Deluge deleted my .torrent files, any way to get them back?

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
spmhz

Deluge deleted my .torrent files, any way to get them back?

Post by spmhz »

I had a power outage. Upon restart, Deluge's torrent list was empty (I found out this happens sometimes if the system shuts down before Deluge can write some cache or something). I re-loaded the .torrents I had by Edit>Preferences>Automatically load torrents from.

The torrents wouldn't re-check themselves. I figured out this was because my internet wifi adapter lost connection. I restarted it, regained internet. Since one of the torrents was saying "Error" I figured I'll just re-load all the torrents again instead of force re-checking them all. I Selected All the torrents>Right Click: Remove Torrent>Remove Torrent........................... and my .torrent files disappeared?! All I wanted to do was de-load them from Deluge! Not delete the torrent's .torrent file??

I still have the data of the torrents. Just not the .torrent files - meaning I can't continue seeding them.

Unfortunately, I've rebooted the system since the boot where the files got deleted. Is there any way to retrieve the .torrent files?

------------------------

Also... since "Remove Torrent" seemed to -delete- my .torrent files, and not just de-load their listing from Deluge's list of torrents............... how do I simply de-load a torrent listing from the list inside Deluge???????

I have already tried loading all .torrents in %appdata%/Deluge/state. The torrents I was looking for were not in there - in there were .torrent files I downloaded as magnet links, but torrents I downloaded as actual .torrent files, that were in F:/Torrents/(dot), are now not there (the folder is empty).
Shaipetit
New User
New User

Re: Deluge deleted my .torrent files, any way to get them ba

Post by Shaipetit »

Your .torrent files were deleted when you removed torrents from Deluge, because you had this options enabled:

Edit - Preferences - Delete copy of torrent file on remove checked

Uncheck that option and Deluge won't delete .torrent files when torrents are removed from Deluge.

I think it's a bad thing that Deluge deletes .torrent files completely instead of sending .torrent files to Recycle Bin.

To recover your .torrent files, try using data recovery software, such as Piriform Recuva https://www.piriform.com/recuva

I always backup my .torrent files collection in order to prevent accidents like this.

In general, we need to protect all of our digital worlds - backup backup backup all your data to safe places, like external HDDs, cloud regularly.