Private Internet Access port forwarding

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
paladin181
New User
New User

Private Internet Access port forwarding

Post by paladin181 »

I realize my problem is probably a PIA problem, as I can forward ports just fine with my router and no VPN activated. I use the designated servers that allow port forwarding, and have request port forwarding activated in the settings menu. I hover over the icon to get my port. I type that port into Deluge, and apply, then test the port, and it fails every time. It is not my firewall (disabled at testing). It is not my router that I can see (I'm using a Verizon router).

When I use the router's built in port forwarding for the port number specified with out the VPN active, everything works. I thought I didn't need to enable port forwarding in my router if using a VPN, but having the port forwarded or not in the router does not change. the effect; with PIA active I cannot forward the port to Deluge. Obviously, I don't want Deluge connecting to the internet without a VPN active. Any suggestions?

https://i.imgur.com/dSDYGmU.png is an image showing my problem.
mhertz

Re: Private Internet Access port forwarding

Post by mhertz »

You shouldn't set port-forwarding in your router for VPN-forwarded ports, just make sure the correct port is entered and forget about using the torrent client for testing, but instead test that the port is open on the VPN IP, i.e. if you use ipmagnet to check which IP you send out to tracker/peers, then go to a port-checker online and enter the IP address of the VPN you're connected to now and the forwarded port and check it lists open/green. It always works when I check it :) When connected to a VPN, then all the router sees is a direct connection between you and the VPN tunnel where data flows freely in/out and it's the VPN server provider that needs to have said port open and unfirewalled for you to make use off through the connected VPN tunnel established.

Ipmagnet: http://ipmagnet.services.cbcdn.com
Port checker: http://ping.eu/port-chk/
Last edited by mhertz on Tue May 29, 2018 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
paladin181
New User
New User

Post by paladin181 »

mhertz wrote:You shouldn't set port-forwarding in your router for VPN-forwarded ports, just make sure the correct port is entered and forget about using the torrent client for testing, but instead test that the port is open on the VPN IP, i.e. if you use ipmagnet to check which IP you send out to tracker/peers, then go to a port-checker online and enter the IP address of the VPN you're connected to now and the forwarded port and check it lists open/green. It always works when I check it :)

Ipmagnet: http://ipmagnet.services.cbcdn.com
Port checker: http://ping.eu/port-chk/
Thanks for that. Yeah, I didn't think I was supposed to set forwarding in my router with a tunnel, but I wanted to make sure. I haven't set these up in a LONG while. So what do I do if the port that is supposed to get forwarded is closed then? I followed that and it tells me the port is closed... This is a change from when I first started using PIA as port forwarding worked.

I realize that this IS a PIA problem and I will probably contact their support, but... I mean that kind of hoses me at the moment.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Hmm, yeah, then that is a PIA problem then sorry, so try changing servers, some work more reliably than others i've found. they semi-recently changed port-forwarding API and methods, but I like this new system, where your forwarded port is opened for the entire connection and not having to poll for it every hour(I don't use the official client but just openvpn from command-line/scripts on linux). Play around with other servers and fill a ticket to PIA and sorry I cannot be of any help then :)
paladin181
New User
New User

Post by paladin181 »

mhertz wrote:Hmm, yeah, then that is a PIA problem then sorry, so try changing servers, some work more reliably than others i've found. they semi-recently changed port-forwarding API and methods, but I like this new system, where your forwarded port is opened for the entire connection and not having to poll for it every hour(I don't use the official client but just openvpn from command-line/scripts on linux). Play around with other servers and fill a ticket to PIA and sorry I cannot be of any help then :)
Yep. Filed a support ticket with them, and I'll mess around with servers. Thanks for relieving my mental break as I've been plugging at this and related problems ALL DAY. I think I am just fatigued by this point.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Good that you're making them aware of these issues! :) Your most welcome of course. Good luck going foreward :)