Unofficial Deluge 2.0.x for Windows installer

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
eddycatboy

Re: Unofficial Deluge 2.0.x for Windows installer

Post by eddycatboy »

therobin wrote:Which of the builds posted if the latest recommend option for Windows 7 x64 users? Seems these have been updated to python3.9 and the python3.8 builds are x86?

Just having a bit of trouble following all the discussion.
There's https://github.com/mhertz/deluge2-win7 you can try that.
You just have to 1. admin run install_components.cmd 2. then run msys2-x86_64-latest.sfx.exe 3. again run install_components.cmd with then will restart the computer by itself 4. now you can run build-menu.cmd
Just know right now the build installer option in build-menu.cmd (number: 9) isn't working thanks to a line 145 in deluge-installer.nsi, not being able to find file "*.*".
this was only thing i could find about that: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/537 ... s-variable
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Posting here(petersasi's thread), since bug-report of my project posted, - thanks for report, I'll look into it later, tomorrow I believe(I'll edit this post later with an update when having tested/fixed - btw, if you mean step 9 don't work initially/alone, then that is normal as nothing to package up as deluge not built yet, sorry for confusion). BTW, sorry for no docs, but you just need clone or extract repo to whatever partition/folder wanted and run install_components.cmd, thats all, well except actually building deluge and/or deps from build_menu.cmd. You will be asked for admin rights when coming to msvc install-part, if not having required msvc 2019 and winsdk already installed. No script needs run as admin. Msys2 etc is run automatically for you. Last, not related, but the other repos for Win7 and Win10 for x86(in addition to the x64 repos - I have 4 deluge2 repos), produces x86 builds(runs on x64 also) but needs x64 host to build, as gvsbuild needs that, so out of my hands. Thanks again.

Anyway, you should be able to run petersasi's older dev38 installer id guess, since uses Python 3.8.x

Btw, got bug reported previously and found win7 has some issues with deluge2. For one if using classic theme in win7 then default theme in deluge2 installer is incompatible and you need select something else. Second, for some, which have extra USB floppy or maybe cdrom drives, then something in deluge or python triggers a message about needing insert disc in the drive at startup - I haven't pinpointed yet what issue is, but only on Win7 not when run same build under win10, and not anything I did as same on fully clean source build. If keeping disc/floppy in drive, then avoids this issue + I found if taking dic/floppy out then if right clicking drive in explorer and selecting eject, then comes an error from windows since empty already, but this also fixes it, same as a reboot does, untill using disc/floppy again, which again needs this. I haven't been able to pinpoint the issue, to report on bugtracker, despite running through dbg debugger and whatnot, just fails/triggers in run_profiled() section, or whatever was called.

Edit: Thanks alot again eddycatboy, indeed there where a stupid error in the install_components.cmd, so you needed run msys2 manually and resume, as you correctly stated before - Fixed now and pushed to repo(s). I'm currently waiting on the full stack completing, to see if other issues needing fixed. Will edit in final update later. Much appreciated! :) PS: should have made an option in build_menu.cmd for building everything, so not needing insert 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, but was just because you often only need do that once, and then later just update a component or two and/or deluge itself, as needed/wanted, and not everything again, e.g. update libtorrent 1.2.x and maybe deluge-dev if new commits, and not rest - as the older build stuff always is stored for later use/inclusion - also, you don't need build installers(8 and/or 9 option) if not needed, as can test/run/copy built deluge from it's subfolder stored for you in main folder)

Edit2: Gtk building issue, investigating... (and need check if also on win10 repo(s))

Edit3: Fixed the issues in my build-scripts, both in win7 and win10 repos, and pushed to github, though still not resolved the win7 issues out of my hands i.e. insert-disc dialog with recently used external drives, and default theme broken if using windows classic theme. (Reposted this edit from newer post, back here also, as had stated I would update here later, previously)
Last edited by mhertz on Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eddycatboy

Post by eddycatboy »

mhertz wrote:Posting here(petersasi's thread), since bug-report of my project posted, - thanks for report, I'll look into it later, tomorrow I believe(I'll edit this post later with an update when having tested/fixed - btw, if you mean step 9 don't work initially/alone, then that is normal as nothing to package up as deluge not built yet, sorry for confusion). BTW, sorry for no docs, but you just need clone or extract repo to whatever partition/folder wanted and run install_components.cmd, thats all, well except actually building deluge and/or deps from build_menu.cmd. You will be asked for admin rights when coming to msvc install-part, if not having required msvc 2019 and winsdk already installed. No script needs run as admin. Msys2 etc is run automatically for you. Last, not related, but the other repos for Win7 and Win10 for x86(in addition to the x64 repos - I have 4 deluge2 repos), produces x86 builds(runs on x64 also) but needs x64 host to build, as gvsbuild needs that, so out of my hands. Thanks again.

