*OLD-THREAD - SEE NEW* [Unofficial] Deluge 2.0.x installer

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
ss4johnny

Re: [Unofficial] Deluge 2.0.x installer

Post by ss4johnny »

First of all, I want to say thank you for this. I have been using the most recent official version of deluge and I randomly get crashes, related to YARSS2, I believe.

I just installed this for the first time. I tried the default installation first. When starting up, it took a while and when I clicked on the window I got a message about it not responding and asking if I wanted to let it quit, which I did. This happened to me twice so I decided to try installing the fallback. This also took some time to start, but I didn't click on the window at all so there was no error message and it started up fine. I think my issue with the startup was that I had a lot of torrents that needed to get loaded and it took some time and I wasn't patient enough. Nevertheless, the best part about the installation has been that all of my torrents and information from my plugins (once installed) was all still there.

One thing that might be improved is that when I was using the "Install Plugin" feature, I noticed that I cannot just copy in a location, you can only navigate to it. For whatever reason, this meant I couldn't navigate to a hidden folder, like %appdata%.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Sorry petersasi for posting(/interferring) about this again, and going against my own word on that too, but just thought was important for all to see regardless.

I apologize petersasi, you where right all along and I wrong, so I'm sorry for that. The issue was news to arvid, but finally was decided to not be a libtorrent bug and instead being an issue in certain windows openvpn clients instead, like official openvpn open-source client(openvpn.net) and others using that backend without adding further non-default-route-interfaces blocking/masking capabilities on-top, and occuring when used in combination with libtorrent 1.2.3+, because of added multi-homed support.

Anyway, as petersasi stated, then to fix you need bind your interface to VPN(needed if using such client/libtorrent combo and without firewall rules etc, or if using manual routing, but nice regardless).

Interface names are supported for both incoming and outgoing fields(in libtorrent relevant settings that is), but in deluge only 15 chars allowed in each field, and libtorrent only supports GUIDs for windows interface names(in curly-braces and uppercased) , which is over 15 chars, so you need use local IP of VPN instead, and i'll make deluge ticket about this later. (Interface GUIDs can be seen by running from elevated cmd: 'net start dot3svc & netsh lan show interfaces & net stop dot3svc', without quotes, but as said not functional in deluge currently, unfortunetly)

The libtorrent docs state to include port for incoming command, but don't do that in deluge, as does that for you internally, plus not even possible, as 15 chars only, as stated.

You can also use deluged's -i and -o commands for in/out-binds, e.g from script, but still GUIDs not supported there and still 15 chars max, as else added stripped to that(-o) or not at all(-i).

In quick testing of this, with local IP of VPN used in both fields, didn't show the issue anymore with the ipmagnet test. (Regarding announces, incoming libtorrent bind option is used for among others, udp tracker announces and dht, and outgoing among others tcp tracker announces etc)

Ohh, bro's ifacewatch plugin states only supporting Unix hosts because of backend lib used, but in changelog it states to now include also ifcfg for OSX and freebsd support, plus deluge2 support, and when looking up ifcfg then it's atleast now stated to support windows too, through ipconfig command, but I couldn't enable it on windows and debug logging wasent helpful and just stated plugin couldn't be enabled without specifying reason/error. I renamed it to *py3.8* first of-course. Regardless, even if worked, then the code to me looks like it only sets the incoming field, which also was only thing supported in deluge1, and also ifcfg backend lib doesn't support non-english/US localizations enabled for windows as then fails parsing ipconfig output, and ticket still open for it.

Anyway, regardless I'd recommend setting up a few firewall rules with windows firewall for restricting in/out of deluge to a subnet of your VPN's local IP resolutions, and disallow for subnet of your local Lan addresses of true IP, which I do for family member using windows(and qbittorrent), and in which case binding to IP in torrent client is still nice, but optional then, as not strictly needed.

Just added for people not reading back and looking at said libtorrent ticket. Also, there's been much discussion in past about how these binding options even work in deluge, e.g if interface names supported etc, and last was raised here(forum), it wasen't answered(I couldn't at the time, and neither anyone else did), and so clears that up too.

Edit: https://dev.deluge-torrent.org/ticket/3415#ticket
Last edited by mhertz on Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
petersasi
Leecher
Leecher

Post by petersasi »

ss4johnny wrote:One thing that might be improved is that when I was using the "Install Plugin" feature, I noticed that I cannot just copy in a location, you can only navigate to it. For whatever reason, this meant I couldn't navigate to a hidden folder, like %appdata%.
This really is not a windows installer issue, but indeed that is a weird dialog box used by the Deluge devs.

