Unofficial Deluge 2.0.x for Windows installer

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
petersasi
Leecher
Leecher

Unofficial Deluge 2.0.x for Windows installer

Post by petersasi »

For a while I have taken over the mainteinership of building and releasing these installers, although still with the gracious help from @MHerz. We agreed to start a new topic for it and close the old one since virtually no one wants to read 66 pages of forum posts to learn how it evolved. :lol:
Currently these installers are unofficial but considered stable for the last several months.
Please find the installers here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... Yl7XuWYpVT I will update this initial post for every release, so you only need to scroll down to report a problem or ask a question.
Latest releases of Deluge Torrent 2.0.3 and 2.0.4dev38 for Windows happened on 18-Sep-2020 with fixed GTK build and refreshed MSVC.

Major improvements of the unofficial installer
  1. Selectable LibTorrent version (1.1.x, 1.2.x and 1.2.3)
  2. Selectable themes
  3. Selectable portable or normal install
  4. More up to date (more secure, more bug-fixed, more performant) Python, libtorrent etc. versions included
  5. Made deluge-console command line usable on Windows
  6. Made GeoIP working again
  7. Includes YaRSS2 plugin as well
  8. Legacy logging code in Deluge fixed
  9. Includes torrentmanager.py fix from @djlegolas to make sure tacker Errors are handles in compliance with LibTorrent 1.2.x
  10. Unicode handling fixes
Please do read the README in the folder for more information, changes, what's new etc!
Please take note of the dates of the files in the details view and the relevant changes in the README and pick the installer version you need! (older releases are in the Archives sub-folder)

Reasons being for being unofficial:
  1. this is still not made available by the deluge devs as the windows installer;
  2. since the packaging, although much improved lately, is still kind of make-shift;
  3. but the way it is built is uses the latest, appropriate tooling and components, is high quality;
  4. in fact using more modern components and additional fixes compared to the official release
  5. but many of us has ben using it "in production" for many months.
  6. I do tend to play fast and loose with trying out new things and testing is practically done by this community here.
  7. If you want to be safe from that, I suggest you just do not install the new releases immediately: stay one release behind and only upgrade if no one reports issues here in a week or two. All prior releases are available in the Archive folder!
  8. There are known issues (e.g. do not turn on the pieces bar) that are deluge-vs-GTK or other issues of deluge itself. Many of these are beyond my competence and are not installer issues, so we cannot do much about fixing them.
I did release and keep improving the build environment: https://github.com/petersasi/deluge2-win-build/
Any problem reports, Pull Requests, patches are appreciated!
My todo with the known issues can be found at the end of the README.
Last edited by petersasi on Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bobby

Re: Unofficial Deluge 2.0.x for Windows installer

Post by Bobby »

Thanks you mate, i aprociate you effort taking into these builds. :D
highvoltage
Leecher
Leecher

Post by highvoltage »

Thanks very much petersasi, great works
TheShanMan
Leecher
Leecher

Post by TheShanMan »

Funny to see that you started this thread today because I just came here for the first time in a long time to check status of Deluge 2 on Windows. Given the "unofficial" status, would you say that the installer and Deluge itself is stable and reliable, i.e. "ready for the masses"? And what is the migration/upgrade process? I checked the readme at the google drive link and don't see this covered. Thanks for supporting those of us who are on Windows!
petersasi
Leecher
Leecher

Post by petersasi »

Thanks for the kind words, guys, more enhancements to come. :)

Being unofficial, reasons being:
  • this is still not made available by the deluge devs as the windows installer;
  • also the way it is built is I think on the spot and is high quality, in fact using more modern components and additional fixes to the base project;
  • however the packaging, although much improved is still kind of make-shift;
  • but many of us has ben using it "in production" for many months.
  • I do tend to play fast and loose with trying out new things and testing is practically done by this community here. If you want to be safe from that, I suggest just do not install the new release immadiately, stay one release behind and only upgrade if no one reports issues here in a week or two. All prior releases are available in the Archive folder!
  • There are known issues (e.g. do not turn on the pieces bar) that are deluge-vs-GTK or other issues of deluge itself. Many of these are beyond my competence to fix and are not intaller issues, so we cannot do much about fixing them.

TheShanMan wrote:Funny to see that you started this thread today because I just came here for the first time in a long time to check status of Deluge 2 on Windows. Given the "unofficial" status, would you say that the installer and Deluge itself is stable and reliable, i.e. "ready for the masses"? And what is the migration/upgrade process? I checked the readme at the google drive link and don't see this covered. Thanks for supporting those of us who are on Windows!
JGAS2

Post by JGAS2 »

Thanks for your time and effort, it is very much appreciated.
Been using the latest 204 version since yesterday (almost 24h) and it works flawlessley. GUI is a bit faster than previous one.
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

such is the meaning of a community. Thanks both @petersasi and @MHerz for the great effort.
Make sure it worth for a lot of us
Mizerka
New User
New User

Post by Mizerka »

Thanks, however I can't get it to work, it seems to install just fine, but does nothing on start, no errors logged either. reinstalled 1.3.5 which worked fine. any clues? am I missing some prereq?
petersasi
Leecher
Leecher

Post by petersasi »

Mizerka wrote:Thanks, however I can't get it to work, it seems to install just fine, but does nothing on start, no errors logged either. reinstalled 1.3.5 which worked fine. any clues? am I missing some prereq?
  1. Did you remove the old version?
  2. Did you also try with a new profile folder after having backed up your old profile folder?
  3. what is version?
  4. are you trying to use thinkclient? Maybe with a 1.x server / daemon?
Mizerka
New User
New User

Post by Mizerka »

Did you remove the old version?
yes and trying overwriting it
Did you also try with a new profile folder after having backed up your old profile folder?
yes, not tried "restoring" old files over new install
what is version?
both 2.0.3 and 2.0.4beta behave the same
are you trying to use thinkclient? Maybe with a 1.x server / daemon?
eventually, but out of box I'd expect it'd run it's own daemon