Restoring horizontal tabs in bottom bar (2.0)

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
nr5
New User
New User

Restoring horizontal tabs in bottom bar (2.0)

Post by nr5 »

Hello!

I just upgraded to 2.0. I'm wondering how to restore the previous layout of the information tabs (see the screenshot), as the new one requires many more mouse clicks instead of just one to go e.g. from Status to Peers.
tmp.png
tmp.png (5.6 KiB) Viewed 10110 times
mhertz

Re: Restoring horizontal tabs in bottom bar (2.0)

Post by mhertz »

That is controlled by the chosen gtk3 theme, as old style was part of a gtk2 theme(deluge-start theme) not compatible anymore. I tried looking into it once, but couldn't really(my fault), and also tried a bunch of different themes e.g pretty much all windows 10 mimicking themes, plus generic windows and non-windows ones, and none was setup like that. Hopefully one good at css gtk3 format could lend a hand or give some clues to what property(s) related to that area of UI.
nr5
New User
New User

Post by nr5 »

mhertz wrote:That is controlled by the chosen gtk3 theme, as old style was part of a gtk2 theme(deluge-start theme) not compatible anymore. I tried looking into it once, but couldn't really(my fault), and also tried a bunch of different themes e.g pretty much all windows 10 mimicking themes, plus generic windows and non-windows ones, and none was setup like that. Hopefully one good at css gtk3 format could lend a hand or give some clues to what property(s) related to that area of UI.
Hi! Thank you for your explanation. Very unfortunate!

This is a very big usability hit, in my opinion, as switching between those tabs is one of the main ways I interact with the GUI. I think I'm going to revert to v1.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Sorry, I posted wrong info before, as remembered wrong and confused another thing with this, so this isn't a theme issue as this wasen't set by previous gtk2 windows DelugeStart theme. It's set I believe in the glade, or now gtk-builder or whatever called deluge source UI files, sorry not into gtk3 or UI stuff at all.

I looked at it, and I seem to be able to add tabs horizontally instead of vertically, but looks bad, as all clumped into eachother currently with no space between etc, so have to play some more with it, and see if can make it better, but not sure honestly, and had almost given up but after rechecking gtk3 reference manual again and finally finding out it's called GtkNotebook that UI widget and featuring a tab_pos property, which can be top, bottom, left and right - it's top by default, but left in deluge source for whatever reason.

Note, you can just drag up the horizontal bottom line, so as to get all vertical tabs through without any arrows to waste clicks on, so it's atleast as effecient as horizontal-tabs like deluge1, but unfortunetly theres a bug in deluge2 where sometimes saved state of UI isn't regenerated on startup. I think it's saved correct but sometimes just not read-back for some reason - I once suggested people to write-protect the file it's saved in, which helped was reported, but didn't last always also reported sadly. I tested it remembered the rezising many times in row of open/close but then suddently forgot it at a later opening(not write-protected here).

Anyway, I know you're back on deluge1 so not important for you, but just wanted to add for full disclosure for maybe others interested.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Just for people possibly finding this in a google search, then here's instructions for fixing this, which also works on non-windows platforms: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55776&p=232909#p232909
nr5
New User
New User

Post by nr5 »

mhertz wrote: Note, you can just drag up the horizontal bottom line, so as to get all vertical tabs through without any arrows to waste clicks on, so it's atleast as effecient as horizontal-tabs like deluge1, but unfortunetly theres a bug in deluge2 where sometimes saved state of UI isn't regenerated on startup. I think it's saved correct but sometimes just not read-back for some reason - I once suggested people to write-protect the file it's saved in, which helped was reported, but didn't last always also reported sadly. I tested it remembered the rezising many times in row of open/close but then suddently forgot it at a later opening(not write-protected here).

Anyway, I know you're back on deluge1 so not important for you, but just wanted to add for full disclosure for maybe others interested.
For now, I'm staying with v2, to see if the issue is bearable. I don't close Deluge very often, so just dragging up the bottom section of the UI after each restart doesn't sound so bad.

I really appreciate your help and commitment!