*OLD-THREAD - SEE NEW* [Unofficial] Deluge 2.0.x installer

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
Arviel
New User
New User

Re: [Unofficial] Deluge 2.0.x installer.

Post by Arviel »

It seems that the Adwaita-Dark theme is no longer working on the latest updates. I simply get a white theme whenever i select it.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Arviel, i'm sorry, I see what you mean and just fixed and rebuilt/uploaded(also libtorrent 1.2.x to get single commit added today, but again nothing important). Thanks for reporting, much appreciated, and welcome to the forum mate :)

burny, I apologize, you where right of course, and just got confused when you mentioned adwaitax download which wasen't needed, but understand it could look like that, when not working by default. I completely forgot checking it when came home, I must admit, and just first checked it now after Arviel's post.

The issue was that while checking through the theme source files, then I wanted to make it easier to figure out how to change theme yourself manually, and so where I before just had commented the line out that specifies theme to use, as adwaita theme is default, then I uncommented that line, and changed it to specify 'adwaita', which I never done myself, since default as stated(there's a second line underneath, not default, specifying dark variant, btw), but other people maybe doesn't know that, I thought(personally I would have omitted that line entirely as default, but again for "readability" and personal modification purposses, I just commented out the line specifying win32 theme, which was default used in these installers, so could be uncommented to easilly go back to that). I knew normally the theme declarations was case-insensitive, e.g. if adding Nordic theme folder then it could be specified as 'nordic' fine. So I also specified 'Adwaita', as just 'adwaita', like I use 'win32' for default win32 theme in these installers. However, with the two built-in themes, then the names are not case-insensitive, but case-sensitive specifically this time, as specific reserved keywords, which I had forgotten completelly, and so wasen't loaded properly when I specified it in lowercase. Confusingly, the win32 theme is lowercase, but whatever.

Anyway I changed it back to default and just commented the line out(and changed the faulty 'adwaita' part to 'win32' like previously, for quick reverting or change to other theme, if wanted later), but could also had added 'Adwaita' instead, but as said, default anyways.

If not wanting to reinstall just for this(and single added libtorrent commit not very important), then you can simply change 'adwaita' to 'Adwaita', or instead add '#' infront of that line, in file: INSTALL-DIR\data\etc\gtk-3.0\settings.ini.

Again, i'm sorry for the screw-up and apologise for not testing it better, but I honeslty don't test every single part after each update, so am relient on reports like these from you guys and hence, much appreciate the reporting, so many thanks burny and Arviel!
Arviel
New User
New User

Post by Arviel »

That was fast! Thank you for all the work you have put into this, it has been working flawlessly.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Glad to hear it and thank you too mate, appreciate your nice words and reporting :)
pinksherbetf8
New User
New User

Post by pinksherbetf8 »

Many thanks to u @mhertz
Just installed 2.0.4 dev version
Im glad that finally I can use 2.x on Windows (with dark theme!)
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Hi there pinksherbetf8 :) I'm glad to hear it's working for you, so thanks for reporting and nice words, appreciate that.

The Deluge devs sure did a good job there.

Welcome to the forum btw, just saw your other post about the, agreed, crazy registration question here :) Though Cas specifically wanted something not to obvious for spam-avoidance around here, which before that, was a big problem.

BTW, I once forgot my password after a long hiatus, and then when typing wrong one a few times, trying go from memory but failed, then I was asked to answer a question which by mistake wasent there! Luckily, I thought to check registration page in another browser tab, where there where a question showing and then could go back and hoping it was the same, could answer that question, which was accepted, luckily. Now that is difficult when not even showing you the question they want you to answer :) I posted it to Cas afterwards, so hopefully not an issue anymore.
pinksherbetf8
New User
New User

Post by pinksherbetf8 »

Hello, and yea... haha :--D
I hope they will attach your installers onto official webpage. It would be way more approachable than serving very outdated, potentially unsafe windows builds
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Thank you pinksherbetf8 for expressing that :)

Though this is an installer made in not the regular official method, since that still unfortunetly is having issues, hence no official installer yet, and also wouldn't be good if the devs would get bug-reports about something I did to screw something up + they don't know what I have added or not added specifically(or removed), which maybe changes the situation somewhat. When people report an issue here, I judge if it possibly could be of my own doing(something I added/changed), and if not believing so and being pretty sure it's a generic deluge(2) issue, then I suggest filling bug-ticket upstream(deluge devs), or did it myself also, at times.

However, the differences from a real installer using proper official methods to make it/isolate-it, compared to the current state of this unofficial installer, is for the most part purely theoretical/technical at this point, and not any functional difference anymore, so shouldn't be anything to concern endusers using it about. However it's still the reason for that I don't condone this unofficial installer to be made "more official" and even suggested more/recommended more and that it frankly fits more in a community forum section like here nicely imho. Though I much appreciate the sentiment and honestly always makes me happy to hear such, frankly, but still, it's not the way to go, but thank you and all others who have suggested such, or likewise.

BTW, the only thing from top of mind(percievable difference), is bigger install-size and installer-size, though that could be trimmed down likewise, but just got bored of doing it, after the first big reductions in size initially, as is a time-consuming job of trial and error.

