State corruption worse than ever

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
galneon

State corruption worse than ever

Post by galneon »

In the past I've only lost my state or fastresume on dirty shutdowns of the PC. Today I woke up to find the client wasn't connected to the daemon. I went to the other room and found deluged (1.3.12) had crashed with an error saying VC+++ had requested an unexpected exit or similar. I wish I had the exact error message, but I was in a hurry to see if my day was ruined or not (it was).

Because I've lost my torrent state so often with 1.3.12, I run automated backups of the state/fastresume files, but something went amiss this time and I was out of luck. Now the fun task of manually correcting 1,342 torrents.
bro
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: State corruption worse than ever

Post by bro »

Did you check for a torrents.state.bak file?
When reporting issues, please include any relevant information such as OS (and version), python version (for Windows users this depends on which Deluge installer was used), Deluge version and plugin version.
galneon

Re: State corruption worse than ever

Post by galneon »

It was present. I have to amend what I said in a significant way: All that was lost this time was actually the fastresume file. Given that, the problem is certainly not "worse than ever". It's been a while since my state had corrupted in 1.3.11 so I forgot just how awful it was (in that case if I had no backup, all torrents would have to be re-added, not simply re-checked). The only torrents I'm having to manually correct are those in which I'd renamed the downloaded directories (which mirror the torrent names in the list) as the state file doesn't account for this (it only tracks changed paths, which is typically adequate). Other than that, it's just 5 TB worth of rechecking.

Loss of fastresume sucks, yes, but I repeat, the problem is hardly "worse than ever" as I'd hastily stated minutes after waking :P This was still a daemon crash I'd not experienced before. I've only used deluge for ~5 months, but it was in fact the only crash I've experienced to date.