*OLD-THREAD - SEE NEW* [Unofficial] Deluge 2.0.x installer

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
mhertz

Re: Deluge 2.0 Windows 7z sfx installer available.

Post by mhertz »

That registry-key seems correct, so that's strange indeed...

About the non-functioning association-button in GTKUI, then I checked the deluge code for this, and I can see it calls a function for retrieving folder-path deluge is installed in, and then appends "deluge.exe" "%1" to that, and adds to registry, same key as you.

This works normally, but in my installer, which is based on Cas's install-instructions, have deluge.exe in a subfolder named 'Scripts' and so the association isn't valid because wrong path added to registry when hitting that button in GTKUI.

So, I fixed the deluge code to set correct path to deluge.exe in registry now, when hitting the button, and I checked it in firefox by selecting an arch-linux ISO magnet-link from this page, which worked fine and started deluge and loaded the magnet in: https://www.archlinux.org/download/

Note, there's a bug in deluge2 I have submitted a ticket about previously, which makes magnet links not being able to prefetch metadata(show files in torrent) when thinclient-mode is used, for some strange reason, but is reproducible on both linux and windows i've checked. However, this doesn't really matter for simple downloading, as you can still select to add the torrent(well, magnet) and it will download fine, but before selecting 'add', then it will continue loading and showing that wheel turning continuously, as it cannot download metadata, but as said, just select 'add' instead of waiting forever, when getting that dialog.

I was also thinking about adding those regsitry associations from my installer automatically, but I have to think about how doing it best, as don't like doing it unconditionally, as if someone wouldn't wanting it for some reason, and i'm not sure my "installer system" I use(7z sfx installer module modified with extra features relevant for installers) supports adding in checkboxes, other than that path-choosing dialog for selecting install-location, which I alreasy use. It does though support install-switches, but that becomes to cumbersome for the end-user I think, though easy for me to add. I'll look into that later.

I have updated all 4 installers with fixed magnet association when hitting that GTKUI button.
dopedangel

Post by dopedangel »

Sorry I uninstalled the previous deluge installation then tried to install the new installers. So I no longer have the download file that worked the first time so not even sure which version I had installed previously. And as I usually use geek uninstaller all the registry entries and folders are completely removed. Btw would it be possible for you to also make a deluge 2 portable install. I have deluge 2.0 installed on my linux server and just use deluge on windows to remote into it. I borked my windows install because I tried to update to the latest had it been a portable I would have easily been able to test the newer version without borking my working install.
PJWhoopie
New User
New User

Post by PJWhoopie »

A reboot seems to have made everything happy!
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

PjWhoopie, Yeah, you'll atleast need restarting your browser after making your reg-change yourself, or if hitting that button I now fixed in GTKUI, and possibly, yeah also rebooting completely. Good to hear it's working for you, and I'm glad you reminded me to test that button which didn't work before when using my installer(or Cas's manual install instructions).

dopedangel,

When exactly do you get the error, what does it say more specifically, and which windows version, thanks.

Without me writing an essay about this, then there are special things that make me not being able to make a portable install. Maybe little later I can, as have to experiment using e.g awk in shebang to make a true relative path in the exes, if possible, because normal tips on making python exes relative, only work when CD'ing into correct folder first, which wouldn't work if making a shortcut yourself to the exe etc. It would also work if "freezing" worked, but doesn't yet, which is main reason for no real official installer yet. Sorry.

Ohh, which version do you want, so we can test with a single installer at a time and not 4 - stable-2.0.3 or git-develop deluge, and libtorrent-1.1.13 or libtorrent-1.2.2 for that deluge?
dopedangel

Post by dopedangel »

deluge.PNG
deluge.PNG (6.91 KiB) Viewed 3846 times
This is the error I get
I would like the latest git deluge with libtorrent 1.2.2..
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Thanks. Are you on Win7(edit:sorry, I see you are on Win10 by the screenshot theming). Try right click installer and select 'install as admin'. How far do you come in Installation before getting that. Does it still overwrite your old deluge2, since you stated it borked it.

I thought it was an issue after install, sorry.
dopedangel

Post by dopedangel »

It doesn't install at all I actually uninstalled my previous deluge before trying to install this so nothing there to overwrite. I even tried one of your older installers it is getting the same error so might be nothing wrong with your installer.
dopedangel

Post by dopedangel »

Hi i was able to get deluge 2.0.3 to install using your bat file which I remembered I had previously used that to install deluge. Could you maybe edit it to install the latest git with libtorrent 1.2.2 as that seems to work.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Hmm, I could, but personally I want this installer to work for all, untill an official one emerges, so would much appreciate if we could work a little more on this, atleast first. Actually, I have such batchfile, but uses files not online, like my own built latest libtorrent etc, + the git install is pretty intrinsic with special things because of issues needing attention too, like plugins don't install by default so needs workaround(and I don't just mean renaming them like before), and you need git installed prefferably etc.

Please answer all these questions thanks :) (I'll soon upload a test version for you - I could just upload an old one, but really wanna find out what's special about your system that fucks something up)

1. Does it work when rightclicking installer and installing as admin?
2. When do you get the error - is it imidiatelly, or after pressing OK to install, or..
3. Have you windows installed on C drive, and not changed %programfiles% to non-standard location? (I need to know this, to see which old installer-type you need, when we test later.)

Thanks in advance.

Edit: If wanna keep your old install from my batchfile, then install another place, or e.g. rename Deluge2 folder under %programfiles% first, to e.g. Deluge2-bak, and rename back when finished testing my installer and uninstalled again.

Edit2: I'm pretty sure you simply need to right-click installer, and select "Install as administrator" to workaround your issue.

I just checked a family members PC with win7 which I remember needing the above workaround sometimes. It didn't with the 4 new installers, but with a previous one it did, and so I tried that again without right clicking, and it came up with same exception error window like yours(I couldn't remember which error it was or how looked, previously, and just remembered it gave an error and needing a workaround). Strangely, running it again afterwards normally(left-clicking), didn't gave the error anymore.

I thought it only was a win7 issue, but seemingly not. I know that what triggers this error sometimes, is a setting I use in the installer which auto elevates permissions, so a right-click isn't needed but sometimes on some systems can fail, though never seen it myself outside that win7 PC or gotten it reported before.

I'll reword the notion about this on first post and state it's not only win7 specific nomore, when getting confirmation from you back.
dopedangel

Post by dopedangel »

ah no the installers don't work even when I run as administrator. I get the error as soon as I run it even before the files are extracted with the latest installer with the previous installer it seemed like the files got extracted and then got the error once it started installing.