However if you browse into

Code: Select all

C:\Users\<your username>\
just right click the file list and enable "Show Hidden Files" - then you should be able to enter AppData. ;)
ss4johnny

Post by ss4johnny »

Ah, thanks.
willd
New User
New User

Post by willd »

Hi! I tried searching the thread for anything like it, but couldn't find anyone with the same issue.

I connect to my remote Deluge instance through an ssh tunnel with the following config: -L 127.0.0.2:58846:localhost:58846
It seems I have to re-enter the config each time I start Deluge now, as the save feature doesn't seem to take. On Linux it works just fine, so could there be some permission or location related issue with the Windows builds?
petersasi
Leecher
Leecher

Post by petersasi »

Is this the ssh config? As far as I remember the -L deluge command line option is for setting log level, e.g.:

Deluge.exe -L warning
willd wrote:Hi! I tried searching the thread for anything like it, but couldn't find anyone with the same issue.

I connect to my remote Deluge instance through an ssh tunnel with the following config: -L 127.0.0.2:58846:localhost:58846
It seems I have to re-enter the config each time I start Deluge now, as the save feature doesn't seem to take. On Linux it works just fine, so could there be some permission or location related issue with the Windows builds?
eddycatboy

Post by eddycatboy »

Oh i forget to post, after a month of doing nothing and not knowing, the gui is fixed somehow.

I'm just here to post the error when it crashed while trying to move deluge's window/gui (when it wasn't working):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<WERReportMetadata>
	<OSVersionInformation>
		<BuildString>7601.24548.amd64fre.win7sp1_ldr_escrow.200204-2038</BuildString>
		<Revision>1130</Revision>
		<Flavor>Multiprocessor Free</Flavor>
		<Architecture>X64</Architecture>
		<LCID>1033</LCID>
	</OSVersionInformation>
	<ParentProcessInformation>
		<ParentProcessId>3348</ParentProcessId>
		<ParentProcessPath>C:\Program Files\Deluge\deluge.exe</ParentProcessPath>
		<ParentProcessCmdLine>"C:\Program Files\Deluge\deluge.exe" </ParentProcessCmdLine>
	</ParentProcessInformation>
	<ProblemSignatures>
		<EventType>APPCRASH</EventType>
		<Parameter0>pythonw.exe</Parameter0>
		<Parameter1>3.8.2150.1013</Parameter1>
		<Parameter2>5e55a7f2</Parameter2>
		<Parameter3>gtk-3-vs15.dll</Parameter3>
		<Parameter4>3.24.17.0</Parameter4>
		<Parameter5>5e9c2f86</Parameter5>
		<Parameter6>c0000005</Parameter6>
		<Parameter7>00000000002a2f4d</Parameter7>
	</ProblemSignatures>
	<DynamicSignatures>
		<Parameter1>6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48</Parameter1>
		<Parameter2>1033</Parameter2>
		<Parameter22>33b1</Parameter22>
		<Parameter23>33b1292f605f525a46100e726a9b3b98</Parameter23>
		<Parameter24>7b87</Parameter24>
		<Parameter25>7b876e42e455bbd56f375573d1866c1c</Parameter25>
</WERReportMetadata>
and when i updated python and started deluge i got this Image
Note this is from the last version (deluge-2.0.4.dev37 & deluge-2.0.4.dev36)
petersasi
Leecher
Leecher

Post by petersasi »

Hi,

Thanks for reporting!

I have not seen such an error before, but please note the latest versions that we provide here: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/fold ... Yl7XuWYpVT are 2.0.4dev38 and Python 3.8.3 is bundled with that.

Does that still crash for you?
Did you try it choosing different LibTorrent versions at install, if it does?

Please also note that Windows 7 support officially ended January 14, 2020, and it would be really hard to support any OS no longer supported by it's own vendor, but most people can still run Deluge 2.0 on Win7, YMMV.
eddycatboy wrote:Oh i forget to post, after a month of doing nothing and not knowing, the gui is fixed somehow.

