Why is there no Deluge 2.0 exe for Windows

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
jeps
Leecher
Leecher

Re: Why is there no Deluge 2.0 exe for Windows

Post by jeps »

So I am back with sad tidings...

Your last edition installed fine on my Windows 2016 server, but it fails on a Windows 10 Pro 64 bit PC.

The powershell window at some point simply disappears.
It finishes the big unpacking but fails shortly after.
Python itself doesn't get installed.

Is it my Windows going FUBAR or has something changed?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

@dopedangel, I'm glad to hear that, and you're welcome :)

@jeps, Hmm, i'm sorry to hear that, that's a bummer! :( I redownloaded the scripts and tested again in my win10-home-x64 VM and it worked fine, so I downloaded a Win10 ISO from MSFT and installed win10-pro-x64 in another VM and tested there, and it worked fine again there too, so I am really baffled upon what the issue could be I must admit.

My scripts are always very crude and straight to the point without any logging and error-handling etc, so you have to yourself rightclick the install-script and select to edit it and then make a new line at the bottom stating 'pause'. Then when rerunning the script(maybe run the uninstaller first, to remove whatever been left from last), then instead of closing, then the script keeps-up and shows what happened, so if you mark with the mouse the lines from the bottom and up, but you don't need include all the 'extracting' part, or other things seeming irrelevant - if you can find the error yourself, then you can also just mark only that part of course, and then press return to copy the marked-content into the clipboard and then paste it into a post here or PM me with it or whatever you want, or just post the error line here if you can catch it.

Good luck :)
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

I made a 7z sfx installer for Deluge2 for Windows, but there are a few downsides compared to a "real" installer and that is that the installer is much bigger unfortunetly(89MB) and the install is also big and just as big as if using my batchfile previously posted(or using manual instructions). Also, x64-only and tested working on WIn10-x64 and WIn7-x64(for Win7 you probably need to rightclick installer and select install as admin).

Doesn't support if having changed '%programfiles%' away from default on C drive.

I have added only a startmenu shortcut this time, so if you want desktop-shortcut then drag it out on the desktop to copy it there.

To uninstall it, I have added an entry to the Windows 'Add/Remove Apps' dialog.

The installer adds a single folder under '%programfiles%' instead of the batchfile which installed python and the GTK3 and the vcredist etc, but as stated it will fill the same space however, as I haven't fixed the original issues with "freezing" and instead just made my own installer using a modified 7z sfx module.

In my testings the OpenSSL-1.1 package wasen't needed, so I haven't included that, but if it turns out that it's needed afterall, then I'll remake the installer and include it.

The installer is "short 'n sweet" and so I haven't spend any time on making it pretty or adding extra windows showing the install is finished or anything - just an extraction/install-countdown-timer and that's all.

Lastly, it still touches your system path variable, but uses another method that should be safer and as before also backs it up first so if anything should go wrong then you should be able to recover by running the reg file saved at 'C:\Windows\temp\path-env.reg". Still, as always, use at own risk :)

deluge2-installer.exe

(If link dies later on, then give me a shout.)
Last edited by mhertz on Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pkgfi
New User
New User

Post by pkgfi »

Thank you mhertz I just tried it and it works really well!

The one thing I noticed is that it will add the 3 entries to the %path% variable each time the installer is run, even if they're already there.

The plugins appear to be working, the taskbar icon is nice, the systray also works.

I wanted to share the dark theme I've been working on for some time:

I just took the breeze dark theme and I did my best to make it look windows-like.
Now I couldn't finish this work entirely, because I'm no GTK expert and I had to figure out each rule via trial and error which is a lot more difficult than in a browser. So I'm not really happy with the highlight colors, checkboxes and some of the input field widths but ignoring those I think it's serviceable. ( my eyes are a lot happier :shock: )

So dark-theme fans, please give it a go:
https://www78.zippyshare.com/v/MxDDncUs/file.html

Extract the included folder to:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Deluge2\gvsbuild\release\share\themes\
and change this file

C:\Program Files\Deluge2\gvsbuild\release\etc\gtk-3.0\settings.ini
to this

[Settings]
gtk-theme-name=Deluge-Windows10-Dark
Also, could anyone with a high-resolution screen and higher than 100% Windows scaling please let me know if the top-right buttons revert to the Breeze theme? I couldn't test it properly. Thanks!
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

pkgfi wrote:Thank you mhertz I just tried it and it works really well!