Anyway, you should be able to run petersasi's older dev38 installer id guess, since uses Python 3.8.x

Btw, got bug reported previously and found win7 has some issues with deluge2. For one if using classic theme in win7 then default theme in deluge2 installer is incompatible and you need select something else. Second, for some, which have extra USB floppy or maybe cdrom drives, then something in deluge or python triggers a message about needing insert disc in the drive at startup - I haven't pinpointed yet what issue is, but only on Win7 not when run same build under win10, and not anything I did as same on fully clean source build. If keeping disc/floppy in drive, then avoids this issue + I found if taking dic/floppy out then if right clicking drive in explorer and selecting eject, then comes an error from windows since empty already, but this also fixes it, same as a reboot does, untill using disc/floppy again, which again needs this. I haven't been able to pinpoint the issue, to report on bugtracker, despite running through dbg debugger and whatnot, just fails/triggers in run_profiled() section, or whatever was called.

EDIT: Thanks alot again eddycatboy, indeed there where a stupid error in the install_components.cmd, so you needed run msys2 manually and resume, as you correctly stated before - Fixed now and pushed to repo(s). I'm currently waiting on the full stack completing, to see if other issues needing fixed. Will edit in final update later. Much appreciated! :) PS: should have made an option in build_menu.cmd for building everything, so not needing insert 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, but was just because you often only need do that once, and then later just update a component or two and/or deluge itself, as needed/wanted, and not everything again, e.g. update libtorrent 1.2.x and maybe deluge-dev if new commits, and not rest - as the older build stuff always is stored for later use/inclusion - also, you don't need build installers(8 and/or 9 option) if not needed, as can test/run/copy built deluge from it's subfolder stored for you in main folder)

Edit2: Gtk building issue, investigating... (and need check if also on win10 repo(s))
Found out what was cause the error for number 9, i had to use number 6 (Deluge-stable) or 7 (Deluge-dev) first then use number 8 or 9. I thought 6 to 9 where the same where it will make a installer or it install at first. it didn't know it was just for building deluge.

Update, the installer i made is half size of the normal mb(26mb, not 50-51mb) and the newer Deluge dev51 isn't working from the installer i made/used.
Going to try again, using the other numbers all at once.

Update 2: didn't work, tell me when you're done with the bugfixing. i'm gonna need a new installer, have to rollback with a older install :mrgreen:
Last edited by eddycatboy on Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Understandably, not particular clear I know see in hindsight, sorry for confusion again and for reporting, which prompted me to find other stuff needing attention too - still testing in background btw, and found also issue with gtk3 building if already having msvc 2019 and winsdk installed, but not an issue when not having it, and I install it for you. Will update previous post when finished.
eddycatboy

Post by eddycatboy »

mhertz wrote:Understandably, not particular clear I know see in hindsight, sorry for confusion again and for reporting, which prompted me to find other stuff needing attention too - still testing in background btw, and found also issue with gtk3 building if already having msvc 2019 and winsdk installed, but not an issue when not having it, and I install it for you. Will update previous post when finished.
Ok, i'm just experimenting with the cmd builder, Just telling you the number 9 error isn't problem now.

Edit: and for anyone else lurking, the old GUI problem i had, it's fixed now. the thing i had to was just update/reinstall Dokany (not sure on how dokany affects windows GUI still.)
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Yes, thank you :) Btw, I knew I remembered your name and had talked to you before, but didn't remember your issue specifically, so just googled it, and glad to hear it's gone. I saw you had old crashing issue, gone later and then got the "insert disc" message, which I didn't knew at the time what was about, but now after some reports and clues from fellow forum-member finally could reproduce myself in certain circumstances, and was as stated before, if having used an external drive and not rebooted since, then that strange error comes only on win7 but not win10, and I couldn't find yet what triggers it, but workaround is whenever using your external drive, then after ejecting, then rightclick it and select eject and get an error from windows, and that's it, workaround done and not issue anymore, untill next time using drive. Another workaround is keeping disc in drive. Third, as said, reboot. Also remember the issue of not using default theme on win7 if using windows classic theme, as breaks deluge also, so select other theme during install, as the other 3 works.