I'm just here to post the error when it crashed while trying to move deluge's window/gui (when it wasn't working):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<WERReportMetadata>
	<OSVersionInformation>
		<BuildString>7601.24548.amd64fre.win7sp1_ldr_escrow.200204-2038</BuildString>
		<Revision>1130</Revision>
		<Flavor>Multiprocessor Free</Flavor>
		<Architecture>X64</Architecture>
		<LCID>1033</LCID>
	</OSVersionInformation>
	<ParentProcessInformation>
		<ParentProcessId>3348</ParentProcessId>
		<ParentProcessPath>C:\Program Files\Deluge\deluge.exe</ParentProcessPath>
		<ParentProcessCmdLine>"C:\Program Files\Deluge\deluge.exe" </ParentProcessCmdLine>
	</ParentProcessInformation>
	<ProblemSignatures>
		<EventType>APPCRASH</EventType>
		<Parameter0>pythonw.exe</Parameter0>
		<Parameter1>3.8.2150.1013</Parameter1>
		<Parameter2>5e55a7f2</Parameter2>
		<Parameter3>gtk-3-vs15.dll</Parameter3>
		<Parameter4>3.24.17.0</Parameter4>
		<Parameter5>5e9c2f86</Parameter5>
		<Parameter6>c0000005</Parameter6>
		<Parameter7>00000000002a2f4d</Parameter7>
	</ProblemSignatures>
	<DynamicSignatures>
		<Parameter1>6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48</Parameter1>
		<Parameter2>1033</Parameter2>
		<Parameter22>33b1</Parameter22>
		<Parameter23>33b1292f605f525a46100e726a9b3b98</Parameter23>
		<Parameter24>7b87</Parameter24>
		<Parameter25>7b876e42e455bbd56f375573d1866c1c</Parameter25>
</WERReportMetadata>
and when i updated python and started deluge i got this Image
Note this is from the last version (deluge-2.0.4.dev37 & deluge-2.0.4.dev36)
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

That error is posted several times throughout the net for many different things, pythonw.exe or not, even notepad.exe etc. In one case was reproducible by user on one python version, but not the next/newer version, and that was with pythonw.exe like poster, but never happened to me or any reporter here, where python has been continually updated from 3.6.x and up to 3.8.3 currently.

You shouldn't upgrade python for deluge as embeds python for own usage allready.

It's very strange that somehow another disk/partition is refferenced, for no reason, but some state that it often happens when having a drive without a memory disc in it or whatnot, but doesn't explain why even trying to reference said disc out of the blue suddenly.

When reported to different projects, the devs very often say that they cannot reproduce, so gets closed again, so seemingly happens in small select circumstances where something other is going on, or a bug happening only to select few.

Reboot machine if havent already and try again, and as said use newest version of petersasi's installer, and remember local python install is irrelevant for petersasi's project/installer here, though I have checked before that you can e.g. have local python running e.g. in different version number, or same, and also use deluge from installer here(with it's own python version) at same time without issue. Also, if happens again after rebooting, then if wanted you could try obtain deluge debug-log, to see if something relevant is logged about this when happens: 'deluge -L debug -l %userprofile%\deluge.log', possibly also needed from deluged, if using thinclient setup. Most probably not installer related, but maybe debug logging possibly reveals clues as to why this happens for submitting bugticket upstream, if actual bug, and not something else messing things up.

One thing, though doubt it, is that when running any of the deluge exe's, then my little "hack" is run first, which adds to PATH + a python 3.8 needed search-path setting, for the running session, and that is done by firstly changing your dir to the deluge dir before afterwards adding to PATH/py3.8-setting, as else you would need to go to that dir always first and start deluge from there, and so desktop/startmenu-shortcuts wouldn't work(unless modified with 'start-in' for each shortcut), hence why I did that to make it work. Anyway, I'm then thinking if that has something to do with it(I mean, the logic of finding install dir, chdir() and relative paths), but cannot see why should, and as said, doesn't happen for rest of us, plus is posted many times online, which doesn't use my hack obviously. Just added this for full reference/disclosure. Btw, in previous python versions, then you could add to PATH yourself and delete that hack if wanted(for testing purposses), but now with py3.8 you need that hack, as adding to PATH yourself isn't enough, as py3.8 introduced a new search-path setting to fix a long time bug of just relying on PATH for that. If needed to rule this out possibly later on, then I can provide another path.pth file(said "hack") which adds install dir's needed subfolder in hard-coded path, to PATH and to the py3.8 needed thing, without the current logic, if just hearing first your deluge install-dir location, to then rule that fully out, but as said, I'm 99% sure this isn't related though.

Edit: After thinking about it some more, then no, that is for sure totally unrelated, so just scratch above statement. Also, I've tested the dev 36 build + previous versions, before on a physical win7 PC of a family-member(before upgrading it to win10), without any issue either.
eddycatboy

Post by eddycatboy »

petersasi wrote: Does that still crash for you?
I already said everything was working again, that was just an old log when my gui wasn't working, again i'm just here to show the log and report what happen since i forgot too.