*OLD-THREAD - SEE NEW* [Unofficial] Deluge 2.0.x installer

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
mhertz

Re: Deluge 2.0 Windows 7z-sfx-installer available.

Post by mhertz »

I saw in the debug-log that there where an error about gettext/locale failing to be initialized, in the deluge2 install from Cas's install instructions, and thereby, my installer too, and this was also shown on screen everytime starting deluged.exe or deluge-web.exe. I saw in the deluge code that this error gets printed whenever missing libintl-8.dll or libintl.dll on windows. I'm running a clean install of win10 btw in VM and so missing said file. I got the missing file, which needed another file additionally(downloading them from normall dll-files pages didn't work as where x32 and I needed x64, but found both files in the zip of gvim for windows-x64), and added it to installer and am waiting for my batchfile which rebuilds the installer to finish compressing up everything, and afterwards i.e. in a minute or so, i'll update link in first post - I'm not gonna make an edit, as this is also not very important, atleast if using standard US language in deluge, but was just to avoid displaying an error in the logs(or screen when using deluged.exe/deluge-web.exe).

Still, the issue with the connection-manager not comming up is still there obviously, but always can be fixed by maximizing/minimizing window and sometimes if extra stuck, then dragging the window around a little.

Lastly, I was thinking about adding a couple extra startmenu icons, one for starting deluged.exe and another for deluge-web.exe, but I see on deluge2 the behaviour has been changed so that these two apps don't get run in background anymore like I see v1.3.15 did, so if selecting such a shortcut, it would show a blank dark terminal just sitting there for the entire connection, untill killing it(and there's no '-d' or '--daemonize' etc args either). I could easilly hide the terminal window and force it into background and make this happen when selecting such shortcut, but decided against, and im also thinking most people who uses this on windows is also only using the GTK-UI, and not many running the daemon or web-daemon on windows, but of course you're free to do so still, and the previous official installer also didn't include such shortcuts, which mainly is why i'm not adding them, or else would have done so.

Edit: For avoding download, uninstall and reinstall, just for this small change, then either of course just simply ignore it, as not really that important, or, otherwise I've here uploaded a zip-archive of the 2 needed files which should simply be unzipped into "%programfiles%\Deluge2" : https://gofile.io/?c=DJltSO
cemara
New User
New User

Post by cemara »

Getting outbound connection blocked by malwarebytes 204.12.234.66:58039, by pythonw.exe
don't think i recall seeing this on deluge v1
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

It's because it's not a "freezed" python install, as not working for now and hence this alternative installer provided in mean time. It's the same happening anyways under the hood so not an issue and just bigger diskspace used.

pythonw.exe in my installer is from official python v3.6.8-x64 installer. In addition to my installer then I have also Python v3.6.8-x64 installed in my win10 VM, for testing purposses, and I just ran a md5sum check on both binaries and pasted the result here - You can download yourself the Python v3.6.8-x64 and check yourself also of-course.

Code: Select all

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.547]
(c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. Alle rettigheder forbeholdes.

C:\Users\fooba>CertUtil -hashfile "C:\Program Files\Python36\pythonw.exe" MD5
MD5 hash of C:\Program Files\Python36\pythonw.exe:
05866c333d13100e5745c65a989efa33
CertUtil: -hashfile command completed successfully.

C:\Users\fooba>CertUtil -hashfile "C:\Program Files\Deluge2\pythonw.exe" MD5
MD5 hash of C:\Program Files\Deluge2\pythonw.exe:
05866c333d13100e5745c65a989efa33
CertUtil: -hashfile command completed successfully.

C:\Users\fooba>
Btw, If anybody wanna inspect what my installer does before installing, then you can just beforehand rightclick and extract it(needs 7zip or winrar etc), and there all the python, gtk, vcredist and deluge-files are located and which upon installation gets extracted to "%programfiles%\Deluge2", and then the batchfile named setup.cmd gets executed which e.g makes Deluge2 shortcut appear in startmenu and runs a regfile named uninstall.reg which makes an uninstall entry to windows add/remove programs menu, and that is setup to run uninstall.cmd when selected. In uninstall.cmd the program-folder, uninstall-entries in registry and shortcut is all removed - there is also e.g. the same line repeated twice, and that is not an oversight, but to workwaround a known windows bug regarding that command, in simplest way(otherwise sometimes leaves empty folder around afterwards).
Araldwenn
New User
New User

Post by Araldwenn »

Hello, I actually have Python 3.7.4 x64 already installed on my computer (need it for an other running program). I would like to update my Deluge 1.3.15 to Deluge 2.0. Can I do it using your installer, and if so, how should I proceed ?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Yes, I believe it should be no problem as it is setup to be self-contained and only lives in Deluge2 folder under %programfiles%, except for the startmenu shortcut and an entry in registry that enables it to be uninstalled through windows add/remove programs dialog.

