Change the language to english?

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
Se7en

Change the language to english?

Post by Se7en »

As it is now, Deluge is a mix of both Swedish and English for me. I want to have it all in English, and I don't want to change the 'System locale'.
Benevir

Re: Change the language to english?

Post by Benevir »

I too was having this problem.

A quick googling revealed the issue to be with GTK autodetecting the language. I believe GTK bases its language setting on system local. As I do not want to change my system locale (it would introduce errors on some of the apps I run that use a different character set than English) I wrote a quick cmd file.

Open notepad, type in:

Code: Select all

set lang=en
start deluge.exe
Save the file as 'Deluge.cmd' in the same folder as 'Deluge.exe'. Create a shortcut to that .cmd and use it to start Deluge.

Enjoy!
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

I have been working on making most Deluge strings translatable in the latest releases. You could check that the translations are complete and upto date on the translations site so they can be included in the next release.
Se7en

Post by Se7en »

Benevir wrote:I too was having this problem.

A quick googling revealed the issue to be with GTK autodetecting the language. I believe GTK bases its language setting on system local. As I do not want to change my system locale (it would introduce errors on some of the apps I run that use a different character set than English) I wrote a quick cmd file.

Open notepad, type in:
set lang=en
start deluge.exe

Save the file as 'Deluge.cmd' in the same folder as 'Deluge.exe'. Create a shortcut to that .cmd and use it to start Deluge.

Enjoy!
Nice one, thanks :)
Se7en

Post by Se7en »

Cas wrote:I have been working on making most Deluge strings translatable in the latest releases. You could check that the translations are complete and upto date on the translations site so they can be included in the next release.
I'll try to contribute, not today though, but next week. Some computer-words etc. are kinda tricky to translate to Swedish, that's why i prefer English :)
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

I should have added that there are two other alternative as I have detailed in this ticket
tetsuo
New User
New User

Post by tetsuo »

There is another way without deleting files or creating a .bat file. In Vista/7/8 (not sure about XP) you can right-click My Computer -> Properties. Then, Advanced system settings -> Advanced Tab -> Environment Variables Button.

Then create a "lang" variable for your user with "en" or the code of the language you want as value.
cratic

Post by cratic »

tetsuo wrote:There is another way without deleting files or creating a .bat file. In Vista/7/8 (not sure about XP) you can right-click My Computer -> Properties. Then, Advanced system settings -> Advanced Tab -> Environment Variables Button.

Then create a "lang" variable for your user with "en" or the code of the language you want as value.
I have registered this forum, just to say thank you! Hope this also works for other applications automatically choosing the local language.
oggologgo

Post by oggologgo »

Why on earth would anyone not put an option to choose language, in a program that can be in multiple language?

This problem is not the fault of anything other than Deluge. You can never just rely on detecting what language it should be, and then assume that will be enough. Far too often, the wrong language is chosen, such as it happens in Deluge. However, most programs at least make a setting so the user can easily change the language manually.

It makes no sense not to put such a setting in Deluge. I want my Deluge in English, and I shouldn't have to do any workarounds for something that basic. Sorry, but it should be common sense to have language as an option.
Erfa

Post by Erfa »

I have used Deluge for just a few hours now, but this is by far the worst problem I have encountered so far. Creating a .bat file is way to complicated for such a simple task. I hope this will be included in the future!

Otherwise, great program. It has a number of advantages over µTorrent, perhaps the biggest one that the file list is actually a tree!