*OLD-THREAD - SEE NEW* [Unofficial] Deluge 2.0.x installer

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
mhertz

Re: [Unofficial] Deluge 2.0.x installer.

Post by mhertz »

PhiliP, and others interested in adjusting yourself the built-in win32 or adwaita themes:

To not need rebuild gtk3 with changes yourself like I did, then you need download and place the theme files from git as a new theme in deluge, adjust and enable. You need change name of theme, because if defining to use win32 theme, then built-in version is used, as reserved keyword, just like adwaita, and so to get deluge(gtk3) to see and use your changed theme-files, you need change name of folder(hence theme too) and call that theme with it's new given name(from settings.ini).

For win32 theme, now called win32x by me, then font size and type is adjusted on line 25 and 26 of file 'gtk-win32-base.css'. The 'gtk-font-name' and 'gtk-font-size' fields doesn't work for that theme from settings.ini, as gets overwritten by theme itself duing initialization. I already included my fix for better readability of unfocused selection fields, to not loose that when switching away from built-in version.

Remember, win32 and adwaita calls built-in versions, and win32x and adwaitax calls the modified by you versions(from settings.ini).

When finished, you need copy that changed folder, after you've made changes, to safe place, and recopy it over to right place after upgrading deluge with new version, unfortunetly, to not loose modifications.

Anyway, extract one or both archives into 'Install-dir\data\share\themes', so it features folder(s) ending in x there, and a 'gtk-3.0' folder right under it, with theme files(*.css etc) in it.

Then edit following file to call theme wanted: 'install-dir\data\etc\gtk-3.0\settings.ini'

Code: Select all

[Settings]
gtk-theme-name=win32x
Or:

[Settings]
gtk-theme-name=adwaitax
Or for adwaita-dark:

[Settings]
gtk-theme-name=adwaitax
gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme=true
win32x theme: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 1160085837
adwaitax theme: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 9297230905

Edit:

There is seemingly something wrong in general with how gvsbuild builds the adwaita-icon-theme, as it even with the reverted working version has always complained about some missing png's during building, but just warnings and not actual errors which would stop the building completely. I didn't bother to report it, because as far as I could see made no difference, but I just now discovered where it does make a difference but isn't a usual use-case though.

Gvsbuild doesn't build the actions folder with png's in the 10 or so folders for different icon-sizes from actions folder, in sizes above around 16x16. It does build them in newest version, but have the other error of replaced icon files. Anyway, It will only be an issue in deluge if trying to manually change a theme to use bigger than normal buttons for the toolbar and wanting adwaita-icon-theme also for that. If doing that, then icons will still come through, but just from the hicolor backup fallback icon theme in gtk3. I'm going to report also this on gvsbuild, but as said it's not an issue for us, unless changing something in a theme away from default. I could also just copy over the missing folders with pngs from the working linux package I have installed here, but as not an issue normally, then I will not do that and instead wait for getting it fixed upstream.

@PhiliP and others interested in toolbar icons and sizes

If one want's to see if they like the hicolor icon theme better, then strangely I couldn't get it to show from calling it from settings.ini, so maybe it only works as fallback only, and I didn't bother looking it up honestly, to lazy right now, as messed with this to long already :) But I found that if you rename a specific folder then it comes forward, so if e.g. adding a '-disabled' or '-off' or whatever, to the name, then it comes through. The folder is: 'Install-dir\data\share\icons\adwaita\scalable'. Then a very easy way to get bigger icons, though makes more icons bigger e.g. the bottom bar too, but if can live with that, then rename again with '-off' or whatever on: 'Install-dir\data\share\icons\adwaita\16x16'. Even bigger with doing also this on the '22x22' and '24x24' folders. If changing mind, then rename back all folders afterwards. Note, if the issue I mentioned above with missing pngs wasen't there, then the bigger icons would be from the normal adwaita-icon-theme, and not from the hicolor fallback icon theme, but I can send you a zip of the missing pngs if needed, which I think will work to get the usual icons instead there, just bigger, or so i'm guessing, haven't tried yet, but keep in mind it makes other icons bigger too and not only toolbar, e.g. bottom bar and also in icon in the header-bar or how it's called etc. Here's some shots btw. First is the fallback hicolor theme, at same size, and second is bigger icons and second is even bigger, as detailed in my instructions above:
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (32.47 KiB) Viewed 4363 times
Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (43.44 KiB) Viewed 4363 times
Untitled3.png
Untitled3.png (38.13 KiB) Viewed 4363 times
highvoltage
Leecher
Leecher

Post by highvoltage »

Hey mhertz

thank you very much for all your work, do you plan to update libtorrent-1.2.6?

@Doadin @mhertz is there any ETA from when we will have an official release for windows?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Thanks mate and you're welcome :)

The default libtorrent in these installers(1.2.x) is always from newest release-candidate branch(also 1.1.x just other branch), and I usually update and rebuild it, and installers with it, once or twice a week, depending on development there. I updated to v1.2.6(from git), after the commit made that tagged the release, before it was yet announced on homepage or download link updated. You can always check which version it is from, by in GTKUI select 'help > about' menu.

