Unofficial Deluge 2.0.x for Windows installer

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
mhertz

Re: Unofficial Deluge 2.0.x for Windows installer

Post by mhertz »

You're welcome, and thank you for letting me know about that. It's defenitely a false-positive and only change from last build, was a few lines changed in two CSS files, that's all. I have the AV enabled as per default in my win10 VM, and only use the VM to build this with and don't browse the net or whatnot on it, and just has contact to my linux host system for transfering files between if needed.

I uploaded the file to virustotal.com just so people can see it's a false-positive, with 0 out of 53 virus-engines testing it bad, and you can see md5sum of file to verify:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/8ac ... /detection

I believe you can go to downloads in chrome, ctrl+j ,and then select to keep file anyway, and then it will be available, a quick search showed atleast - I use a chromium engined webbrowser with vim-like frontend on linux and there isn't such check, so never noticed. Btw, I use the upload-site I do, beause supports command-line API for uploads, is https, and few adds, and so I made shell-extension to just rightclick a file, select upload and then a link placed in clipboard to paste into post here from linux as shared clipboard to VM. If file under 50mb I made other shell-extension for upload-site with zero adds and much longer availability before deleted, hence why I switch back and fourth based from file-size, and that pygame recent addition for sound notifications ability tipped it just over 50mb.

Anyway, to download dev-deluge installer, then copy the following line, and paste it into the address-line at top of windows explorer and press return, from the folder you want it in:

Code: Select all

cmd /c curl https://apiv2.gofile.io/getUpload?c=CvYMvJ&curl -O https://srv-store4.gofile.io/download/CvYMvJ/deluge-2.0.4.dev44.exe
(Extra curl command above is used to circumvent the direct-link protection - had to sniff traffic through browser's dev-tools during manual download to figure out how break protection lol)

Here's screenshot btw of the virus-total.com test-result I linked to previously:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (64.53 KiB) Viewed 5435 times
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

I rebuilt deluge-dev installer with the 2 new commit's from Cas. No other things updated, as no changes to components(just a few, entirely unrelated to deluge's usage, commits in gtk3).

[#3337|Core] Fix lt listen_interfaces not comma-separated
[#3325|Core] Fix unable to remove magnet with delete_copies enabled

The first commit was actually already included + extended with further and better functionality(e.g. can now bind to VPN interface on windows also, so no changing IPs needed anymore, and possibility to bind on IPv6 etc, by means of awesome work done by Strangelovian in his unmerged PR I decided recently incorporate), so this then just leaves the magnet fix, so if it's not applying to your use-case(using magnets with delete_copies enabled), then you can safely omit this upgrade.

I tested downloading again is blocked because deemed unsafe by chrome/edge. Im not gonna bother post virustotal/md5sum proof that this is a false-positive anymore, as already did last time, so to download anyway, then just select the 3 dots and select 'keep' and answer yes to keep regardless of the warning. Strange that it says in the warning that microsoft defender smartscreen has deemed it unsafe, even though defender doesn't think it's unsafe when running it here, just when downloading it, which was why I thought it was a built-in virus-checker in chrome, but apparently not and just uses your own, but just doesn't make sence, but whatever.

Also, as before here is a line you can copy and paste into address-bar at top of windows explorer and press return, from the folder you want it in. Like before, the line looks strange because needs extra curl call(and cmd's '&' operator to chain them together) to break the direct-link protection they use(though only needed if never having visited original link), which I initially needed sniff the traffic with chromium's dev-tools to find how circumwent:

cmd /c curl https://apiv2.gofile.io/getUpload?c=PLf6jn&curl -O https://srv-store4.gofile.io/download/PLf6jn/deluge-2.0.4.dev46.exe
Deluge-2.0.4.dev46
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Just wanted to add that i'm sorry for the trouble, but just found out that win10 doesn't say anything to me when installing from that deluge-dev installler, because I made the file and not downloaded it, but when downloading it from ssh/vnc'ing into family-members win10 pc, then I could only keep file from edge browser, not chrome, and regardless then little after download, windows defender blocks it as suspicious, so no-go, and the command-line I posted obviously wouldn't work then either, as just gets deleted afterwards.

You would need go into your windows defender settings and make an exclude rule for filename named like the installer and then download it again, i'm thinking. Annoying if having to do that everytime new installer comes, but I don't think globbing/asterisks is supported for the exclude rule, but honestly don't know anything about that.

