Why is there no Deluge 2.0 exe for Windows

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
mhertz

Re: Why is there no Deluge 2.0 exe for Windows

Post by mhertz »

I just built and installed it and thanks again for the clear detailed instructions darkred! I see now that I stupidly mixed up the original instructions, which otherwise would have also worked fine i.e. I followed the first and outdated pair of instructions with the correct python version and then when using the correct updated instructions I was on the wrong python version for testing, so in short, im an idiot, sorry, I embarrassingly have to admit :)

Anyway, I got it running, but as the last comment also states in the ticket, then the built-in plugins aren't available, and when trying to install them then nothing happens, so they cannot be used currently, so this also much draws down the usefulness of this unfortunately. This issue + that there was way to many files scattered all over, and with full installs of python and gtk etc, in the end means that it wouldn't make sense for me to make a simple 7z sfx installer of all this(and bypass there own installers for each component) imho, so i've ditched that idea, sorry. I could still make a batchfile which downloads and installs all the parts, but honestly it's easy and clear to do yourself from the instructions(manual install) so I don't really see the need, coupled also with the lack of default plugins, so I guess we will still just have to wait.

Btw, the deluge author have reported bugs in the libs that don't work to make the windows version, so he is also waiting for fixes to be made before he can finish his work, so it's not just a matter of being "lazy" about it.
pjlbyrne
Leecher
Leecher

Post by pjlbyrne »

Thanks - I needed these instructions! Can't this post be pinned?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Not a real installer, and the built-in plugins still doesn't work, but i've made a windows batch-file that downloads and installs everything needed and makes desktop/start-menu shortcuts and adds needed entries to PATH environment-variable. I used built-in windows functionality wherever possible, but for one package(python) then there where SSL errors when trying downloading with powershell(and several workarounds found online didn't help either) so had to download curl.exe for that, and I also had to download 7za.exe for unpacking an unsupported archive, but everything is cleaned up/removed after the install. I know newer builds of win10 has curl.exe and tar.exe built-in, but I wanted to make sure it would work for everyone.

Download the batch-file, right-click it and select 'Run as administrator'. Windows 10 x64 tested working. I've also added an uninstall-script too.

Use at your own discretion, and I take no liability for any issues encountered therefrom! Don't run anything you downloaded from the web without thoroughly checking it first, and especially when run as admin! Also, the method I use to add to PATH is little "hackish" and e.g. it possibly will remove entries with variables in them if having such, or if having an extremely long PATH with a million entries then it possibly could get truncated too, though on my system it worked fine and many use that method I can see from reading online, which is also where I got it from, but otherwise you can remove the line starting with setx if wanting to add to PATH manually, but both scripts will backup PATH first into a regfile you can use to restore from if needed(C:\Windows\Temp\pathenv-bak(2).reg).

deluge-2.0-installer.bat:
https://pastebin.com/dl/s2M2EKbp

deluge-2.0-uninstaller.bat:
https://pastebin.com/dl/v4pQ967x
Last edited by mhertz on Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:13 pm, edited 11 times in total.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

I have made an uninstall batch-file also, which undo's everything the installer did i.e. uninstalls all components, deletes shortcuts and removes the additions to PATH, so I have edited the previous post with that link too. I have also changed both scripts to first backup PATH into 'C:\Windows\Temp\pathenv-bak(2).reg', just in case there should be problems with how setx changes it later, and so rightclicking that and selecting "merge" and then reboot afterwards, then you have your old PATH back. The uninstall script had to download some of the installers to use for uninstalls, as for some reason using the original stored uninstallers through msiexec or wmic either couldn't be made completely unattended, or still left things back and e.g. left the uninstall entry still for python etc, so that is why I did that, but is cleaned up afterwards.
Last edited by mhertz on Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
pkgfi
New User
New User

Post by pkgfi »

Thanks for the scripts mhertz, they are working really well!

Does anybody know how to change the default gtk3 theme to win32?
jeps
Leecher
Leecher

Post by jeps »

Hi mhertz.

Million thanks for your time and effort.
I really hope the devs could help you get the default (at least) plug-ins included.
They are hard to live without.

We are almost there!
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Thanks for that mates, just a very small contribution in the mean time :) Regarding themes then I forgot to include that in the script, Cas stated this about it
To get a nicer theme create a file: C:\gvsbuild\release\etc\gtk-3.0\settings.ini with the following:

[Settings]
gtk-theme-name=win32
I agree, the lack of even default plugins makes the usefullness currently pretty limited unfortunately. I have tried to install them afterwards from 'C:\Program Files\Python36\Lib\Site-Packages\Deluge\plugins', but they won't add! We must just wait and see, and hope ;)
pkgfi
New User
New User

Post by pkgfi »

Thanks for the theme tip, it's somewhat better than the default, but still too bright for my taste.

What kind of work is required to make it look like the previous stable version?
Is it simply missing a generic theme that isn't included yet, or does it need a fully customized one?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

I don't know how to change that, sorry. I tried to copy over the theme files and dirs from deluges old windows-theme, but couldn't get it better, or darker, than with adding the settings.ini file mentioned above. You probably need to find a 3'rd-party darker theme and see if that will apply, untill Cas releases a propper windows installer.

@all, I found a couple typo's in the uninstaller script, sorry, and have fixed those. Nothing important, but just left a couple packages behind in your main folder you had to delete manually. I also changed the installer script to add the win32 theme in settings.ini as mentioned previously and I also made the icons for deluge to have a propper deluge-logo instead of the default python-logo. I have updated both links to the scripts in the original thread.
pkgfi
New User
New User

Post by pkgfi »

I figured out the theming:

You need to grab a gtk3 theme and copy it to

Code: Select all

c:\gvsbuild\release\share\themes
I grabbed the Breeze-Dark theme from my arch linux machine from

/usr/share/themes
So my themes folder on windows looks like this now:

The Breeze-Dark folder has both gtk2 and gtk3 themes, deluge 2.0 uses one of the gtk3 variants.
The Breeze-Dark folder looks like this:

Now you can configure deluge to use this theme in

C:\gvsbuild\release\etc\gtk-3.0\settings.ini:

[Settings]
gtk-theme-name=Breeze-Dark
And there you have it:

It's far from perfect, the "Preferences" pages have no padding at all,
the titlebar would be nicer with a native theme, but it's a good start.

For those who don't have easy access to the theme, here are two zippyshare links:

https://www38.zippyshare.com/v/VyYvhGCx/file.html - Breeze.zip
https://www38.zippyshare.com/v/Gh9UhQZk/file.html - Breeze-Dark.zip