Deluge 1.3.12 not starting (missing dll) on win7 x64.

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
Snackbar
New User
New User

Deluge 1.3.12 not starting (missing dll) on win7 x64.

Post by Snackbar »

EDIT (Solution): if you're reading this right now and your client isn't opening...or opening with the error listed in this post, I'll spare you the reading. Make sure you have Visual C++ Redistributable Package 2013 -- x86 (not x64) version installed. The latest Deluge installer doesn't make this check but really it should. Also, if you have apps that rely on the x64 2013 version already installed, this x86 version might "replace" the x64 2013 version (as it did in my case in my list of installed programs, so I suggest looking before installing.) If it does, then simply install x64 again (via the above link), and *both* should then be listed, it's weird, I know.

Installed deluge-1.3.12-win32-py2.6-setup, appeared to install fine, but program doesn't even open.
Uninstalled and found out the uninstaller doesn't get rid of "deluge" roaming app data AND the x86 program files Deluge folder, so I manually deleted these as well. (Why can't uninstallers "uninstall" data?)
Installed deluge-1.3.12-win32-py2.7-setup, appeared to install fine, but program opens with this error (note I had my previous installation in "classic mode":

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "deluge\ui\gtkui\gtkui.py", line 349, in _on_reactor_start
  File "deluge\ui\client.py", line 559, in start_classic_mode
  File "deluge\ui\client.py", line 432, in __init__
  File "deluge\core\daemon.py", line 136, in __init__
  File "deluge\core\core.py", line 36, in <module>
  File "deluge\_libtorrent.py", line 59, in <module>
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.
I was able to "disable" classic mode from there, but the connection daemon didn't start no matter how many times I tried pressing that button. The rest of the preferences were greyed out.

I don't know programming but I saw these new releases have "py" in them so I figured I should install python for windows 3.5.0. Same result for both Deluge installers. Please help, I'm having a bad day.
Last edited by Snackbar on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:01 am, edited 6 times in total.
Shryp

Re: Having major issues installing 1.3.12 on win7 x64.

Post by Shryp »

I was using 1.3.11 py27 on my Windows 7 x64 desktop. Earlier today I closed that down, uninstalled it and then installed 1.3.12 py27 and it worked with no issues. I kept my APPDATA folder and all settings and torrents saved just fine.

The reason it doesn't delete your appdata is because most people want their settings saved.

I also upgraded from 1.3.11 to 1.3.12 via the Ubuntu PPA on my laptop running Mint 17.2 just fine.

Also, no python is needed on windows. The windows version uses its own built in libraries.

EDIT: I just tried installing on a Windows7 VM and got the same error as you.
Snackbar
New User
New User

Post by Snackbar »

Shryp wrote:I was using 1.3.11 py27 on my Windows 7 x64 desktop. Earlier today I closed that down, uninstalled it and then installed 1.3.12 py27 and it worked with no issues.
Did you previously had "classic mode" enabled before upgrading?
Snackbar
New User
New User

Post by Snackbar »

Also, why is the py2.7 version in the "py2.7" folder on the OSU website? Shouldn't the latest version be on top of that list or is that a question for OSU?
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

I edited my post. I had classic disabled and am getting the same error as you on a Windows 7 VM. I manually changed libtorrent versions and then it was working again. Look in the windows section for manually updating libtorrent and that should fix yours. Not sure why the pre packaged one works sometimes, but not others.

Go here:
http://doadin.github.io/

Click his first link.
Copy the libtorrent.pyd file to your c:/program files x86/deluge/libtorrent.pyd
doadin
Seeder
Seeder

Post by doadin »

that error usually come in when you dont have the MSVC runtime installed that libtorrent was built from. Before i think cas built libtorrent with msvc9 which win7 comes with support for but i think he changed to, MSVCR120.dll = Visual C++ 2013, which you can see here https://github.com/deluge-torrent/delug ... dadd2f87c9 . try installing Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 x86 herehttp://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download ... x?id=40784

edit: i see you linked my github. the latest build(9-5-15) from me was build with the runtime built in so no extra install should be needed if you use mine. this goes for future builds as well but only the latest one was built this way the other need msvc9 which is Visual Studio 2008 x86(http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... aspx?id=29).
Snackbar wrote:Also, why is the py2.7 version in the "py2.7" folder on the OSU website? Shouldn't the latest version be on top of that list or is that a question for OSU?
py 2.7 is python 2.7.x(built using python 2.7) which is just offered as a alternative to the main build. in the future deluge might move over to python 2.7(obviously its already compatible) but for now its just there for options. note im not a official dev but thats my understanding of it.
Last edited by doadin on Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:48 am, edited 6 times in total.
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

doadin wrote:that error usually come in when you dont have the MSVC runtime installed that libtorrent was built from. Before i think cas built libtorrent with msvc9 which win7 comes with support for but i think he changed to, MSVCR120.dll = Visual C++ 2013, which you can see here https://github.com/deluge-torrent/delug ... dadd2f87c9 . try installing Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 herehttp://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download ... x?id=40784

edit: i see you linked my github. the latest build(9-5-15) from me was build with the runtime built in so no extra install should be needed if you use mine. this goes for future builds as well but only the latest one was built this way the other need msvc9 which is Visual Studio 2008.
Yea, your build worked fine in my VM.
light
New User
New User

Post by light »

I have the same problem as you when install deluge 1.3.12 py27 on windows 10 32-bit, so I try deluge 1.4.0 dev457 from the link above, the UI look really good and my upload speed so much faster than 1.3.11, and I really like the 'skip hash check' and 'sequential download' function in this version too, but the only issue I have with this version right now is it seem don't remember the torrents I added before.
It kind of annoy when you start deluge again but 'skip hash check' may come in handy xD, so I gonna use this version for now.
doadin
Seeder
Seeder

Post by doadin »

light wrote:I have the same problem as you when install deluge 1.3.12 py27 on windows 10 32-bit, so I try deluge 1.4.0 dev457 from the link above, the UI look really good and my upload speed so much faster than 1.3.11, and I really like the 'skip hash check' and 'sequential download' function in this version too, but the only issue I have with this version right now is it seem don't remember the torrents I added before.
It kind of annoy when you start deluge again but 'skip hash check' may come in handy xD, so I gonna use this version for now.
Those are build i use personally but i would not recommend using. In fact i think im going to take em down. The 'skip hash check' and 'sequential download' is not something i added so its either something in dev code or 1.3.xx code. I believe the devs have requested i dont provide builds because of version numbering. The dev builds should be 2.0.0 devxxx now and not 1.4.0. The libtorrent builds dont matter though those you can use. So at least for now id recommend using 1.3.12 with one of my libtorrent builds. OR 1.3.12 with vc++ redist 2013 installed(link in my previous post) which would be the most official build option and therefore get the most support from the devs.
Last edited by doadin on Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snackbar
New User
New User

Post by Snackbar »

doadin wrote:try installing Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 herehttp://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download ... x?id=40784
This worked, thanks. Curiously, I already had the x64 version of MSVC 2013 installed from a previous IRC app but following your link and installing the x86 version appears to have replaced the x64 version because I no longer see it in the list of uninstallable programs. Speaking of MSVC, I'm counting *11* separate instances (excluding the latest) from various dates that I'm assuming are tied to various apps. Would you think that uninstalling all of them except the latest x86 one and hope that "backwards compatibility" is a "thing" with MSVC or will all my apps blow up? The amount of clutter that MS puts into their OS makes me really want to change to something like Arch Linux, but I would miss my games.