Strangeness On 2.1.1 lt 1.2.15, new migration from 1.3

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
nimer

Strangeness On 2.1.1 lt 1.2.15, new migration from 1.3

Post by nimer »

in advance apologies if this is a known bug, or a easy fix. i've done a fair bit of searching and browsing but not come across similar issues,

windows 10 21H2 64 bit 7700k 5GHz 32gb ram - have been running 6,000 torrents active since 2017 approx 40TB, averaging 10-25GB up a day flawlessly, aside from getting used to a 1-2 second delay on the UI..... basically this machine runs deluge and plex, nothing more nothing less.

finally made the jump upgrading,.... backed up deluge appdata (i have a macrium backup 6 hourly as every few months i loose everything) uninstalled deluge, renamed the appdata folder to deluge.1.3.old installed 2.1.1 libtorrent 1.2.15 64 bit

launched deluge 2 let the folder populate, then quit
restarted windows

enabled these plugins
autoadd
label
stats
LtConfig 2.0 from mhertz - selecting high preformance seed

quit and rebooted windows

copied ONLY the contents of my state folder

the first launch took about 5 times longer then it would have on 1.3…. maybe 15min….

after that everything is flawless except for a single bug, and super snappy ui….

normal speeds and behavior tried smashing it on 20 downloads together, saturated my line fine. and 5 fresh uploads same same

heres my issue and its kinda hard to describe

if i filter any of my torrents using any of the sidebar criteria, the results populate correctly for about 15 seconds and then all the main torrents come flooding into the browser making the desired results scroll away,.

same thing happens if i use the search feature. the correct results appear pretty instantly however are only viewable for 15seconds

i thought i would check here first, before mucking around with Libtorrent 2.0.6

maybe i’m having a moron moment but i’m still unclear as to notably what the difference is between 1.2.15 and 2.0.6…..

i’m aware i’ll need to go seek out the correct ltconfig if i make this swap….

any suggestions?

the new version is so remarkably fast that i’ve already satisfied to myself i’ll work around this oddity if its just how things are for now.

thanks in advance

happy to try to make a movie showing the bug,
nimer

Re: Strangeness On 2.1.1 lt 1.2.15, new migration from 1.3

Post by nimer »

Went ahead and replicated my "install" process for 2.1.1 libtorrent 2.0.6.0 - and the wierdness described above has resolved itself....

would still absolutly love someone to kindly paste a link laying it out for a moron like myself the who what when where why about the 2 libtorrent branches

edit - also interestingly libtorrent 1.2.15 was much much more responsive.... however its likely still rebuilding the backend caches etc
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Glad your issue fixed itself :)

Main libtorrent development is focused on 2.x, whereas 1.2.x is more for providing backwards compatibility for apps, and deluge possibly could have some issues with it, but main functionality seems to be working however, and several things have been updated specifically for libtorrent 2.0, but is not explicitly stated to be fully supported as of yet, like v1. 2.x is. Also things like disk-cache setting in deluge's UI's is irrelevant with libtorrent 2.0 etc, so in short v1.2.x is more supported and 2.x newer features/changes. I don't know if any performs better than other honestly.

BTW, my ltconfig build is not so important and only is useful if not having configured it before I.e no ltconfig.conf, as just fixed for updated defaults when selecting the high-performance-seed preset, that's all. So no diff if already configured as said.

Last, you and others can if wanted, quickly change libtorrent version from downloading wheel from pypi website and extracting(is a zip file) and overwriting the *.pyd file in install folder with extracted one - e.g rename the *.whl to end in *.zip instead, and double-click in windows-explorer to "enter" and copy/move *.pyd file over and overwrite the old into ‰programfiles‰\deluge.