Sorry for long blabbing about, but just wanted to reiterate my standpoint again, and explain for people possibly not heard it before.

I wasent clever enough to work on the actual issues that still is delaying an official installer(doadin tackled main issue of this btw, and has fixed most of it already) so just thought I would help out in the little way I knew how, in the mean time until actual official installer was ready.

The official documentation for deluge, documents how to build from source, for windows users that want deluge2 in the waiting time, and this is the recommended approach to do, and this here just is for if having issues with that, or to lazy, or don't wanna reinvent the wheel when already done here, etc. Before making this installer, I posted batch-files to do this automatically, and then decided to package everything down, with some additions, tweaks/tricks and cleanups, into a 7z sfx installer as had done alot of those back in the day as a windows user, and then finally thought why not to just use the NSIS method, since offered more advanced scripting possibilities and which the official installers also used(though as said, underneath, somewhat differently setup), and hence this thread here came to be.

I should probably add a condensed version of this, somehow, to first post here too, which I keep up to date, to not need reading through long babbling of mine just to keep up with what's new.

In addition to official docs on building from source, then also there's a really nice project from doadin which offers ready made batch-files to build everything from source, regarding deluge2 and its deps, which I would whole-heartedly recommend, and which also helped me out with inspiration regarding building gvsbuild(gtk3 stack), when initially having issues with that(mainly because of msvc stupid path incompatibilities regarding different install paths for same msvc version, as several different installers for same msvc version): https://github.com/doadin/DelugeBuildFromSource

Thank you all :)
Last edited by mhertz on Fri May 08, 2020 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Antivenom
New User
New User

Post by Antivenom »

Hi guys i came with a stupid question how can i get the taskbar icon to show as deluge
Attachments
taskbar
taskbar
Annotation 2020-05-08 094104.png (5.53 KiB) Viewed 3102 times
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Hi Antivenom, and not dumb question at all, in fact thanks for raising it, as didn't knew about that issue.

Just for others reading this, i'll explain that usually when starting deluge from desktop shortcut or start-menu, then the icon showing up on taskbar is the correct deluge icon.

To make a "quick-launch" icon, probably just named taskbar icon, or pinned taskbar icon, or what have you, in win10 these days(and not 10 years ago ;) ), then i'd just drag the desktop shortcut, if having such, down into the taskbar, and an entry is made there also with correct icon, or do the same from the start-menu shortcut, if not having desktop-shortcut.

The issue with this, is that it works fine and looks correct, but when clicking on it, then makes a new adjacent, also correct icon, so you now have two, one for the "quick-launch" shortcut and one for the running app.

Also, another issue is If not having any shortcuts for deluge in taskbar, and starting deluge and rightclicking icon showing up in taskbar and selecting "pin to taskbar", then it will stay there after ending deluge, and will not have correct icon(pythonw.exe), and also will not work when clicking it as nothing opens, as links to pythonw.exe and not deluge.exe unfortunetly. If rightclicking and again rightclicking on the python entry and selecting properties, then you can change the shortcut to deluge.exe instead of pythonw.exe, and link will work again, but will still make an adjacent temporary icon next to it on taskbar for the running time of deluge. The icon can be changed from 'rightclicking > properties > change-icon > INSTALL-DIR\Lib\site-packages\deluge\ui\data\pixmaps', but as said, might as well drag desktop or start-menu shortcut to there instead, to save these steps for you.

Lastly, if dragging deluge.exe from install-dir and down onto taskbar, as probably Antivenom did if I had to guess, then the icon is wrong and another adjacent icon comes up whenever running deluge from it, like the previous examples. Again, might as well do it the other way I stated previously, but also again, can be fixed by the change-icon method described in previous paragraph.

I honestly don't have any solution to this issue, and if finding such a fix, then will of-course implement it and make a note of it here, but this is an issue of the way I make this setup of deluge in these installers, which isn't the standard official way, as not ready yet, unfortunetly. When running deluge.exe, then it also opens pythonw.exe to start the functions called by deluge.exe, so hence makes a second shortcut when run, as thinks it's two seperate components running.

I could of-course change the icon of pythonw.exe to deluge's icon too, and the exe's of all components(currently I only changed the shortcuts for those, instead, in start-menu and desktop), but again, this wouldn't fix the issue of there becoming two icons in taskbar whenever using quick-launch/pinned-taskbar-item.

Sorry about that, and again, i'll update if coming up with, or finding a fix, but not too sure it's possible, atleast for me, and with way this is setup.

@all, btw, I made an update to first post describing that this is not done in ordinary professional manner as still issues with that, and just something to try in mean time if wanted, and so not a recommended solution and actual recommended approach would be latest released official installer, or build yourself from source deluge, using official docs or e.g. doadin's repo for building deluge2 and all it's deps from source through provided batch-files. I wanted to have the first post as short as possible and to the point, so that's why I never added such in first place but in hindsight I should have done, as pretty important notion nonetheless of course, sorry about that. I have said this though many times over, throughout this thread, but cannot expect anyone to possibly have seen that of-course. Also, the reason that I reiterate this again, in depth, is additionally because of pinksherbetf8 comment, then also because was recently shortly discussed/raised in that #3201 ticket of issues with deluge installer availability.