@all, just in case anyone was interested, then i'm soon finished fixing the issues, but will first be tomorow when I fix the last missing parts. Also issue on win10 repo's with gtk3 builds, but only if having msvc2019 yourself and not if not and my script installs it for you, which i'll too fix tomorrow.

Anyway, since I just did a bunch test-runs, then thought that since petersasi not releases windows 7 builds, and stated to not be interested in doing such either, then I hope he doesn't mind that I as a one off, post the build I just made, so people don't need build themeselves this time. Its a win7 x64 build, with latest everything, gtk3, libtorrent, openssl, deluge etc, and just the python used isn't newest, but latest 3.8.x(3.8.8) since win7 only support python 3.8.x, which is only thing differring between this win7 build and win10 builds.

deluge-2.0.3:
https://paste.c-net.org/ToolsNepal

deluge-2.0.4.dev51:
https://paste.c-net.org/BelittleStatus

Edit: Fixed the issues in my build-scripts, both in win7 and win10 repos, and pushed to github, though still not resolved the win7 issues out of my hands i.e. insert-disc dialog with recently used external drives, and default theme broken if using windows classic theme.

Edit: Sorry just noticed yarss2 cannot do https feeds with these above deuge builds, as I had removed two files I thought was redundant, so readded them back and rebuilt, and tested working again.
Last edited by mhertz on Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
eddycatboy

Post by eddycatboy »

mhertz wrote:Yes, thank you :) Btw, I knew I remembered your name and had talked to you before, but didn't remember your issue specifically, so just googled it, and glad to hear it's gone. I saw you had old crashing issue, gone later and then got the "insert disc" message, which I didn't knew at the time what was about, but now after some reports and clues from fellow forum-member finally could reproduce myself in certain circumstances, and was as stated before, if having used an external drive and not rebooted since, then that strange error comes only on win7 but not win10, and I couldn't find yet what triggers it, but workaround is whenever using your external drive, then after ejecting, then rightclick it and select eject and get an error from windows, and that's it, workaround done and not issue anymore, untill next time using drive. Another workaround is keeping disc in drive. Third, as said, reboot. Also remember the issue of not using default theme on win7 if using windows classic theme, as breaks deluge also, so select other theme during install, as the other 3 works.

@all, just in case anyone was interested, then i'm soon finished fixing the issues, but will first be tomorow when I fix the last missing parts. Also issue on win10 repo's with gtk3 builds, but only if having msvc2019 yourself and not if not and my script installs it for you, which i'll too fix tomorrow.

Anyway, since I just did a bunch test-runs, then thought that since petersasi not releases windows 7 builds, and stated to not be interested in doing such either, then I hope he doesn't mind that I as a one off, post the build I just made, so people don't need build themeselves this time. Its a win7 x64 build, with latest everything, gtk3, libtorrent, openssl, deluge etc, and just the python used isn't newest, but latest 3.8.x(3.8.8) since win7 only support python 3.8.x, which is only thing differring between this win7 build and win10 builds.

deluge-2.0.3:
https://paste.c-net.org/EuropeWeddings

deluge-2.0.4.dev51:
https://paste.c-net.org/CelticWhoop
oh crap, thanks. Good luck with the fix.
also it's good to know what caused it, i had that bug for months.
therobin

Post by therobin »

mhertz wrote: deluge-2.0.3:
https://paste.c-net.org/EuropeWeddings

deluge-2.0.4.dev51:
https://paste.c-net.org/CelticWhoop

Edit: Fixed the issues in my build-scripts, both in win7 and win10 repos, and pushed to github, though still not resolved the win7 issues out of my hands i.e. insert-disc dialog with recently used external drives, and default theme broken if using windows classic theme.
Thank you for these. They both work great on my Win7 x64 system.

I also had the issue with insert disc on petersasi's builds. Seems to only trigger when after a disc is inserted and removed. If I boot and do not insert a disc, I can navigate the GUI and select a save location without issues. Sometimes when a disc has been removed, it complains. If I re-insert any disc, it works fine again and I can select a save location.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Thank you for posting therobin, appreciate that and you're very welcome :)