There's many reports online of this happening, e.g. here with same trojan suspected despite clear virustotal score, exactly like our situation:
This file isn't digitally signed, so it has no trust status and is thus immediately considered suspicious by Microsoft security applications.
As a direct executable rather than a known installer, it's even more suspicious and dangerous since it could be abused by 3rd-parties to perform actions you never intended when writing the app.
Since it (obviously) manipulates portions of the Windows context menu structure, it's not only suspicious, but also potentially able to be manipulated as mentioned above.
Source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/pro ... bd1?auth=1

Likewise poster on stackoverflow reported experiencing false-positives on NSIS installers on win10 though windows defender, where other poster additionally reported:
As of 2020-12-21 it is registering a false positive on some installers for "Trojan:Win32/Spursint.F!cl", so this seems to be an evolving problem. I assume they'll sort it out soon enough.
(Same trojan referenced as in our case)

Then after that post, the main NSIS dev Anders stated:
There are no code changes you can make to remove the warnings. NSIS produces an application that extracts compressed files and executes interpreted code on the fly and this sometimes triggers false positives in antivirus software.

Your only option is to report the false positive to the antivirus vendor.
Source: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/488 ... -win32-spr
SchlauFuchs
New User
New User

Post by SchlauFuchs »

Hi, I found that the installation of dev46 is not working for me. when I run deluge.exe, the task starts and then ends quietly. I tried deluge-debug.exe and got this:

C:\Program Files\Deluge>deluge-debug.exe
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\Deluge\deluge-debug.exe", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:\Program Files\Deluge\lib\runpy.py", line 285, in run_path
    return _run_code(code, mod_globals, init_globals,
  File "C:\Program Files\Deluge\lib\runpy.py", line 87, in _run_code
    exec(code, run_globals)
  File "C:\Program Files\Deluge\deluge-debug.exe\__main__.py", line 7, in <module>
  File "C:\Program Files\Deluge\lib\site-packages\deluge\ui\ui_entry.py", line 42, in start_ui
    ui_entrypoints[entrypoint.name] = entrypoint.load()
  File "C:\Program Files\Deluge\lib\site-packages\pkg_resources\__init__.py", line 2460, in load
    self.require(*args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Program Files\Deluge\lib\site-packages\pkg_resources\__init__.py", line 2483, in require
    items = working_set.resolve(reqs, env, installer, extras=self.extras)
  File "C:\Program Files\Deluge\lib\site-packages\pkg_resources\__init__.py", line 785, in resolve
    raise DistributionNotFound(req, requirers)
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The 'pywin32; sys_platform == "win32"' distribution was not found and is required by the application
Kvothe
New User
New User

Post by Kvothe »

I have the identical issue. I am on a 64bit Windows 10 system. Build 38 works fine. Build 46 fails silently. Running deluge-debug.exe produces the same errors. It looks like pywin32 is missing from the build.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Sorry to hear you guys having trouble - it works here without any problems and nothing in debug.exe's cmd-prompt output except a few theme-related warnings that can be ignored. Pywin32 correctly installed and it's included modules importable I just checked manually. I have to google this a little and see if hopefully can find a fix for this situation, but the links are down for the dev38 installers(or was it petersasi's release you referred to working for you @Kvothe and not mine?) and I don't have it, plus there's several builds, so could anybody affected that still has there 38 installer, please kindly upload it somewhere and post me link, here or in a PM, thanks, and If not having installer anymore, but still installed, then just zip up the installed folder thanks and upload to whatever choosing of yours, thanks. I need to know exactly what's different in installed packages hence this request. I only know or guess that it's an older python, though the pywin32 package first got updated around end of november last year, so probably would be same version as now. I did quickly read, though unrelated, that someone on github stated he wouldn't update pywin32 to the newest version(not new post though) before he knew it wouldn't break 50% of the windows user-base - but unless using one of the early builds of dev38, then should have same pywin32 as now. Just rferring to can have issues presumably, though just is a first, hearing this here however.

Anyway, unrelated, but libtorrent 1.2.13 just got released, though only includes two extra commits additionally extra of what's included already, as using release-candidate branch as said, i.e. one for updating documentation, and another for fixing setup.py sending arguments to b2, but I already bypass setup.py and use b2 directly, so no change other than the string listing version number, but while investigating this first issue, I might as well update libtorrent and the installers in background, but that is only change i.e. deluge shows libtorrent 1.2.13 in it's "help > about" dialog. You probably have to make exclude rule for the filename or folder, atleast temporarilly, if using default AV of windows defender which shows false-positives for NSIS installers often. I had btw, to change uploading-site, as gofile.io was temporarilly having issues uploading files, and so just took another I found quickly that was https, so to avoid an extra blocking from some browsers as an unsafe website.

