Why is there no Deluge 2.0 exe for Windows

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
darkred

Re: Why is there no Deluge 2.0 exe for Windows

Post by darkred »

I tried putting that code into a version.tmp but the procedure still stops at the same point:

Code: Select all

!include: could not find: "install_files.nsh"
Error in script "C:\Users\Kostas\Desktop\deluge-deluge-2.0.3\packaging\win32\deluge-win32-installer.nsi" on line 163 -- aborting creation process

Thanks anyway for trying to help!
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Sorry, the first part about version.tmp you had fixed I believe, and I just included it in the previous quote because it was part of everything that failed. The bbfreeze script should have made an install_files.nsh and uninstall_files.nsh file with the full list of all files to be installed/uninstalled, so forget version.tmp for now. Anyway, I hope someone that actually knows anything about this will come forward to help, as I'm honestly just talking out of my a** here, or how it's put in American ;)
zaphod0414
New User
New User

Post by zaphod0414 »

This is some BS right here. Figuring out how to make an installer is 100% the job of the developers. If you want to release a software package in the Windows world, then that includes the installer package. Not having one available for a little while could be acceptable under the right circumstances, but continuing to not have one after the package has been released for MONTHS now is just not acceptable. Expecting the end users to go through this huge convoluted effort (that doesn't even work, by the way) to get your package to install is 1. unrealistic, 2. lazy as hell, and 3. will spell the end of your project on the Windows platform (read: the effective end of your project in general). The truth of the matter is that if some process does exist that will get Deluge 2 working on a Windows host then at some point in the months since you erroneously declared Deluge 2 a finished product and now, you should have performed that process and made an installable package out of the results. That's software releasing for Windows 101. It's bad enough the process you need to go through to get this working on Linux. That's almost OK, though, because the users expect it and the system is built for it. Nether of those statements can be considered remotely true for Windows. The system is not development ready (not out of the box - significant work and preparation is required) and neither are most of its users. Is there at least an estimate of when the proper installer packages might be available, or have you just given up on the idea entirely and don't plan on releasing them at all? I'm rapidly loosing patience with this whole situation.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

The practically only left dev is a Linux user, and the windows packaging proved to have issues with the updated libs used. Nobody forcing you to use this and you haven't paid a dime for it and merely expect arrogantly that things like these should be made available to you in prepackaged format ready to consume. We either wait for the dev to have time to figure this out, or somebody volunteers there efforts like already displayed nicely in this thread. Your attitude seriously sucks IMHO - do you know how much time and efforts coding and maintaining such a project entails, especially when you're practically alone, have a job and I believe, health issues too.
captainnapalm

Post by captainnapalm »

"Nobody's forcing you to use this and you haven't paid a dime for it" isn't a valid argument. Sure, it might be technically correct, but I'm coming from the standpoint that I've been using the product for 3 years, I have 650+ torrents in Deluge, and when the linuxserver container was updated to 2.0 all of a sudden I can't connect the daemon from my windows machine which is where I manage the manual aspects of torrents. Sure, Deluge is continuing to run and do everything I need it to do, but without the Windows app being upgraded so that I can properly connect to the daemon, my workflow has been severely impacted.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Look, none of you are volunteering your time to fix this, and the truth of the matter is that the author didn't do this by spite but for legitimate obstacles and not having time for fixing these yet. Sure it's an inconvenience for many, but still doesn't change the situation unfortunately. You can run it from windows without using an installer: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55404#p230096
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

@darkred, could you please tell me what you used when making and running deluge-2 on windows previously, as you wrote previously in this thread. I'm testing making deluge-2 and getting it to run in a win10 VM and following the ticket which states first to use python 3.6, but then later another confirmed it working using python-3.7 and then later another reported python-3.7 not working with libtorrent. No matter which python I use, then when running the pip commands I get "not supported wheel on this platform"? Which pycario etc did you use, 1.17.1 like in directions, or 1.18 as is in gvsbuild dir? Thanks in advance.

I was thinking if managing to build and run it, then I could easilly package the needed files/reg-entries up in a 7z sfx installer(as I remember doing alot in my older windows days 10 years ago when making unattended windows 2k/XP install discs with all needed apps/drivers and updates slipstreamed :) ) - of-course not as good as a real installer i.e. no uninstaller, but I could supply a script to uninstall it though. Also only for win10-x64. Better than nothing I guess, as I can not help with the actual packaging issues going on as over my head unfortunately.
Last edited by mhertz on Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkred

Post by darkred »

mhertz wrote:@darkred, could you please tell me what you used when making and running deluge-2 on windows previously, as you wrote in that thread.
Here:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Download latest GTK 3.24 gvsbuild tarball and extract to `C:\gvsbuild`:

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/cas--/g ... /artifacts
I got: gvsbuild-vs14-x64.tar.gz (80 MB)

2. Download and install latest Python 3.6:

https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-368/
I got: python-3.6.8-amd64.exe
3. Install python dependencies

(in a command prompt)

pip.exe install C:\gvsbuild\release\python\pycairo-1.18.0-cp36-cp36m-win_amd64.whl
pip.exe install C:\gvsbuild\release\python\PyGObject-3.32.0-cp36-cp36m-win_amd64.whl
pip.exe install https://download.lfd.uci.edu/pythonlibs/t4jqbe6o/Twisted-19.2.1-cp36-cp36m-win_amd64.whl
pip.exe install https://download.lfd.uci.edu/pythonlibs/t4jqbe6o/setproctitle-1.1.10-cp36-cp36m-win_amd64.whl
and because the contained links in the last two lines dont't work,
use the latest from https://builds.golem.network/simple/twisted/
and from comment 18, i.e. from https://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/
i.e.

pip.exe install https://builds.golem.network/packages/packages/Twisted-19.2.1-cp36-cp36m-win_amd64.whl
pip.exe install https://download.lfd.uci.edu/pythonlibs/n5jyqt7p/setproctitle-1.1.10-cp36-cp36m-win_amd64.whl
4. Install deluge

(in a command prompt)
pip.exe install deluge deluge-libtorrent
5. `deluge-libtorrent` wheel currently needs OpenSSL 1.1.0 installed:

https://slproweb.com/download/Win64Open ... 1_1_0k.exe
From the above link I needed the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable version:
either that for Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019.
either that for Visual Studio 2008 (VC++ 9.0) SP1
(I don't remember, try latter first)
7. Check that libtorrent definitely imports with:

(in a command prompt)
python -c "import libtorrent; print(libtorrent.__version__)"
8. Run deluge:

(in a command prompt)

set PATH=C:\gvsbuild\release\bin;%PATH%
deluge.exe
The `gvsbuild` path can be added to global env vars to save setting each time.
Last edited by darkred on Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Wow, I much appreciate that detailed write-up, and I'm sure it will be useful for others also looking to run the new deluge on windows! I don't have time to mess with it just yet, but just wanted to say thanks a lot mate and much appreciated for sure! :)
darkred

Post by darkred »

Glad to be of help ;)