Dow can I use deluge without my ISP threatening me?

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
straightupstaticx
New User
New User

Dow can I use deluge without my ISP threatening me?

Post by straightupstaticx »

SUMMARY:

I'm a basic PC user. I am getting letters from my ISP (Xfinity) telling me to stop torrenting. I want them off my back, so:

1. What is the bare minimum I need to do so they stop sending emails/letters?
2. What are the core basic things I can do (settings/etc.) so that I get optimal speed and efficiency?

Speedtest.net results: download: 45mbps (put sometimes hits 75), upload: 6mbps (but sometimes hits 8)

Preface:

Using: Windows 10 (updated) McaFee Total Protection, Window Defender, Dell XPS 13 9360, Deluge Client: 1.3.15/libtorrent: 1.0.11.0 (DL recent).
Torrents: YTS, YST

Goals
Primary Goal: To torrent with deluge and have my ISP leave me alone
Secondary Goal: to setup Deluge properly so that it's as fast and efficient as it can be (while)
Tertiary Goal: (and) anonymous enough so that my ISP gets of my back (whilst) paying $0 for anything (i.e. VPN)

Introduction:

I'm just a basic PC user. I don't know how to change code, use python, glade, linux and I am pretty new to bittorrent.

I read these primers:
https://www.rapidseedbox.com/kb/ultimat ... uide#speed
https://www.best-bittorrent-vpn.com/how ... ously.html

and a bunch of posts of the forum regarding how to never seed, or stop seeding, when ratio reaches, changing ratio from 0.5 (default) to 0 etc. etc.
Proxy: SOCKS5, "High" Anonymity, Speed: 1480ms, Loccation: US IP: (changes often) 184.185.2.149 (port) 4145
Proxy List used: https://hidemy.name/en/proxy-list/?coun ... non=4#list

Story
Now I have changed several things since my wife started getting emails from Xfinity. I have been torrenting (aggressively) for 3 days on, 3 days off, 3 days on. So 6 days in total but non-continuous. During that time I have experimented with changed many values/settings.

Xfinity emailed us within days of my first torrent. Mistake? I wasn't used "forced" encyption, and it wasn't "full stream".
Changed it to forced and full stream. So in theory that combined with SOCKS5 Proxy (or maybe even without proxy) could be enough to where my ISP stops threatening/tracking my torrenting

What I don't want is a result where they stay on me which either result in: lawsuit, internet shutoff, or a bunch more notices (which will make my wife freak out and that's reason enough to resolve this, lol). Plus I want to keep my internet. Not many ISP's around here. Everyone uses Xfinity it seems in Colorado Springs (thought I am moving to Phoenix AZ in a month).

Questions:

Now I don't know what "high" anonymity means on hidemy.name. ANYONE?

Or if someonbody knows a better free list/method?
If I could have deluge use an add on to auto select a proxy that is: SOCKS5, Anonymous Enough, and Fast/Reliable. That would be nice.THOUGHTS?
Also does ANYONE know, if a proxy IP changes or otherwise stops working, what does Deluge do/default to ???

The Proxy is NULL and VOID if I can torrent without my ISP being on me.
ISP leaving me alone in priority #1!

UPDATE:

I accomplished 2 major things TODAY that may affect this:

1. I changed "stop seeding when share ratio reaches" from "0.5" to "0.0" (remove torrent is checked, total active seeding is 0)
This effectively stopped finished downloads from seeding once they are finished (among other things?). They used to seed immediately

2. As stated above I changed encryption to BOTH I/O FORCED and FULL STREAM

NOTES/QUESTIONS:

-last email from ISP (Xfinity) was BEFORE I did the 2 above
-when I view the per torrent settings it shows:
"stop seed at ratio: 0.5". Now I can change this to zero and try to select all, but it seems to keep coming back. "remove at ratio, checked, no #" AND all per torrrent bandwidth seems to be set at unlimited
^^^DOES not the above contradict the 0.0 ratio set in general queue settings? Does this put me on ISP radar?

-I read that torrents can still LEECH while they are downloading, even though they don't SEED when the download is finished and auto-queued.
Is this true? Does this put me on ISP radar? If so how do I change it exactly?

ALSO
I'm MORE than willing to seed or leech some as long as:

1. My ISP gets off my back
2. it's doesn't slow down my DL and internet speeds too much

I have 5 screenshots of my settings I am willing to share if that helps regarding all ideal settings being correct.
Can anyone take a look and help me make sure all my settings are ideal?
***(I'd be glad to share all 5 of them but I first want to make sure it's safe, okay conduct, and wanted info)

SUMMARY (again):

I'm a basic PC user. I am getting letters from my ISP (Xfinity) telling me to stop torrenting. I want them off my back, so:

1. What is the bare minimum I need to do so they stop sending emails/letters?
2. What are the core basic things I can do (settings/etc.) so that I get optimal speed and efficiency?

Speedtest.net results: download: 45mbps (put sometimes hits 75), upload: 6mbps (but sometimes hits 8)
straightupstaticx
New User
New User

Re: Dow can I use deluge without my ISP threatening me?