Sorry, I don't know how far til official release, or how far along doadin is with his nice work on getting the freezing part working through pyinstaller, which is the remaining obstacle I believe, as he haven't posted in relevant ticket in a while, or here, but his last update was that he had finished most of the work already, so either the last little part is proving exceedingly difficult, or he's busy with real life at the moment. There haven't been anything important in develop git branch of deluge yet either(one recent commit unrelated to regular deluge users, meant for testing/developing).
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Just a quick note about that I was kindly made aware by bengalih, that there where an issue with the debug daemons in these installers, as they forked off/backgrounded themselves, mistakenly, and hence, practically where identical to there regular counterparts.

The issue was actually a screw-up of mine, which bengalih also posted to me, and so I fixed it and reuploaded installers, and many thanks to bengalih for the kind help and feedback, as I honestly didn't even knew what debug exe's specifically where about(as don't exist on linux), and just thought they where maybe little more verbose in error-messages, which they can be(shows possible missed console output errors, if any, missed by logging), but also doesn't fork off/background themselves, which e.g. is preferable for service usage for proper shutdowns, instead of daemon getting killed off instead, I learnt(on linux we have a switch simply, to controll forking behaviour(-d) on main daemon).

I got originally a small codefix from tobbez for an issue, wayback, I reported for deluged and deluged-web, and then thought the fix also applied to there debug versions too, which wasen't the case and hence my screw-up.

If not using any debug exe's then you don't need update to new installers as only change.

I apologise for the mistake and inconvenience for anyone affected, and thanks again bengalih, much appreciated mate!
pwhodges
New User
New User

Post by pwhodges »

I've been running your install using nssm and the "debug" binaries for a couple of months now, and am not aware of any problems. Was it OK when I installed, or are the problems actually quite subtle and maybe unimportant?

Paul
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Again, just "quick" note that I haven't got any reply yet on my gvsbuild ticket off adwaita-icon-theme, though as said isn't an issue for 99% of you and only regards custom themes and wanting big toolbars with default icons, but regardless. I tried three different versions of said icon-theme, and three different librsvg versions(two working, one failing), which is a dep to the icon theme, which easilly could be related to the issue, but no working combo found and so propperly need patching of some sort, and so still waiting for reply on it.

Anyway, i'm not gonna mess more with that untill getting a reply I think, so just decided to replace the bad icon theme version with a working mingw64 msys2 windows build, as msys2 already is a needed dep for gvsbuild, so might as well take it from there, atleast in mean time when not broken in gvsbuild anymore. There's no difference in files/contents by doing this vs if the gvsbuild builded version was working, exact same outcome. I rebuilt installers with said change, but for vast majority you don't need update as doesn't concern you the slightest.

Also, I saw in binhex's build script for his docker deluge images on github, that he chmod 000's the included stats plugin i.e. "hides" it from deluge so you cannot enable it, because of bug submitted earlier to deluge and still not fixed. The bug is that when having the plugin enabled, which isn't by default, then there's a warning message displayed in the log repeatedly every x amount of time about some issue, when having logging enabled, though Cas stated it probably rather should have been merely debug and not warning messages, and in my quick testings the plugin did enable and seemingly worked fine for me, so I myself don't see the need to "hide" the plugin, and will still let it be up to user if wanting to enable or not, and if doing so, then you'll have to live with these warning messages in log, untill fixed upstream, so up to you. Just a FYI, as just learned this too. This is the warning log message referred to btw:

13:55:31 [WARNING ][deluge.core.core              :655 ] Session status key not valid: num_connections
13:55:32 [WARNING ][deluge.core.core              :655 ] Session status key not valid: dht_cache_nodes
13:55:32 [WARNING ][deluge.core.core              :655 ] Session status key not valid: num_connections
13:55:33 [WARNING ][deluge.core.core              :655 ] Session status key not valid: dht_cache_nodes
13:55:33 [WARNING ][deluge.core.core              :655 ] Session status key not valid: num_connections
Lastly, just a quick couple of pics for comparisson if wanting bigger toolbar icons with now working adwaita-icon-theme. The quickest, is to simply rename these two folders to another name, e.g.:

Install-dir\data\share\icons\adwaita\scalable > Install-dir\data\share\icons\adwaita\_scalable
Install-dir\data\share\icons\adwaita\16x16 > Install-dir\data\share\icons\adwaita\_16x16

The pics/shoots, are this time with gtk_csd=0 btw and first pic default win32 theme unmodified, and next the same with above listed modification, and last the same with adwaita theme. Even bigger toolbar with renaming also 24x24 etc, but didn't show that. If not doing it this easy way, then you'll have to make an edit to the CSS theme files directly(and before you even can do that, then you need firstly download my zipped up win32x or adwaitax archives and extract to correct place and edit settings.ini, so above solution much easier). Anyway, here's pics(and sorry, last pics of toolbar buttons lol :) ):
Attachments
Untitled3.png
Untitled3.png (32.3 KiB) Viewed 4207 times
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (29.12 KiB) Viewed 4209 times
Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (27.28 KiB) Viewed 4209 times
fmar
Leecher
Leecher