Yes, me and petersasi's builds in general are almost identical, and he cleaned up the scripts to be little more professional, and user friendly, plus removed warnings and such, that I didn't care about when not changing anything and just is info really, about e.g changing back to default build-option when none applied, which is what I wanted anyways etc. I'm lazy as said, though only where not matters and not otherwise, obviously. Last, when I say that these builds are not made in professional way, then it's not this I mean, as else had changed obviously, but is because python apps practically always on windows is released as freezed packages, but the tool for freezing is currently incompatible with deluge and the good people working on it(curtesy doadin and Cas), haden't come up with full solution yet, hence, this was just meant as a stop gap measure, if people wanted try it, that's all. It should though have no differing things about it currently, except bigger filesize on my builds, but petersasi did great job in finding which files unused by deluge and removing, but is little tricky because as we seen, breakage can occure, because maybe somewhere a file is needed later on anyway,hence I didn't add that yet. He also made a nice patch making deluge-console work and another to shut it up later, plus better compile option for libtorrent, plus recently found an even better one(LTO, or rather WPO), which I borrowed from him and also used elsewhere through there supported way of declaring these flags(openssl and two older libtorrent's). I borrowed all these from him obviously, except including yarss2 which he also added, which is great plugin, but if wanted include one extra, would have taken ltconfig, which Cas previously stated to planning to include in feature.My dev builds include some unmerged PRs additionally which I found appropriate e.g pretty much only one important, besides a few not so much and just added previously when development was stagnant. The important one, was adding IPv6 support and allowing bind to your VPN or whatever on windows through device name and not needing IP, plus multiple binds if wanted, plus IPv6 geoipv6 support, great work curtesy of Strangelovian. Finally, I instead of normal python, meant for development, use an embedded python zip distribution, meant for either distributed python apps, or if needing add python scripting to non-python app, where the former applies to us, and it include a file which further isolates the used python for deluge only, so as not interferring with rest of system, e.g in certain circumstances deluge could fail to start without such added measures, though isn't often encountered, but better safe than sorry I thought.

Yes, that error indeed comes after using disk and not rebooting as you stated. It's also there when building from source and running, with zero changes from me, and not packed in installer so not me introducing this, I tested. I spent a couple hours on it yesterday, but didn't come further sadly. I read up on pdb debugger and found there was other options for steeping deeper into the code during debugging, as I thought 'next' i.e "line by line", was good enough, but 'step' was even better I found(leaves current line to also step into called functions, and was why before just showed the error was somewhere in run_profiled() from deluge.common and nothing else - I btw bypassed that function, but then deluge doesn't start, and changing various things in it, like save path for output log to 'None' etc , or stopping cprofile importing etc, helps not either), but now it always show other error strangely, when coming through section of pkg_resources pyparsing module, line 367,which just returns a variable 'retobj', and I thought I found the issue from a "suspecious" basedir.py module from pkg_resources I noticed, because had much path lookups therein, but doesn't trigger when run manually this module without deluge. Anyway, as said, good workaround is right click drive in windows explorer and select eject, every time having used the drive and ejected disc, which shows error as no disc, and now deluge issue gone, so just remember "double-eject" on win7 + not use default deluge theme if using windows classic theme, I found from fellow forum member reporting, and I noticed he used classic theme in his posted screenshoot which I tested and found to be the culprit for that.

Thanks again.

Edits:

* Wasent meant to be that long, sorry, but just wanted to be thorough when going into the differences, e.g also since remember previous posts requesting writeup of the diffs between our builds not that I make builds anymore, besides a single special circumstance, but nonetheless.

* Currently there's gtk3 building issues on my win7 repos, though win10 repos work fine, even when specifying same older python, strangely. I'm trying for last few days sort it out i.e. gvsbuild didn't update anything related, so is it a msvc update, msys64 update or windows update breaking this suddently(all was updated recently), right after I just fixed it last, dammit! - lol ;) Sorry for inconvenience for anybody possibly affected. Currently tediously installing and testing different msvc versions, as many msvc updates in last weeks alone, which possibly related, but takes long time though.

* Sorry, just noticed issue with yarss2 and https feeds in previously posted win7 deluge builds, so fixed and updated previous posted links.

* Cannot find the issue with gtk3 building on win7, and same exact repo works fine for building gtk3 on win10 instead of win7, so untill, or if at all, finding the issue, then the win7 repos need win10 to build gtk3, like x32 repos needs (now win10-)x64 host to build gtk3 in x32 mode as gvsbuild demands that. Sorry for inconvenience.
alpe
New User
New User

Post by alpe »

Just updated from Dev3_ (can't remember the second number) and I've got missing icons on Dev50. Any solution?
Already tried uninstalling and installing again.
I'm using the default install options.
Attachments
deluge.png
deluge.png (1.25 KiB) Viewed 22098 times