P.S. I will update you if the 2 changes above stop the letters from Xfinity as soon as I hear something (or not).
straightupstaticx
New User
New User

P.S.S. If a VPN is the only solution. Period. And nothing else will do it, then I'm willing to pay $3-$5ish/mo as long as my Internet speeds are similar.
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

Hi,

- A VPN or a seedbox are the only options to hide what your are doing so far I know. The proxy option is an unknown area for me but there are topics about it and possible answer there.
- The encryption option is only there to fool the ISP throttling. Back in the days ISP regulate the P2P speed by packet header, this was the solution. You can set it but it won't hide anything.
-The queue settings is only there for your ration, nothing related with the ISP radar. For public trackers you may use it but if the ratio matter then do not use it. All seeding torrents participate to your ration, even if every single torrents need to read a seedtime/ration. (most of the time=seed time)
- the tracker used maintain the list of torrents/torrent parts you have with the tracker update function. This is not leech properly said.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Funny ass post lol :)

Agree with shamael of-course :) You can get 10gb free bandwith a month, with windscribe VPN(no persistent ip or data logging/data-sharing according to its privacy-statement/TOS - ip log deleted 3 minutes after ended connection), maybe double if posting on public media or some bullcrap, or else just get whatever cheap reputable vpn or seedbox, or proxy if just enabling force_proxy/anonymous_mode in ltconfig plugin, or directly in deluge2 settings(though might as well use VPN as same price roughly, and more resistant to possible libtorrent/deluge proxy related bugs occuring), as nothing else will get your ISP/wife of your tail :) I think btw, windscribe also have a single location option also, unlimited bandwith, for 1 usd a month(in addition to there full service, which you might as well could go elsewhere for imho, as can get more reputable(known/verified) vendors for same or cheaper price). Limiting seeding helps, but not a full solution, and shamael already explained nicely about encryption in client plus all the rest stuff you wondered about.
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Post by gderf »

Exactly what is Xfinity saying to you? Typically, they don't know about or even care about what your packet stream is. However, if they are getting complaints about copyright infringements, it's because the complainers harvested your IP address from the swarm, and Xfinity is only forwarding those complaints to you.

If you are getting infringement complaints you will need change the way you do things. I strongly suggest you spend the few dollars per month for services from reliable VPN, SOCKS5, or seedbox vendors who have crystal clear logging policies. If you are trying to do it for free you are making a mistake.
straightupstaticx
New User
New User

Notice of Action under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)
Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxx,

We have received a notification by a copyright owner, or its authorized agent, reporting an alleged infringement of one or more copyrighted works made on or over your Xfinity Internet service.

Incident Number: xxxxxxx

Report Date/Time: 2020-08-26T02:19:51Z

What’s the issue?

The copyright owner has identified the IP address associated with your Xfinity Internet account at the time as the source of the infringing works. The works identified by the copyright owner in its notification are listed below. We remind you that use of our service in any manner that constitutes an infringement of any copyrighted work is a violation of Comcast’s Acceptable Use Policy and may result in the suspension or termination of your service and account.

What you need to do

Please search all devices that may be connected to your network for the file(s) mentioned in the complaint details below and delete them. For additional steps you may take and if you have any questions regarding this notice, please call us at 877-842-2112.

For more information regarding Comcast’s copyright infringement policy, procedures, and contact information, please read our Acceptable Use Policy for High-Speed Internet Services at xfinity.com/policies. You can learn more about our DMCA repeat infringer policy at xfinity.com/dmcapolicy.

Copyright work(s) identified in the notification of claimed infringement:

Infringing Work: Pulp Fiction
Filename: Pulp Fiction (1994)
Infringement Date: 2020-08-26T02:19:51Z
Infringement Type: BitTorrent
Infringement Method: BITTORRENT
IP Address: xxxxxxxx
Reporting Party: IP-Echelon Compliance <p2p@copyright.ip-echelon.com>
Reporting Party Case: ae77972f1624900a6cd2

*I replaced too private information with X's
straightupstaticx
New User
New User

Bear in mind I have been downloading with a good (checking 1 minute ago, but "high" level of anonymity per the site, idk what that means for them.
All my info is provided in detail above. The only more info I could provide would be the 5 screenshots of my settings. And I have gotten NO emails since 8/25 and have been downloading aggressively everyday since.

I haven't gotten another email ever since I changed:

1. stop when seed ratio reaches (with great difficulty) from 0.5 (default) to 0.
2. And have changed encryption from 'enabled' I/O to 'forced' and 'either' to 'fullstream'
straightupstaticx
New User
New User

Here is another email I got on 8/17. BTW I got the exact same type of email posted above on 8/17 as well.

Here is the other email from 8/17:

This alert from Comcast is to let you know we’ve received a notification of alleged copyright infringement associated with your Xfinity Internet account. That means your Internet service may have been used to copy or share a movie, show, song, game or other copyrighted content without any required permission. We’d like to take a moment to remind you of our compliance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”), which is described here.

Note that under the DMCA, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate, as well as apply other interim measures to, the Xfinity Internet service – and to terminate all other Xfinity services – of any customer or user who is found to infringe a third party copyright, who we, in our sole discretion, believe may be infringing such rights, or for whom we have continued to receive notifications of alleged infringement even after Comcast has sent multiple repeat infringer alerts to the customer about these allegations. You can learn more about our DMCA repeat infringer policy here.
straightupstaticx
New User
New User

I guess I will wait and see if the changes were enough. See if I get another email.

In the meantime. Given my initial post any other suggestions on how to best set up deluge for speed and reliability? (and anonymity, for free, for the moment).

Anyone?
Do you want to settings screenshots, or just tell me the values to input?