Files locked while seeding

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
jkaberg
New User
New User

Files locked while seeding

Post by jkaberg »

Im unable to move/rename files locked by deluge(/libtorrent?), main reason I want to do this is im processing hardlinked files (linked to the seeded ones) on a different location thuss not alterering the "orginal" but a "copy" of it thuss enableing me to both to seed and manage my content using the same diskspace

Is there any possibility to disable this behaviour? Using hardlinkes saves me roughly 50% of used diskspace, so its a big gain

PS: Windows 8
FeMaster

Re: Files locked while seeding

Post by FeMaster »

While I have no idea what it is you are trying to accomplish, I have found that if you need to temporarily access the files, you "pause" the seed. The files in question are then no longer locked and can be accessed without removing them from Deluge. Just un-pause them when you are finished, and they will start seeding again.

Not sure if this will help you out or not, but worth a try.
romprod

Post by romprod »

Ditto, I've just experienced this same issue.

I've hard linked files that I can't rename/move etc because Deluge locks the files. I'm not sure if this is expected behavior with hard linked files and I need to set something in Deluge to not lock files.
arvid

Post by arvid »

As far as I can tell, windows has at least two ways of "locking" files.

1. When you open a file, you can specify share flags, where you can deny other processes from reading or writing to the file while it's open.
2. explicitly lock a range of a file with FileLockEx().

libtorrent, by default, prevents other processes from writing to files held open by it, i.e. (1). The main reason for this is to prevent corruption. It seems media players are especially keen on updating id3 tags. libtorrent does not use (2).

It sounds like windows stores these flags in the inode, so any link to the same node presumably is subject to the same restrictions, hence the hard links being restricted in unintuitive ways.

You can disable this behavior in libtorrent by setting "lock_files" to false in the settings.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

Thanks Arvid, you will need ltconfig plugin to change that setting, although it does default to off.