Deluge not working at some public wifi locations?

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
overunder27
New User
New User

Deluge not working at some public wifi locations?

Post by overunder27 »

VPN's are neat, but I'm still a firm believer in the "don't s**t where you eat" philosophy of using a burner laptop on public wifi for torrents. I had three go-to locations that had killer speeds: a KF'nC, a WackArnolds and a public library. Recently, I was at the colonel's and noticed Deluge refusing to download. I drove over to the pedo clown's establishment and was shocked to discover it wasn't working there either.

Long story short, I tested out Deluge and a few other torrent programs like Vuze at 10+ public wifi locations and discovered that at every food joint they have some kind of block on it. I'm not talking about PirateBay being blocked on browsers, it was always like that... I'm talking about torrent downloads somehow being blocked within the program itself. I'm assuming these franchises have consulted outside tech people to come in and configure their networks to block the torrents themselves? Oddly enough, all the public libraries still work... I was just downloading there yesterday perfectly fine, but I imagine it's only a matter of time before they hire the same people to come in and block it after they get that next threatening letter in the mail?

Are there any workarounds for getting Deluge to work at these places after they've blocked it?
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: Deluge not working at some public wifi locations?

Post by shamael »

it depends about the way the D/L is blocked. Maybe the protocol is not allowed or only 80/443 ports are working. There is many thing that can be done to avoid such traffic and each situation is local specific.
WilliamhGibsona
New User
New User

Re: Deluge not working at some public wifi locations?

Post by WilliamhGibsona »

It’s really odd, because I downloaded some adobe programs literally a day before yesterday in Mcdonalds. However, I did use VPN, my SurfShark beloved, and it is possible that food joints just don’t really care about these things in my area. If I were you, I would use some premium VPN, because as it seems for me a good one can fix anything.
Last edited by mhertz on Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Needless link and paragraph removed.