Deluge 1.3.12 not starting (missing dll) on win7 x64.

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
mriichi

Deluge does not start after 1.3.12 update

Post by mriichi »

Made update today. It just does not start. No messages, no process in task manager. Just in case, i rebooted already.

PS. Deluge Team must burn in hell for such registration capcha.
doadin
Seeder
Seeder

Re: Deluge does not start after 1.3.12 update

Post by doadin »

this was posted about else where most likely you need vc 2013 x86 redist.

http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtop ... =7&t=52469
lethedoom

Re: Deluge does not start after 1.3.12 update

Post by lethedoom »

I installed Deluge 1.3.11 on my Windows 7 Home PC. When I updated to Windows 10 Home it continued to perform well. Today I installed 1.3.12 and it will not open. I reinstalled 1.3.11 which opens as before. I suggest the
developers install a fixed version 1.3.12 on a Windows 10PC and open it to prove it works before offering it to users. It is a fine application and you should guard its reputation by avoiding these mishaps.

I found a solution in a different thread and it worked.

Having major issues installing 1.3.12 on win7 x64.

Postby Snackbar » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:23 pm
EDIT (Solution): if you're reading this right now and your client isn't opening...or opening with the error listed in this post, I'll spare you the reading. Make sure you have Visual C++ Redistributable Package 2013 -- x86 (not x64) version installed. The latest Deluge installer doesn't make this check but really it should. Also, if you have apps that rely on the x64 2013 version already installed, this x86 version might "replace" the x64 2013 version (as it did in my case in my list of installed programs, so I suggest looking before installing.) If it does, then simply install x64 again (via the above link), and *both* should then be listed, it's weird, I know.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Deluge 1.3.12 not starting (missing dll) on win7 x64.

Post by Cas »

For the record this was an unintended dll dependency (from I think OpenSSL) and the only solution is to install the 2013 redist package, just like the normal MSVC++ 2008 Redist Package requirement in the FAQ.

Note that we cannot supply the dll in the package due to MS licensing restriction.

I will see if I can build libtorrent/openssl without requiring this extra dll dependency but it's not a pressing issue.
tontella

Deluge 1.3.12 not initiatiing

Post by tontella »

New user unable to use this software? What am I wrong doing?
Nytron
New User
New User

Post by Nytron »

tontella wrote:New user unable to use this software? What am I wrong doing?
Nope, you are doing everything correctly. That is right. Deluge does not work on Windows x64, period. New users will never be able to launch the app. Exisiting users that follow the prompt to update will render the state of their Deluge installation unusable without any indication of how to fix it.
Cas wrote:For the record this was an unintended dll dependency (from I think OpenSSL) and the only solution is to install the 2013 redist package, just like the normal MSVC++ 2008 Redist Package requirement in the FAQ.

Note that we cannot supply the dll in the package due to MS licensing restriction.

I will see if I can build libtorrent/openssl without requiring this extra dll dependency but it's not a pressing issue.
This issue is as pressing as an issue can get. This is the most severe bug I have ever seen in 10+ years of torrenting. Your program simply does not even launch on the most popular OS in the world. This is a huge mistake.

This is a known in the QA world as an "A, high priority bug". A bug cannot get any more severe than a "showstopping" issue like this. Bottom line: Deluge is completely broken on Windows 8/10 x64. It will not launch, and it won't give you any error message or indication of what is wrong. The 1.3.12 build should be pulled immediately. Most of your users will not find this thread and switch to another client.

None of your excuses are valid. Pull the build and add an an error message stating the missing dependencies and have a menu button to link the user to the proper dependency file(s). You guys have the best torrent client in the world. Don't underestimate the importance of this.
Snackbar
New User
New User

Post by Snackbar »

Nytron wrote:Deluge does not work on Windows x64, period.
Incorrect. Follow the bold instructions in my post on page 1 of this thread.
Nytron wrote:add an an error message stating the missing dependencies
Something I agree with you. A simple check could have been implemented instead of the program appearing to install correctly and not opening.
Nytron
New User
New User

Post by Nytron »

Snackbar wrote:
Incorrect. Follow the bold instructions in my post on page 1 of this thread
Obviously there is the workaround in OP. But no users will figure it out.
kickerofelves

Post by kickerofelves »

Nytron wrote:
Snackbar wrote:
Incorrect. Follow the bold instructions in my post on page 1 of this thread
Obviously there is the workaround in OP. But no users will figure it out.
I agree with you, no average user is going to do do the workaround. I installed it as an alternative to utorrent but un-installed it after the update failed to work. Had a few minutes and found this site.

Very good point you made earlier; the software won't work on the most popular OS on the planet and the response seems to be a lethargic "well we'll get to it eventually, but we posted a workaround [that maybe 10% of users will use]" instead of a push to fix the issue now.

Their approach is fine if they want a product used by a small number of 'inside baseball' types, not so fine if you'd like to propagate it to a wider audience and challenge other torrent clients.