*OLD-THREAD - SEE NEW* [Unofficial] Deluge 2.0.x installer

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
mhertz

Re: Deluge 2.0 Windows 7z sfx installer available.

Post by mhertz »

OK, I am making one small change at a time, untill finding the culprit. Could you please test these two, and you don't need rightclick and don't need uninstalling old installer first:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ajl1yq0BfB-diCFuDSA ... X?e=1iJ7Kl

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ajl1yq0BfB-diCJng_T ... x?e=f5wqVq

I have also stopped using the auto-elevate option in the installer template file, and instead directly made it auto-elevate through editing the installer module with resource-hacker, which seems more stable as I got that error one time on win7 and needing rightclicking>admin to install, which hopefully won't occure anymore now, and i'm hoping it's also related to your error(the setting in template file spawned a second process to do it etc).

Second installer installs in fixed place like previous installers little time ago, so no install path prompt shown during install.

Thank you.
dopedangel

Post by dopedangel »

The first test gives the error on start the 2nd test after extraction. Well this is as far as I will be testing the instalers. As I just quit deluge. Today suddenly my linux deluge crashed installing uninstalling previous version removing the settings nothing works so I am moving to qbittorent as I found a mass torrent migration script.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

If anybody have issues with the installers, though should be very rare, as been tested by me, and the module's been used in hundreds of popular installers for over 10 years, like .NET and adobe installers etc, but anyway, in addition to kindly working with me to find the issue/fix it, then I have uploaded additionally 4 7z archives in link on first page, maybe i'll change them to zip later, but they can be extracted with winrar, winzip, 7-zip and most archivers available.

Note, if using the archives instead of installers, then you need to make a folder named Deluge2 under %programfiles% and extract the archive into that folder, and run deluge.exe from Deluge2\Scripts folder, or make a shortcut to that yourself. If/when wanting to get rid of it again, you just delete the Deluge2 folder, done.

I'll also shortly update the 4 regular installers to have "hardcoded" admin-elevation support, instead of using the option for that in the template-file, which should avoid at rare times needing rightclick>admin to install as workaround, which shouldn't happen anymore then.

Btw, i'm contemplating switching to inno-setup or nsis installer system instead, but just feel much more comfortable with the 7z sfx modified installer module, as been using that alot a little over 10 years ago when I used to use it for making unattended silent installers of all my used apps and drivers and integrating them for automatic install on windows install ISOs.

Edit: Changed the 4 alternative 7z archives(without installer), to zip instead of 7z, so as can be extracted by windows itself without needing anything extra installed. Also updated the 4 installers to use hardcoded elevation support instead of the old method used - note, by that I don't mean bypassing UAC prompt, but just to get to that point of getting that prompt, instead of failing install because of missing privileges.
idiocracy
Leecher
Leecher

Post by idiocracy »

If and when updating with one of the newer installer, should we uninstall first to get the benefits of the newer smaller install size and file changes?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Yes for filesize benefits, though usually not needed for anything else, but I'd recommend it regardless if e.g not having updated for a long time, but I'll mention it specifically, if it's a necessity.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

There's no reason to update for current users, but i've updated the installers with some backend changes, and so if deciding to update anyways, then please uninstall old version first from windows add/remove programs dialog, to start with a clean slate.

I changed it so the exe's only need patching one time by me initially when building the installers, and then not anymore during the install-process, and also relocated the exe's from Scripts folder to main Deluge2 folder, which became possible after patching the exe's in this new way I found. It also shaves about 3mb off in install-size, though neglible, but doesn't hurt atleast :)

I have also updated the alternative zip archives to now be fully portable, so you can extract and run them from whereever you want.
idiocracy
Leecher
Leecher

Post by idiocracy »

Maybe make it so you can remove files from previous installations, then people wouldn't need to uninstall and you'd avoid situations where people forgot to follow instructions. Just a thought.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Good idea, but i've looked into that several times before because had same thought, but the installer system I use doesn't support deleting the install folder first before installing, well it does, but makes the install twice as long because of semantics no reason to go in depth here with, and the install time is long as is.

I could delete files after the install, but honestly is too messy for me, and I have to keep backlog of all files, because I don't know which version people update from.

An uninstall never was needed, but just a general recommendation after big changes, and I think i'm finished with the big changes now mostly, as am contempt with the result, except I need combing through files more, to further reduce size. Well, i'm thinking of converting to nsis installer system, like the official deluge installers, which possibly support this, but I just checked, and by default the official previous deluge installer doesn't overwrite files either and just updates old to new, like mine does too.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

I have changed the installers to use NSIS as backend, like the official deluge windows installers is using.

I have mimicked the official deluge installers, so it prompts for install location, magnets/torrents associations and shortcuts. Likewise I decided to by default install into Deluge folder under %programfiles%, instead of Deluge2 folder. Also. same shortcuts in startmenu as official deluge installers sets i.e deluge, website and uninstaller in deluge folder.

I didn't mimick though an error in official installers, where one of the shortcuts in start menu still is left after uninstall :)

Additionally, I "hacked" in, that the install folder first gets deleted if existing, before installing into it, so no need for manual uninstalls between releases anymore, after this release, like recently also suggested by idiocrazy. You should uninstall a final time though, before installing this new installer however.

I should've learned and changed over to a more advanced installer system like this from the get-go, as also supports cool things like warning you if deluge.exe is running, owerwrite in-use files after reboot, delete magnets/torrents associations upon uninstall only if belonging to deluge, and all sorts of other stuff, and luckily for me also supports scripting everything and running from batchfiles like before :)

I intend to keep the portable zip alternatives up also.
Last edited by mhertz on Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
billyboy12
New User
New User

Re: Deluge 2.0 unofficial Windows installer available.

Post by billyboy12 »

I originally registered an account to get support on why my Windows Deluge client suddenly stopped connecting after I updated Deluge on my torrentbox, come to find it was a compatibility problem between the Windows and Ubuntu versions. I then found this thread, and installing this unofficial version got everything working again! Thanks!

One thing though, the high DPI support seems to be a bit funny. It had to set high DPI scaling override to "system" or everything was teeny-tiny!