The one thing I noticed is that it will add the 3 entries to the %path% variable each time the installer is run, even if they're already there.
[...]
Thanks for feedback! :) The previous set of batch-files I provided used 'setx' to add/remove to 'path', but it had a few drawbacks and was unstable sometimes e.g. it would sometimes add the choosen path 3 times instead of one, or sometimes 2 times. I tried many different things and read alot up on it and decided to use the external tool 'pathed' but found out it couldn't run on a default win10 install because it needed a .NET update. I then decided on 'pathman' from the last windows-resource-kit-tools from MS and that worked perfectly to remove all path-entries upon uninstall, so if you uninstall my installer(*.exe one), then your path should be "clean", and will also clean up from the previous batchfiles if you had multiple entries(though those don't hurt). However, 'pathman' had the same unstability issues as 'setx' in that it sometimes would multiply the added entries, so I found a solution in my searches which always worked, i.e. first the 'path' is read out and into a variable and then the new entries added to that variable and then write the variable back as a new 'path' entry with 'setx', since 'setx' didn't have issues when doing it like that and only had issues when itself trying to add or remove.

Lastly, if having used my batchfiles, or the instructions provided by Cas and darkred, and then uninstalled it again, then python is uninstalled, just as if having done it directly from windows add/remove programs dialog, but the stupid uninstall-mechanism the python devs made, leaves the python program-folder left under %programfiles% and wastes space, so I would recommend to go into '%programfiles%'(i.e. 'C:\Program Files') and delete the 'Python3.6' folder there if there is any left - of-course only do this if you have used my uninstall-script or uninstalled python manually yourself, as else you will ruin your deluge-install!
I wanted to share the dark theme I've been working on for some time:
[...]
Looks really nice, kudos on that mate and nice to have a good Windows theme available that blends in nicely! Great job! :)
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Just a note to users wanting to try pkgfi's nice theme posted 2 posts above, if you get an error trying to visit the download-link, then it's because germany, spain, denmark and uk, possibly more places, is blocked from using zippyshare(from zippyshare themselves, not an ISP block, and probably copyright related), but you can download it through a VPN, or a free web-proxy like e.g. hidemyass.com/proxy etc.(some didn't work as page or download-link failed, but hidemyass.com/proxy did work in my tests) so copy the zippyshare link and paste it into a free web-proxy to get access to it(select a US server if not default).
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Sorry, just wanted to add that my deluge2 7z-sfx-installer is now also tested working on Win7-x64. If you get an application error when trying to install it on Win7, then you just have to righclick it and select "Run as administrator" instead of double-clicking it, and it will work then.

I thought the issue was the 7z-sfz module, and tried several of the previous versions without luck neither, but I then found out the culprit instead was a setting I used in the installation-script which would raise an UAC prompt when double-clicking the installer, so you needen't remember right-clicking and selecting to run as admin, and this worked perfect in Win10, but didn't work on Win7 and showed an application error instead, but after right-clicking and running as admin, then for some reason it works now with also just double-clicking the installer and other 7z-sfx installers too, without issue and get an UAC prompt as wanted.

I'll edit the previous post where I stated it was not working on Win7, but just wanted to repost it here as many will properly not see that edit i'm thinking, but sorry for double-posting.
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

Thank you for the effort you put in mhertz!
dopedangel

Post by dopedangel »

mhertz wrote:Sorry, just wanted to add that my deluge2 7z-sfx-installer is now also tested working on Win7-x64. If you get an application error when trying to install it on Win7, then you just have to righclick it and select "Run as administrator" instead of double-clicking it, and it will work then.

I thought the issue was the 7z-sfz module, and tried several of the previous versions without luck neither, but I then found out the culprit instead was a setting I used in the installation-script which would raise an UAC prompt when double-clicking the installer, so you needen't remember right-clicking and selecting to run as admin, and this worked perfect in Win10, but didn't work on Win7 and showed an application error instead, but after right-clicking and running as admin, then for some reason it works now with also just double-clicking the installer and other 7z-sfx installers too, without issue and get an UAC prompt as wanted.

I'll edit the previous post where I stated it was not working on Win7, but just wanted to repost it here as many will properly not see that edit i'm thinking, but sorry for double-posting.
You should make separate post about your installer as unless people browse this whole thread they wont know that an installer is available for windows
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

@shamael, Thanks alot mate for the kind words, I really appreciate that, and also coming from the imho most helpful person around here :)

@dopedangel, Good idea, thanks, I'll do that later. I actually had thought about this earlier, and would have done it if it was an actual "real" installer where I had fixed the actual issues holding Cas back, but you're right and this is atleast a working solution/workaround in mean time, and don't make sense to be little hidden away.