Deluge not running on new windows install

Specific support for Deluge on Microsoft Windows OS
FarmerGuy
New User
New User

Deluge not running on new windows install

Post by FarmerGuy »

Hi,
I am trying to get a clean up to date linux .iso on a new windows 7 install.
Deluge is not running, despite uninstalling and reinstalling it.
I get the following error:
https://ibb.co/GnnsrL1

Any ideas wbout what I can do to resolve this please?
mhertz

Re: Deluge not running on new windows install

Post by mhertz »

Unfortunetly windows 7 isn't supported in latest deluge release for windows, because it's using python 3.9.x, whereas win7 only supports python 3.8.x and down.
FarmerGuy
New User
New User

Post by FarmerGuy »

ok, cool
Can you tell me the best page to download deluge 2.1.0 please?
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Sorry if vague, but there's not a official deluge2 available for windows 7. There are an unofficial v2.0.4-dev and 2.0.3 by fmar in a thread here which is all that is available unfortunately.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=55981

Anyway, no promises but I might build a win7 v2.1.1 one of these days.
FarmerGuy
New User
New User

Post by FarmerGuy »

Thanks!
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

You're welcome.

deluge-2.1.1-win64-setup.exe
deluge-2.1.1-win64-lt2.0-setup.exe
deluge-2.1.1-win32-setup.exe
deluge-2.1.1-win32-lt2.0-setup.exe

Latest everything, except python is latest 3.8.x to support win7 also.
nimer

Post by nimer »

mhertz wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:28 pm You're welcome.

Latest everything, except python is latest 3.8.x to support win7 also.
links dead as below

Unfortunately, this file was deemed malicious by automated scans.
All files are automatically scanned for malicious content, in effort to avoid serving malware to unsuspecting users.
If you are the original uploader of this file, and believe the detection is a false positive, please get in touch.

As a quick workaround, for passing a malware sample to a colleague, encrypting your content would probably bypass the scan.
See the "Privacy / Encrypted usage" section at https://paste.c-net.org/ for details.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Oh i'm sorry - I did check all links worked before posting, but now falsely detected unfortunetly.

I do this in a clean win10 VM, only ever used for windows deluge stuff for here, no personal stuff, and not even browsing or whatever, so certain no virus or other malware and have AV enabled(the built-in from microsoft - defender), and here follows virustotal tests of all 4 exe's, and avast and avg and sometimes a couple obscure ones are flagging them as trojans/malware, but dozens others not, including the bigger names, though I understand people will be hesitant, and so besides giving my word, then instead of packing them to defeat this, then i'll try see if there's a newer or older NSIS I can use to rebuild them with, so not happens, though will first be tomorrow or maybe little later. I'll check what official deluge uses for NSIS version also. Sorry about this.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/6d3 ... 0e524db427 (2 out of 69 says malware)
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/b64 ... c4568a76a7 (2 out of 68 says malware)
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/391 ... 244e9fbfbb (3 out of 56 says malware)
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/6bf ... d7ec71deee (6 out of 68 says malware)

Edit: Made attempts now with 3 other versions of NSIS, but still flagged by some stupid obscure 'fortinet' AV or whatever. I believe github actions(deluge official uses that to build) uses NSIS v3.7, and tried that too, but still flagged - It should be the same as official deluge, except newer libtorrent and openssl, older python, and I built gtk3 myself to get the correct py-bindings, as no py3.8 version on deluges gtk-repo. As said, I'll try again tommorow.

Edit2: Yesterday then official deluge's 4 exe's where reported clean on virustotal, but today they are all flagged suspicious in one AV engine out of the bunch, and the official 'deluge-2.1.1-win32-setup.exe' is even now flaged as trojan/malware in 4 engines today. Both NSIS and pyinstaller are known for these false-positives sadly - I remembered I also used a newer pyinstaller version than official, but that doesn't help when even official now flagged.

Edit3: Yeah it's the pyinstaller freezed exe's that's flagged(inside the NSIS exe's), both official and mine, so will try with other versions, but doubt help since two different ones already used here with mine and offical. I'll post back if finding something, but guessing not, and so if wanted can use these re-uploads, and should be fine for most people with big names AVs where not flagged falsely e.g. microsoft, kaspersky, norton, bitdefender etc.

Edit4: No flagging today for offical deluge exe's, but also see one of the troublesome engines not used neither today - probably why differs from day to day. Then I read good tip which helped several, which was delete build/dist/_pycache_ dirs before freezing, and preferably build pyinstaller bootloader manually yourself, which I then did both, but still no-go, though reduced to 1 false-flagged issue, but anyway, above links will have to do as said.
nimer

Post by nimer »

mhertz wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:07 pm Oh i'm sorry - I did check all links worked before posting, but now falsely detected unfortunetly.

ALOT of effort on your part... its appreciated
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

Thanks buddy, appreciate your kind supportive words :)

Just to end, then as said, the links I posted will have to do as tried again many additional times without success. Also original deluge's tests clean from testing there url's, but when actually downloading them and testing, then they are flagged too(url-checking just shows a 1 month older test-result saved in database for file-hash, whereas file-checking triggers actual new test from today, hence the disreprency, which seemingly then is AV signature date-related), and when installed and checking e.g deluge.exe then 4 trojans/malware reported. I installed and tested supplied bootloaders of last 9 versions of pyinstaller and all flagged - I rebuilt 4 versions manually with msvc plus cleaned all cache/build-files, and same, just a few less sometimes - really annoying, but as said the biggest AV names, and 50+ others, are not flagging any of them, so most should have no issue, and if do, then same with official versions.

Sorry for repeating myself at times, but I just really don't like bringing uncertainty around to things I make/post and in extension towards me in general.

Anyway, hope helps regardless.