Running the daemon in background

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
SSMI
New User
New User

Running the daemon in background

Post by SSMI »

So I feel like a little bit of a noob but I can't get the deamon running the way I want.

I would like it to run in the background at startup so I can run flexget with it. Do I need to set it up as a service? How would I do so? Is there an easier way?

Thank you for the help.
gazpachoking

Re: Running the daemon in background

Post by gazpachoking »

I set deluged up as a service using srvany. Some googling should get you some instructions on using srvany.
SSMI
New User
New User

Post by SSMI »

I can't seem to get srvany easily on widows 7. Any suggestions?
ThreatDown
New User
New User

Post by ThreatDown »

In case anyone is still wondering, this method works for me to start the daemon on boot and make it so it doesn't leave the cmd window open:

download http://www.naughter.com/startx.html, place the StartX.exe in your deluge install dir

Now in your windows startup folder create a text file called deluge.cmd (you can name it whatever you want, just make sure its .cmd) with the following in it:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Deluge\StartX.exe" /B "C:\Program Files (x86)\Deluge\deluged.exe" (you may have to modify it depending on where your startx and deluged are located)

EDIT: another, possibly better method, running deluge as a service. This works for me in windows 8:

dowload http://nssm.cc/usage
create the deluge service with nssm install deluged. in the window that pops up browse to your deluged.exe and name the service and click install.
then open services.msc, browse to the deluged service > properties > Log On > choose "this account" and put in your windows username and password (I had to do this or else none of my clients would connect).

Then just start the service and you should be good to go. Haven't tested this method much, but in theory it should be better since I think nssm can make sure deluged clean exits on windows shutdown avoiding hashchecks when you start the daemon again.
ramicio

Post by ramicio »

I've tried using Windows's built-in sc to create a service. I get an error 1053 when trying to start the service. I've tried the -d switch, and also using deluged-debug.exe. I tried nssm. All nssm does is create a service that runs nssm, which of course does nothing. I'm tearing out my hair trying to get deluged to run as a service. Can someone help?
Bababooey
New User
New User

Post by Bababooey »

ramicio wrote:I've tried using Windows's built-in sc to create a service. I get an error 1053 when trying to start the service. I've tried the -d switch, and also using deluged-debug.exe. I tried nssm. All nssm does is create a service that runs nssm, which of course does nothing. I'm tearing out my hair trying to get deluged to run as a service. Can someone help?
Windows version? Have you followed the NSSM guide? And changed the log on user to the administrator?
Works great in Server 2012 R2.
ramicio

Post by ramicio »

Windows 8.1. I got this figured out with srvany. Even that was about making a service that went to srvany and not the application at hand and required adding stuff to the registry. There was also not just one place I found how to do it. I followed NSSM instructions. It just didn't work.
Bababooey
New User
New User

Post by Bababooey »

Glad to hear you found a solution :)
ramicio

Post by ramicio »

Eh, I guess I am expecting too much. The service runs, but it doesn't start up with Windows. The service is showed as running, but there is no deluged.exe. Even if I put it on delayed start it doesn't start. I'm done trying.