Deluge-2.0.3

Deluge-2.0.4.dev46
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Rereading the posted error logging again, refferences pkg_resources, which just got updated 10 days ago, and features some potentially breaking changes I now see, though strange I didn't experience them but nonetheless, could one of you affected please test one of these builds, e.g. you can just select portable install if wanted, into whatever user folder, just to test if runs and then delete folder afterwards to clear fully. Untill checking if other fix available for this, then I just forced to downgrade to previous version of pkg_resources(only 3 weeks old) in my build-scripts - it's not gonna influence deluge(the downgrade) other than hopefully not break it for those affected. Anyway, i'm pretty sure this will fix it, and so thanks alot for reporting SchlauFuchs and Kvothe! :)

Deluge-2.0.3:
https://paste.c-net.org/CrossesFrankie

Deluge-2.0.4.dev51:
https://paste.c-net.org/HavenChock

(Its not falsely flagged as a trojan anymore thankfully, and so just leaves smartscreen to warn you. Tested both can be downloaded fine in chrome, but in edge is blocked and so there needs selecting the 3 dots on the download at bottom-bar > 'keep' > 'arrow-down' > 'keep-anyway'. When running after download, will show smartscreen-blocking where you need select 'more-info' > 'run-anyway', or alternatively rightclick installer and select 'properties' > 'unblock' - I messed around with setting exclude rules from command-line, through powershell defender module, to post here or in script, but it didn't effect the edge blocking or the smartscreen block when I tested it and neither when done manually in windows security settings/defender, dunno why, as no seperate smartscreen exclude rules available I believe, except turning off, which isn't a good idea, as nice feature regardless)

Edit: Updated the dev installer because didn't notice before that an error was posted in cmd output when running deluge-debug.exe, though despite it seemingly working fine still, Also while at it, included "lto" optimized build of latest libtorrent, thanks to build-options borrowed from petersasi, and also shaved 8mb from install size from unused icons. Also updated the stable deluge installer meanwhile, because of the space-saving and "lto" rebuilded libtorrent. Thanks petersasi for "lto" build-command.
Last edited by mhertz on Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

I'm just gonna repost here what I just posted in ticket #3201:
Please forgive me for off-topic, but just wanted to add that I upped my deluge2 build-scripts on my github around 5 months ago, and just didn't announce it because wasen't ment to compete with petersasi's new maintainership, and just ment for posting my fixes if needed, but as he's busy at the moment, then I thought I might as well post a link, so if interrested people can build deluge2 with latest python 3.9.x, deps and installers, and works as of now atleast.

Again, note is not made in normal professional way, as still not possible because issues, but is just something to mess with if wanted, untill real official release emerges, using proper building techniques. -Don't blame Cas or other of the devs for my possible mistakes!

I now use the embedded python zip distribution, scripts can be run from any path/location, not needing admin rights, except initially install_components.cmd raise UAC dialog for installing msvc. All components extracted in build-dir instead of installed on system, except msvc which needs installing, but is installed into build-dir and when selecting uninstall_components.cmd, then it's uninstalled from there, so not wiping your own msvc install if having such. Because of msvc you need a few GB of space for this.

Note, I have extra deluge2 repo's for win7 and x86, which worked at one time, but I haven't bothered updating them to python 3.9.x etc, so shouldn't be tried, unless updating scripts yourself manually. Main repo is win10 x64 only.

I hope petersasi returns again to take over maintainership, or if other windows user would release installers on the forum, then would be appreciated, as don't know how long i'm gonna mess with this here more, as since said, not windows user myself.

Last, there's sometimes missing files reported or warnings, which can be disregarded, as i'm pretty lazy and sometimes don't bother make checks, or correct warnings if doesn't affect end-result anyways, so just cosmetics. If build finishes with a built product, then it did work.

https://github.com/mhertz/deluge2
Source: https://dev.deluge-torrent.org/ticket/3201#comment:89
Last edited by mhertz on Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kvothe
New User
New User

Post by Kvothe »

I just downloaded and installed mhertz's Deluge-2.0.4.dev46 build. It worked. I have not tested much yet but it opened fine. I note that its size is 51,824KB instead of the 34,542KB for deluge-2.0.4.dev46-lt1.2.12-boost1.75-py3.9.1-ossl1.1.1i-GTK3.24.23 which I downloaded from the link in the 1st post in this thread and which is the build that failed.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Thanks for reporting Kvothe, and for mentioning that new build by petersasi, as I didn't knew he had made one :)

@petersasi, thanks for the release mate and glad to see you back :) Sorry I didn't notice your new build, and so I'll step down again. You can check my repo for inspiration if wanted. Thanks again mate, appreciated.