*OLD-THREAD - SEE NEW* [Unofficial] Deluge 2.0.x installer

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
petersasi
Leecher
Leecher

Why -debug.exe versions are suggested for Services

Post by petersasi »

Nota bene: I did not know this either and I believe 99% of us does not either.
I think it would make a lot of sense to rename them to -daemon.exe, or -nofork.exe?

Just my 2c.
mhertz wrote:Just a quick note about that I was kindly made aware by bengalih, that there where an issue with the debug daemons in these installers, as they forked off/backgrounded themselves, mistakenly, and hence, practically where identical to there regular counterparts.

The issue was actually a screw-up of mine, which bengalih also posted to me, and so I fixed it and reuploaded installers, and many thanks to bengalih for the kind help and feedback, as I honestly didn't even knew what debug exe's specifically where about(as don't exist on linux), and just thought they where maybe little more verbose in error-messages, which they can be(shows possible missed console output errors, if any, missed by logging), but also doesn't fork off/background themselves, which e.g. is preferable for service usage for proper shutdowns, instead of daemon getting killed off instead, I learnt(on linux we have a switch simply, to controll forking behaviour(-d) on main daemon).

I got originally a small codefix from tobbez for an issue, wayback, I reported for deluged and deluged-web, and then thought the fix also applied to there debug versions too, which wasen't the case and hence my screw-up.

If not using any debug exe's then you don't need update to new installers as only change.

I apologise for the mistake and inconvenience for anyone affected, and thanks again bengalih, much appreciated mate!
petersasi
Leecher
Leecher

Re: [Unofficial] Deluge 2.0.x installer [Unmaintained/unsupported]

Post by petersasi »

So, I have just realized with great sadness that MHerz, _the_ provider of practically the _only_ solution for Deluge 2 on Windows (yes, I have also failed to be able to build with the official "instructions") finally got tired of the struggles documented on the last 47 pages of this forum.

1. First and foremost I would like you express my (our) greatest gratitude for helping out with such a superior installer as well as the great support for it!
2. I have actually read through all the pages of this thread with occasionally posting questions and solution fragments, so I know he went out of his way to even facilitate things like the GeoIP DB (re)integration that is really not even mandatory for proper operation.
3. During the last 7 pages it struck me we are not speaking about a substandard, unofficial installer created by MHerz, but actually this is probably the only installer with the bleeding edge latest version of GTK, Python, libtorrent etc.and the necessary debugging / patching / backporting effort to make that possible.
Amazing work, hope this sentiment is going to be carried forward by the other devs!

Finally, to actually try and contribute something useful: I would like to offer to carry at least the regular, automated builds forward as long I can get the automation scripts themselves and the versions to install of each build tooling?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Daszator, you're welcome mate :)

(Edit: I hadn't seen peterasi's latest post above when replying here underneath, and so was replying to his previous posting before that, and did reply to his latest post above in my next post following this one)

peterasi, thanks for making me look less stupid then :D

I see it was added in v1.3.6, over 7 years ago, and is mentioned in troubleshooting wiki support section regarding windows specific logging, and in service setup instructions, though as said, I hadn't paid enough attention to it honestly, and I agree it's probably not that widespread knowledge-wise, though is documented however. Maybe a rename to something else would help, I dunno, but I wanted to keep things as close to upstream as possible when I worked on these installers, but yeah, somewhat confusing agreed.

You could always submit a ticket under suggestions/feature-request heading if wanted.
Last edited by mhertz on Fri May 15, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

You're killing me here, you guys! :D I am unable to express how appreciative I am of your extremely nice supportive post regarding my modest contribution here(of other people's great work), and you sure as hell made my day with that, so am flabbergastingly trying to reach for words to even remotelly express how appreciative I am of you posting this, so thank you so much my friend for that! :)

Thanks for your offered help, that's great, though I then need to first clean things up a bit for more general usage(so little less confusing to others than me), and need write instructions to go with it e.g folder structure needed, and components etc, and I'm about to be more busy in the following time also, so it will take little time before I'm able to submit it, but will do in time. Note, I could zip up everything and upload and give link right now, if wanted, and allready previously did when that was requested before, but unless specifically requesting that, then i'd rather try if I can make it little less confusing to others, and write the instructions to go with it, which I didn't the last time.

