Sandvine has evolved

noian

Sandvine has evolved

Post by noian »

Deluge is no longer resistant to it.................. :(

who here hates comcast for doing this to us?
Ubulindy

Re: Sandvine has evolved

Post by Ubulindy »

Then this may be of interest! :-)
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 ... tling.html ( copy the entire link or you'll get 404 )
Weeeeeeeeeeeee!~
"Dignity does not consist in possessing honors, but in deserving them."
zachtib
Leecher
Leecher

Post by zachtib »

noian wrote:Deluge is no longer resistant to it.................. :(

who here hates comcast for doing this to us?
how exactly does it work.... I'm using comcast for the summer while I'm on san francisco, but i haven't had trouble torrenting
Former Deluge Developer
Suomynona.Eno

Post by Suomynona.Eno »

Well I'm no expert in the area but apparently there's a thread dedicated to Comcast' Sandvine approaches here at dslreports' forums. Should shed a better light at things. Looks like a pretty mean-ass tech they're applying as well.
noian

Post by noian »

Basically DPI's and forged RST's to put it simply. Deluge had something which made it resistant (Az/Vuze and uTorrent had to peek through Deluge's source code to figure out what was the reason and apply it to theirs), but I'm guessing using the same logic, comcast must've looked through deluge's source code and adapted their settings or something....

Edit:I'm also in the SF area (San Mateo actually, south of SF) and I'm pretty much sandvined (0.0kb/s)...although my internet's been slow lately (3.5mb/s down, 0.5mb/s up, which is supposed to be (according to this idiotic comcast rep even though I've usually get 10.0mb/s down and 3mb/s up) 6mb/s down and 1.5mb/s) up.
Ubulindy

Post by Ubulindy »

Here's the thing. If you have Comcast, you can connect to other Comcast users. Anyone else, good luck. Your pieces never reach you, and vice versa, and are just routed back, making seeding nearly impossible. You cant upload. They throttle to no end. You're almost better off going with the dreaded dial up, then to go with Comcast. Dont wanna go too far off topic here, the throttling is an entirely different matter. Luckily, I dont have Comcast, but have I friends that do, with NO option for anything else, oher than AT & T, which is nearly as bad in certain areas .
"Dignity does not consist in possessing honors, but in deserving them."
noian

Post by noian »

Well, today, the FCC has ruled that Comcast's actions are illegal, so :D