move the Deluge database to a new machine

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
truenorth

move the Deluge database to a new machine

Post by truenorth »

I like Deluge, but the documentation is kind of skimpy and I find this forum very unfriendly. Take a look, there are many very reasonable questions each with thousands of views and not one suggestion. It may be that this system is so technical, multi-platform and complex that it attracts very technical users who can’t be bothered to be helpful. But I’ll try.

I started out to play around with torrents using a spare Windows XP laptop. Good for almost nothing else but it can run Deluge. I purchased a VPN service which I could only get working sometimes, it’s not really for XP. Not too worried, I’m collecting old British TV shows which nobody cares about anyway. So, Deluge 1.3.15 on XP. Works perfect. I just leave the XP machine running 24/7 with more than 200 torrents most with ratios of more than 400. There’s a lot of interest in old British TV shows.

I wanted a more reliable VPN and a much larger disk so I bought a Windows 10 machine and a terabyte drive. The goal was to move my torrents onto a new deluge install.

So, the target is W10, same Deluge version. I read what there is here and I figured that I need to find the XP ‘state’ folder which contains the torrent files and move it to the W10 machine. The payload files I moved from one usb drive to the much larger usb drive maintaining the same drive letter.
Everything moved fine but nothing works. Deluge lists my torrents but almost all of them show a “tracker error”. None of the old files will seed but new ones will download and seed.

I’ve tried “force recheck” of everything, VPN or no VPN, pause everything and restart everything, update trackers.. No joy. Any suggestions?
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: move the Deluge database to a new machine

Post by shamael »

Hi,

So all your torrents are present in the new Deluge install but no connection. Review the port used by your setup, the Windows firewall, and the port forwarding on your router i you won't rely on the upnp protocol. You can confirm the availability of your setup by testing the single inbound port on a test site (google "port check").

To make it simple configure a single port above 50000 as inbound port.
Open the windows firewall for it.
Configure a fix IP for the computer hosting Deluge
create a port forwarding rule on your ISP router for this port (any connection for the port 5xxxx will be redirected to the IP of the Deluge machine)

UPDATE:
I missed the part whens saying new torrents are well seeding. Have you checked the permission of the old files on the drives? Put a torrent in error in pause state and forece recheck will confirm the file is well conform.
Do you have more than one tracker for torrent in error? If so have your changed the config of Deluge to use them all?
truenorth

Post by truenorth »

I just got back to this and I will look through the suggestions. My current theory is that all torrents need to be "paused" before the State directory and the payload files can be moved to a new machine. And then they can be restarted. I'll run some more experiments but this wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. Perhaps State is more telling than I thought.

Regarding the trackers, I think they are all there but I'm not sure how to manipulate them. If I solve this, I'll write a guide to doing this.
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Post by shamael »

The daemon have to be stopped so the resume file in the appdata filer will be consistent, I never paused all the torrents to do it but well waited no downloads are in progress.