Error: "Cannot continue without blocking for I/O"

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
sarpedonides
New User
New User

Error: "Cannot continue without blocking for I/O"

Post by sarpedonides »

Hello,

Just switched from utorrent after finally being fed up with their ads/adware. First torrents I attempted to download were a few fairly large files - two 4.4 gb and one 6.3 gb. All three were downloading fine until this point. One torrent is stuck at 99.96%, one at 89.86% and the large one is at 60.58%. All three show errors in their states with the status being: "Used to indicate that an operation cannot continue without blocking for I/O: C:\Users\Admin\Downloads\(filefolder)". Not sure what next steps to take. I've heard great things about this client and I like the interface, but if I can't even download my first torrent, I'm going to have to look for another alternative. Please let me know what I can do from here to get this going. Thanks!
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Error: "Cannot continue without blocking for I/O"

Post by Cas »

It appears there is a libtorrent issue on Windows with certain sizes of torrents: https://code.google.com/p/libtorrent/is ... ail?id=406

The workaround from the ticket is to "archive the file in question, delete original, unpack, recheck".
sarpedonides
New User
New User

Post by sarpedonides »

Thanks for the quick response. Apologies for being daft, but what do you mean by archive and unpack? As in compress the file?
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

I'm not sure myself the precise reason but I am assuming it being done to modify how the data is distributed on the disk. You don't need to compress e.g. using tar without compression is called archiving and would be significantly faster than any use of compression.

You could test this yourself, keep a copy of the original torrent, delete the torrent but keep the data, then re-add, recheck and see if you get the same error, if you do then try the above.
sarpedonides
New User
New User

Post by sarpedonides »

Deleting the torrent did not work but the archiving/unpacking solution did. Thanks for the help!
bengalih
Leecher
Leecher

Post by bengalih »

I posted here as well regarding my issues:

http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtop ... 53#p202853

Just posting here to connect the two threads as I see this one is more recent.
oldhouse
New User
New User

Post by oldhouse »

Same error here, but I don't get how to solve on torrents downloaded from the net...
oldhouse
New User
New User

Post by oldhouse »

I suggest to sticky a thread with solution to this problem:

installing ltconfig plugin, and changing option related to disk_io_write_mode from value "2" to "0" apparently solved my issue with blocking I/O.
mishagale
New User
New User

Post by mishagale »

To clarify things for other users experiencing this issue who don't want to follow a chain of links and rummage through comments, here is the workaround copied and pasted from the launchpad bug report
Ben N (benjamin-nunns) wrote:*Really* the file does seem to work as long as it's changing drives or at least physical section on the disk - just shifting folders wont do this.

To properly move on the same drive, pause the download, zip up the file in question, delete the original, then unzip the file into the same spot again. Restarting the download should now allow it to complete (at least it has for 3 problem file's I've found).
Here's my explanation: To resolve the problem, it is necessary to create an entirely new physical copy of the affected file. Just moving or renaming the file won't do this, since that doesn't actually create a new physical copy on the disk. However, archiving the file doesn't seem to be necessary either. What I did, on Windows 7 x64, Deluge 1.3.10, was:
  • Pause the download and close Deluge
  • Create a copy of the bad file (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V)
  • Permanently delete the original bad file. You may have to wait a little for Deluge to fully close, otherwise Windows will give you a "File is open in another program" error
  • Rename the copy to have the original file's name - this probably just means deleting the " - Copy" from the name
  • Restart Deluge