High CPU usage

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
jbrizz
New User
New User

High CPU usage

Post by jbrizz »

I'm running deluge 1.3.12 on Windows 10 as a service on my HTPC. I've added 9 torrents and can't get more than about 5MB/s download (on 100mbps connection) before CPU hits 50% (one thread maxed). It seems to be related to throughput rather than connections as I've tried limiting them to 300 and it made no difference. My CPU is a bit weak (Phenom X2 555 BE) and I'm tempted to get myself a Skylake 6500 for Christmas but it's a lot of money to spend when the current CPU does all my other HTPC duties fine.

Turning off encryption seems to help a little as does pausing some of the torrents, but CPU still gets very high even with only a few torrents are running if throughput gets high (6 - 8MB/s).

I had no trouble with utorrent running 15+ torrents, I would easily get 12MB/s out of my connection. But utorrent sucks and I don't want to use it.

I just had fibre laid outside my house so will be moving to a 200/200 connection soon. Deluge isn't going to cut it, possibly not even with a faster CPU.

Does anyone else have CPU usage issues running many concurrent torrents with deluge? Any known issue with work around?
bro
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: High CPU usage

Post by bro »

You can try running with daemon and connect with thin client (unhook classic mode in preferences).
When reporting issues, please include any relevant information such as OS (and version), python version (for Windows users this depends on which Deluge installer was used), Deluge version and plugin version.
jbrizz
New User
New User

Post by jbrizz »

That's what I'm doing. It is the daemon process that uses the CPU, not the client. I can't get maximum throughput on my connection whether I connect via web or with the Windows GUI client.
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

I have an old 3 Ghz Phenom II x4 and never use much CPU on Windows 7.
jbrizz
New User
New User

Post by jbrizz »

This is at about 3MB/s. CPU usage is even relatively high on my i7 4770 when I download on my other PC.

I had to install the MS cache management service to stop Deluge from using up all my RAM (8GB) for file cache when I downloaded bluray remuxes.

I really like how Deluge works but it's not working out very well for me. I'm sure must work better on Linux, but as I use Windows I might need to look for an alternative.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (59.37 KiB) Viewed 6046 times