Post by fmar »

Hi @mhertz

Just wanted to let you know that I recently upgraded my Deluge to your "deluge-2.0.3 (2020-04-19) gtk 3.24.17 libtorrent 1.2.6" build.
At first it looked fine until I realised that I couldn't resume none of my torrents. It took me a while of uninstalling, downgrading, uprading etc. to finally figure out that I forgot you "update" my plugins to Python 3.8 :roll:

Anyway, since then it's running fine with about 1400 torrent on Windows Server 2008 R2.
The only issue I'm having is that I had to downgrade to libtorrent 1.2.3 to be able to use a VPN connection. Libtorrent 1.2.5 or 1.2.6 just wont connect.

And I want to say thank for your time and effort you put into those installers :)

Cheers
rav
New User
New User

Post by rav »

Hello guys,

I'm using your Deluge version 2.0.4.dev23 in a dark theme for a while, and thank you very much for this.

Now I just installed a very beautiful theme for Windows 10, my browsers and some apps. This theme is named Nord at Deviantart. The colors are based on the Nord colors.

I'd like to know if it is possible to get this colors on Deluge ?

My current result is this: https://i.imgur.com/5tR9rSe.jpg

This Gtk 3 theme can be found here, is it possible to get it on Windows, or is it an impossible mission?

Obviously that would be great.

Thank you in advance.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Thank you fmar, I appreciate that mate! :)

Thanks also for reporting. Yeah that plugin issue is annoying, and I wish plugin authors would stop using that, as optional and makes more sence if actually needing specifically a specific version, though probably better if deluged ignored this itself, like it supposedly should already from its changelog, but doesn't unfortunetly.

About libtorrent 123+, do you refer to the tracker error issue regarding your VPN, or something bigger, like no connection at all? If the latter, then I for sure need keep that 1.2.3 version in, as was speculating if should remove it possibly. If the former, then I made a ticket on libtorrent's github about it, and got explained it's normal and no issue and a deluge error to show this as an actual error for said tracker in question as just simply lo failing connect, obviously, but main connection connects fine(so error can be fully ignored). I've submitted ticket also of this deluge issue, to deluge bugtracker afterwards getting that reply from Arvid.

Thanks again, appreciate the report and nice words :)
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Hi rav, I appreciate that, thanks mate, and you're very welcome :)

About your wanted theme, I just tested it, and it will look like the first pic with GTK_CSD=0, and second pic without GTK_CSD=0. (I know it's called GTK_CSD=1 obviously, but as no such option in installers, as gtk3 default behaviour, then I just thought it was less confusing possibly)

Note, I just use a stock unmodified win10 VM, so it's set to standard light theme or whatever is called nowadays, as haden't meddled with that at all, so if you have changed something in those settings, then you will probably get another look for GTK_CSD=0 than me, regarding titlebar line(you can probably get it dark is what I mean), but the pic without GTK_CSD=0, will look like me exactly at your setup too, regardless of settings, I believe.

This is because the theme already has png image files included and defined for the different various button icons used in different places, including titlebar, and also colors of things etc, so the only way to change that, is to run with GTK_CSD=0, which means to use windows itself and it's theming options, to draw that titlebar line and not the theme, or last resort is instead to replace the wanted png's with your own png's, but there's several usually of each button in themes generally e.g. hoovered mouse over, backdrop, black/white theme variation, size etc. so can be done fine, but just takes alittle time, especially if not used to messing around with such, like me.

Anyway, for GTK_CSD=0, then you can run nordic.exe and for without GTK_CSD=0, then you can run nordic-2.exe. It by default suggests %programfiles%\Deluge, as your deluge install-folder to modify under, but you can change that with the browse button and select other folder before pressing OK, and then a dialog will come up little after stating it's finished and OK. They both(exe's) asks for admin rights because most have deluge under %programfiles%, which needs that to modify it's files.

If you want to revert back again to Mantis-dark theme you're currently using, then you need to edit this file: 'INSTALL-DIR\data\etc\gtk-3.0\settings.ini', and change 'gtk-theme-name=Nordic' to 'gtk-theme-name=mantis.'

I removed 70% roughly of the theme's size, as wasen't needed for deluge here, so cut little over 6mb away.

If not happy with how it looks anyway, then just disregard the exe's of-course and keep your default :)

nordic.exe (forces GTK_CSD=0 / pic1) :
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 5491621739

nordic-2.exe (doesn't force GTK_CSD=0, so keeps your original setting / pic2(without GTK_CSD=0)) :
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 7817084625
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (28.97 KiB) Viewed 4134 times
Untitled-2.png
Untitled-2.png (28.64 KiB) Viewed 4134 times
Last edited by mhertz on Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.