aeo

All torrents disappeared after Deluge Crash

Post by aeo »

I am running

Deluge 1.3.5

libtorrent: 0.15.10.0

Windows XP SP3 32 bit

Sony VAIO Pentium 4 3.00GHz, 2 GB RAM

I think the problem all started last week when I got a notification on the systems tray of an update for Java. I clicked on it and it stated that my operating system is old and I should update it. I think then it stated whether I wanted to install and I clicked yes. It then uninstalled the previous version and installed version 8. I think pretty much after that, I noticed that when I downloaded a bunch of torrents, the connection would continuously stop and start again. I thought it was a modem problem so I disconnected and reconnected the electrical cord on the modem as well as rebooting the PC. That did not work.

I tried my laptop which runs on Windows Vista, 32 bit, and is connected to my modem via Wi Fi. The laptop worked fine and the internet connection had no problem. Since I know this is not a modem thing, I just figured my Desktop will eventually work itself out. So I had Deluge up and running and it was downloading torrents sporadically. I then ran VLC Player version 2.1.5 and opened up a VLC Player saved playlist file (xspf). This xspf playlist file had like over 50 different TV shows and movies on it.
While I was watching a movie, my PC kind of froze and I noticed there was an error message on Deluge. It basically stated that Deluge had crashed and that the information on drive J is lost or something like that. I have 3 external harddrives connected to my desktop, drive J, k, and L. The error message did not mention anything about drive K and L.

I closed Deluge program and VLC player. I then rebooted the PC. Once I was at the desktop screen, I opened up my VLC player and tried to run the same playlist file as before but the information on that playlist was gone. It was a blank playlist file. Also, I had customized my VLC Player user controls but all those things were gone and the VLC Player was back to its default settings.

I then clicked on Deluge and it showed zero torrents. Before the crash, I was downloading almost 20 torrents and had about 80 completed torrents on pause. However, all those torrents simply disappeared. I panicked thinking that the crash might have erased all those torrents so I clicked on the "start button" and then clicked "my computer." It showed all the drives except drive J. Most of the torrent files, both completed and incomplete were on J drive. However, there were a few that I was downloading simultaneously on drive L and I checked whether those files still exist and it did.

I turned off my PC and unplugged all 3 external harddrives from the PC. I then unplugged the electrical cord from the external drive that was drive J. I waited for several minutes and plugged the electrical cord back into the external harddrive and then rebooted my PC. Once I saw the desktop screen, I plugged in the 3 external harddrives, one by one, and my PC recognized all three external harddrives and gave the original drive letters to each one.

I opened up the Deluge program hoping all the torrents would show up but it was still zero. I checked drive J and it had all of those files that was not showing up on the Deluge program. My question is, whether there is some way to retrieve those torrents back into the Deluge program? I am hoping that there is some internal list in the Deluge program that I could just retrieve and it will bring back all those torrents back into the Deluge program. Also, could the update of the Java program be the cause of the crash?
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: All torrents disappeared after Deluge Crash

Post by Cas »

A crash will have corrupted the resume data but as you have the torrent data and the torrent files will be in config state, you can reload them.
aeo

Post by aeo »

Cas wrote:A crash will have corrupted the resume data but as you have the torrent data and the torrent files will be in config state, you can reload them.
When you mean reload them, do you mean to click on individual torrent files like this "[kickass.so]grimm.s04e10.hdtv.x264.lol.ettv" from Kickass site? If that is the case, then the problem is that I can't remember all the torrent files that I had on pause and were downloading when the crash happened. When I go on a torrent site, I click on "download torrent" files and normally do "open with" Deluge program.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

No there are torrent files in your config state folder, they will be renamed to <infohash>.torrent...
aeo

Post by aeo »

Cas wrote:No there are torrent files in your config state folder, they will be renamed to <infohash>.torrent...
I checked under "C:Deluge" and could not find "config state" folder. Where would the "config state" folder be exactly?
zone4444

Post by zone4444 »

Very late reply, I know, and I do not mean to revive an old thread but just to add some info if anyone happens to read it.
The torrent files for deluge are usually located under "deluge/.config/deluge/state/". So it is not a single folder called "config state" as the op imagined but rather two nested folders.
sief
New User
New User

Post by sief »

In my experience, even if I had a copy of the state folder, whether the deluge was stopped or running when I made the copy, once it was restored when some disaster happened to me... it never helped me, again it asked me to recheck all the torrents. This with the linux version 2.03, I find in this sense that it is a joke this client since I do not trust to close it, because it does not lose the states of the torrents by a crash, in my case it is simply to close it in a normal way and to reopen it the following day and to lose everything.
DroidLiberator
New User
New User

Post by DroidLiberator »

So the latest version of this crash EMPTIED my torrent folder, it didn't just forget the files in there active or not, it seems to have deleted them! what is going on?
torrentalien
New User
New User

Post by torrentalien »

Hi,
I experienced the same issue many times, and it seems I'm not the only one.
I use Deluge on a RaspberryPi as a daemon, and I use Deluge GUI on Mint to monitor.
-into ~/.config/deluge and .../deluge/state/, I tried to use .bak files with no results. the <hash>.torrent are still presents
-I tried some tar.xz files in /archive

the strange thing is when I added a new torrent in Deluge, then deleted all torrents.* in /state, then opened deluge again, this torrent was still there. This makes me wonder where is the true list of torrents?

thank you for your help, I don't want to re-add +100 torrents manually...
Last edited by torrentalien on Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
torrentalien
New User
New User

Post by torrentalien »

hi!
can anybody help me? I don't even know if the config files are the ones on RPi or on my computer...
thanks!