Moving completed downloads stops all traffic

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
deadlock
New User
New User

Moving completed downloads stops all traffic

Post by deadlock »

I've recently redesigned my entire home infrastructure and because of the awesomeness of the client/server functionality in Deluge, I installed and configured everything properly so it's just that box with nice specs that is always turned on to do the downloading and configured all machines in the house to autoconnect to it. Thanks for the hard work, really appreciated!

The box that runs the Deluge daemon runs Windows 10 1803/build 17134.48 Enterprise on a Core i7 8700K and has 32GB of memory to play with, windows and Deluge are on a fast 1TB M2 SSD.
I'm using a piece of software called Drive Bender to mash multiple harddisks into 1. Within this software you can define a so called "landing zone", so if you transfer data onto the storage pool, it will always land on this specific drive first and gets distributed over the other disks in the pool afterwards, it's a really nifty piece of software based on the original Windows Home Server.The "landing zone" in my case is a brand new 250GB Samsung 850 EVO.
I've got Deluge configured to move downloads from the normal Windows SSD to the landing zone after they're completed. The problem I'm experiencing is that all torrent traffic stops during transfer as shown in this screenshot:
As you can see, there are no speeds reported. Furthermore, there is nothing being written to the torrents that are still being downloaded or at least; nothing is flushed from memory to disk during this period.
As soon as the move action is completed, the downloads resume.

I've currently added a 256GB USB stick to the machine to exclude Drive Bender, but as far as I can tell, that piece of software is not part of the problem, otherwise I'd experience other odd behavior. I do have another machine with Windows 1803/17134.48 where I might be able to test this with a bit of work but there's not enough space for really big torrents that give you enough time to do proper measurements.

I've tried to use the search for this subject but either I'm completely incapable today or there isn't anything on it. Is this expected behavior? Is this a bug? If so, what can I do to report it properly? I'm running 1.3.15 with libtorrent 1.0.11.0.
shamael
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: Moving completed downloads stops all traffic

Post by shamael »

Hi,

So far I know the problem comes from the lack of I/O priority for the move operation hence whatever the speed of your drive 100% is used for the move operation. The operation may be seamless if the move is done on the same disk in a different folder (metadata change) or...simply not move the data. To avoid this on my setup I simply download in the final destination directly.

Such a thing may be addressed in the version 2.0 but you have to check. As I don't move everything this is out of my mind ;)
deadlock
New User
New User

Re: Moving completed downloads stops all traffic

Post by deadlock »

shamael wrote:Hi,

So far I know the problem comes from the lack of I/O priority for the move operation hence whatever the speed of your drive 100% is used for the move operation. The operation may be seamless if the move is done on the same disk in a different folder (metadata change)
I've noticed that on this system at least, Deluge isn't as efficient at moving files as Windows itself is. When I manually move them, I get speeds of 250MB/sec easily, when Deluge moves them, the process seems to take a lot longer than when I do it myself and the landing drive is at 100% utilization (the source drive is at about 40%).
or...simply not move the data. To avoid this on my setup I simply download in the final destination directly.
Unless someone can provide me with a 32TB SSD for a price that's the same as an 8TB WD Purple per GB, that won't be possible.
Such a thing may be addressed in the version 2.0 but you have to check. As I don't move everything this is out of my mind ;)
I can live with it, just wanted to find out first if it was working as intended or perhaps a bug and get it on your radar if it isn't. Which I've done now ;)