Though remember that it only supports "normal" x64 setups where Windows/Program-files is on 'C' drive/partition, because some python files have there path built-in and I took them from my install in a VM with "normal" setup.

You should always backup your deluge profile-folder under '%appdata%\Roaming\deluge' firstly, and thereafter uninstall old deluge and then install my installer. Maybe you can have both installed and "runnable" both, but at first run of Deluge2 I believe it refreshes the config files up(core.conf atleast) to a new v2 format, and so I guess when afterwards running old deluge, then it will not understand the new config-format, but I haven't tested this myself.

I have read that the old deluge "states" format isn't compatible with the new deluge, so you will loose all torrent-data about running torrents, and this has also been confirmed by another user here. I tested this myself just with a single torrent, and that though did transfer automatically to the new version, but again, this hasen't been the case for others, why I have no clue honestly, but just be warned that you will have to start over, but important to have the backup if you change your mind and want to revert back to old deluge again, or if an auto-convert-method comes through soon also.

Good luck! :)

Edit: Just tested installing Python v3.7.4 in my Win10 VM and having it co-exist fine with my installer.
Araldwenn
New User
New User

Post by Araldwenn »

Thanks a lot for your (very fast) answer !
KrazyLurt
New User
New User

Post by KrazyLurt »

Great work on the installer!!

I have an issue, and reading through this thread it seems that more are having the issue.

Using Deluge on multiple monitors I have an issue that the context menu isnt showing up and Deluge needs to be shutdown.

Any workaround or fix?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Sorry, I couldn't reproduce it in my win10 VM, which I for this testing configured to emulate dual monitors, possitioned side by side, next to eachother, in my tiling WM on my laptop. I opened it a few times without having the issue, and also dragged it into the other screen without seeing it. However, if using thinclient, then it possibly is the issue I found where the connection-manager wouldn't come foreward either, and needing to minimize and maximize the window before pressing the connection-manager again, for it to work, or sometimes needing drag the window around alittle with mouse first. If using thin-client, then try messing with window-size first.

I thought the above maybe was a qemu-specific issue since none other reported it(while almost 400 had pressed the initial download-link I could see some time ago), but I now changed to using virtualbox instead, since faster than qemu-kvm in my tests, while also having a complete command-line interface I recently discovered, but I found same issue there too.

Else you could rightclick the startmenu-icon and select: 'More' > 'Open location' > rightclick 'Deluge2.lnk' and select 'Properties' > press right-arrow once > enter/paste ' -L debug -l %userprofile%\deluge.log' and try reproduce the issue and post log or error-parts of it here, which is saved as '%userprofile%\deluge.log'.

Good luck :)
KrazyLurt
New User
New User

Post by KrazyLurt »

I got it working!

The issue is display positions, when I have 2 displays active at the same time I had one extended display on top of the primary display, that made the context menu popping up at the extended display instead of the primary display were the actual Deluge window was.
Having a extended display left of the primary display doesnt work either for the same reasons.

But having the extended display to the right of the primary display did work flawlessly!!

In summary, for me anyway, it was all about the the extended displays x,y position relative to the primary.
I would have liked having the extended display were it was but this will do for now.

The reason I didn't pick up on this earlier is that I use hdmi audi to my reciever and because of shortcomming of hdmi, a display signal have to be sent. I don't ever use the "display", and I hope one day HDMI audio without display is "a thing"
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Im glad to hear you found a workaround, and thank you for posting back about it for others to see :) I googled it and found some mentions of likewise issue e.g an app called zotero, when googling 'gtk3 extended display context menu' , etc. No fix proposed and devs stated it was a known issue which would be fixed when backend libs was updated at a later time, and that app also uses gtk3, and so either gtk3 or its python-bindings issue I'm guessing. One stated he needed to resize the main-window for getting it to work, but then it only maybe worked half the time still, so no real fix.

BTW, I know it sounds crazy, but as enabling debug-logging(as described in previous post how to do) for some strange reason fixed my issue with the connection-manager window not coming forward half the time when clicking it, then maybe worth a shoot also to see if changing anything on your issue too? Anyway, if your workaround is fine for you anyways, then you of course don't need to bother with that, plus also rather much a "long-shot" :)