E.g x64 v2.0.7: https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages ... _amd64.whl

X64 v1.2.17: https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages ... _amd64.whl

(older versions also there)
nimer

Post by nimer »

mhertz wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:56 pm Glad your issue fixed itself :)

any suggestions on best practices in terms of a static set port incoming vs random?

i've always set my outgoing to random however

my router does support upnp, and once raptor-lake comes out i plan to shuffle my gaming 12700k to that plex/deluge server to also incorporate a OPNSense router which i'm sure also supports upnp....

the only really other outstanding issue is i cant seem to locate any form of bandwidth calculation and reporting, session / total up/down similar to totaltraffic.... it seems basic on face value but thats possibly not giving merit to the actual requirements under the hood.

thanks for that brief rundown on the 2 branch;s and the links !

edit - also is there some known massive memory leak? 30min running and something has consume my entire 32gb ram allocation - deluge itself is only reporting about 3gb in task manager. this is the only change to the system, from previously my environment hovering at 12-16gb free always
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

I don't think matter for port(s) when you use upnp, so personal preference I'd gather, but honestly not that much in the know about it.

Maybe I can look later at totaltraffic plugin and see if hard to update.

Remember memory shown will be different with libtorrent 2.x, as much more memory mapped, though not directly used, so have to look at it in proper context, or in the correct measurings, sorry don't know what's called specifically.

However, highvoltage reported issue with much actual memory used and complete system slowdowns plus even crashing after a few days, and he fixed it by changing in ltconfig disk_io_read_mode and disk_io_write_mode to 0(used libtorrent 2.0.7), and got that info from big libtorrent ticket about big memory-usage here: https://github.com/arvidn/libtorrent/issues/6667
nimer

Post by nimer »

mhertz wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:35 pm I don't think matter for port(s) when you use upnp, so personal preference I'd gather, but honestly not that much in the know about it.

Maybe I can look later at totaltraffic plugin and see if hard to update.

Remember memory shown will be different with libtorrent 2.x, as much more memory mapped, though not directly used, so have to look at it in proper context, or in the correct measurings, sorry don't know what's called specifically.

However, highvoltage reported issue with much actual memory used and complete system slowdowns plus even crashing after a few days, and he fixed it by changing in ltconfig disk_io_read_mode and disk_io_write_mode to 0(used libtorrent 2.0.7), and got that info from big libtorrent ticket about big memory-usage here: https://github.com/arvidn/libtorrent/issues/6667
ledgend all around! - would mega appreciate it if there were a solution for collective traffic monitoring.

many many thanks for all those pointers!
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Appreciate your kind words :)

I updated totaltraffic plugin to deluge v2.x and posted in it's thread.

totaltraffic-0.5.egg
nimer

Post by nimer »

mhertz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:07 pm Appreciate your kind words :)

I updated totaltraffic plugin to deluge v2.x and posted in it's thread.

totaltraffic-0.5.egg

that plugin works perfect! thank you so much....

so the final final wierdness.... if i add a new torrent either through autoadd or normally.... it sits idle while saying "downloading" for about 1-2 hours.... i added a large torrent to be able to interupt it... once this 1-2 hours passes if i pause the torrent and restart it the download begins instantly like expected...

i've searched my settings including ltconfig... nothing stands out that is causing this... obiously the queue is set to 1. i've also tried selecting automanaged - off....

any suggestions?

edit - it takes 73 minutes exactly... very odd behavior... been running some tests inclyding trying different trackers

edit 2 - same behavior when seeding a submission. it sits and does nothing for 73 min
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

You're very welcome mate :)

I'm affraid I have no idea about your other issue unfortunetly :( Never seen that myself, and cannot reproduce when trying now, neither on linux or win10 VM, regular-add or autoadd. Sounds very strange indeed. Personally i'd first rename my deluge profile to e.g. %appdata%\deluge-bak and then see if happens on clean config that gets generated, and delete/rename-back afterwards. You can also try change libtorrent's, where 1.2.x is best if havng issues with 2.x, but as said, this doesn't happen here when testing regular popular linux iso's. Sorry couldn't help you mate.
tasoss
New User
New User

Post by tasoss »

I'm having the same problem (takes hours to start a download).
I don't know if it has to do with any ubuntu updates.
But it was working like a charm until now.
I only seed 800 torrents.
I tried different versions for libtorrent with no luck.
To be clear
1)After adding a torrent it takes hour/hours to start downloading.
2)In order to start seeing seeds/peers on the gui i have to wait again a lot of time(until then i see 0/0).
3)When shutting down the server the "Exiting... " message(the last message) delays for a few minutes. Previously it was exiting immediately.
Any ideas on how to debug it maybe?
Thanks!