Again, I know I've said this many times, but I just don't wanna portray something it's not. The unofficial installers are merely glorified manual source installs, just with tweaks and fixes to make it work/look like a real installer. Well, the part the installer installs I mean, as installer itself isn't non-standard really, or atleast not that much. Again, it's mostly theoretical difference(not freezed, but still isolated, runs through python(w).exe internally, instead of python.dll, though still supports using own python or other python apps, at same time, etc), and not much changed regarding actual usage, but I just thought it to be better than nothing, when not being clever enough to work on the actual problematics hindering this, which obviously I would have done instead, if was able too.

Thanks again to all you nice supportive helpful good people around here, I truly much appreciate you all :)
petersasi
Leecher
Leecher

Post by petersasi »

Yes, pretty much what build software to install on what windows / linux OS, folders, scripts and than I can allocate an old ThinkPad to keep building it time to time, if you want me to :)
Please do it if and whichever way you like it.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Thanks for offering again, and sure I think that would be great :) Still as said needing some time for preparing more, and have just e.g. narrowed it down to a single version of visual c++ builds-tools, instead of two, as each is several GBs. I'll rather update it to be more generic, then write a bunch of instructions to go with it, to explain my folder-structure, tools and different scripts etc. I'll get back to you at a later time when finished, or closer to it atleast, and thanks again mate.
StuffAndThings
New User
New User

Post by StuffAndThings »

Thanks mhertz - unwittingly installed a new Docker image of deluge which has moved from 1.5 to 2.0.3
Realised my old thin client wasn't working! But panic over once I found your installer.
Much appreciated!
Deluge GTKui Client: 2.0.3 on Windows (thanks mhertz), runs as thin client, talking to Deluge 2.0.3 on an Armbian box (Odroid HC2)
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

:)

Thank you for your nice post StuffAndThings, and signature, appreciate that alot mate, that is kind of you to be that supportive! :) Not that I'm the one who should be thanked, but makes me happy to see, not gonna lie :) You're very welcome mate of course, and thanks again.

@Petersasi/all, still not finished yet, but just finished a batch file which downloads, installs and configures all needed components needed/called, I.e visual C++ build-tools 2019(with win sdk etc), msys2(with patch, diff and git etc, plus needed for gtk3 building) and NSIS(with needed plugins and includes). Then still needs change the different building batch-files for deluge, libtorrent, gtk3 and installers, to use a more generic folder-structure and such, and test it works still as before, but as said, will post again when done, and just wanted to say that I've not forgotten about it. BTW, the batch-file for initial setup, does download and use curl.exe(and 7z.exe for a NSIS plugin in non-standard zip format, so built-in windows functionality cannot unpack it). I know curl is included in newer win10 builds, but thought it should work for also older win10's or e.g Win7 etc. I need curl(or wget) btw, because downloading some links e.g needing redirection, or issues with ssl(https) sometimes fail using built-in windows functionality(powershell here, and as said, curl.exe not included in older windows), I'll as said post back later, and can take some time.
Last edited by mhertz on Tue May 19, 2020 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
petersasi
Leecher
Leecher

Post by petersasi »

So far I think I am okay, let me know when to proceed:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\PéterSasi>curl --version
curl 7.55.1 (Windows) libcurl/7.55.1 WinSSL
Release-Date: [unreleased]
Protocols: dict file ftp ftps http https imap imaps pop3 pop3s smtp smtps telnet tftp
Features: AsynchDNS IPv6 Largefile SSPI Kerberos SPNEGO NTLM SSL

C:\Users\PéterSasi>"\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" t NUL

7-Zip 19.00 (x64) : Copyright (c) 1999-2018 Igor Pavlov : 2019-02-21
Although I do follow the curl lead developer's blog and I gotta say 7.55.1 is shamefully old: August 14 2017 (https://curl.haxx.se/changes.html)
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Nice :)

Btw, I've not spend any time in script for checking if you already have python, visual c++ build-tools, msys2 or nsis installed and so when installers for those being downloaded and silently/unattended installed, then maybe will fail, unless I add some checks for that first. Well, usually the app in question is updated I'd presume(haven't tested that, as I always uninstalls components first before testing it), but I have then to check if you e.g can have python installed twice in different paths, also if same version possibly etc or other conflicting possible scenario encountered(my other build scripts frequently uninstall/reinstall python, and wouldn't want it to wipe your main python dev environment obviously, by mistake, if having such, etc).

Edit: Doh! Just noticed from your home-dir/username, that im misspelling your user-name, as is really small sometimes when reading from phone. Sorry about that mate.