned btw, as uses python.exe.

Very last, when getting it to work with the enabled reg-key, then another problem still exist, and affects all apps, not just deluge on windows - when overriding max_path to support 37000+ chars in path-depth, then internal API functions in windows still restricts individual path elements to be max 255 chars long, meaning all this is moot if having a folder or file in your 260+ chars long path that is 255+, unfortuently, but better than nothing of-course.
...for a maximum total path length of 32,767 characters. This type of path is composed of components separated by backslashes, each up to the value returned in the lpMaximumComponentLength parameter of the GetVolumeInformation function (this value is commonly 255 characters).
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... n?tabs=cmd
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... formationa

Sorry for long-windedness :)
fmar
Leecher
Leecher

Post by fmar »

Scanda wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:39 pm ...
FileNotFoundError: The system cannot find the path specified: '\\\\....\\...\\'
Hi Scanda

What version are you using (Windows 7 or 10) on what Windows version? Have you tried a stable build?
Are you using the "Folder" button or the "Remote Path" button in the create torrent pop-up?
If you don't see the "Remote Path" button there's an issue with my build.

Edit: Overlooked your second question. You can add torrents through deluge-console, but I'm not sure if you are able to create them :?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

@fmar,

I read up several reports on qbittorrent bugtracker about torrents failing because too long paths in torrent, e.g. one reported needing rename 4 torrent's folders/files inside to fix, as else io errors upon seeding or after restarting qbittorrent it would redownload as hashing failed.

My point is that this is somewhat big issue, so although I cannot test it, then threw together some fixes, so of-course up to you if wanna include next time, and also only works on win10, doesn't hurt on win7 but doesn't help situation sadly, and couldn't find win7 specific alternative.

I added new checkbox/option to installers: "Disable MAX_PATH limit", enabled by default(I made it disable if selecting 'Portable install', as adding reg-key is not portable) and added needed stuff to embedded manifests in loaders + while add it, added DPI-aware setting(to embedded manifests), as remember got reports previously about on high-res or high-DPI displayes sometimes was crazy small.

Anyway, if wanting use, then replace 'loaders\t64.exe', 'loaders\w64.exe' and 'installer-build\deluge-installer.nsis'.

max-path.zip
fmar
Leecher
Leecher

Post by fmar »

@mhertz

Hi, sorry for the late reply. It's November and getting dark...

First, I don't mind you giving some insight or tips. I actually welcome it :)

Thank your for providing a fix for the path length issue. I'll have a look at it when I finished setting up the new VM.
Which I completely forgot about; I did create a clone but still have to set up the deluge build scripts.
So, it'll probably take another week or two.