Bittorent and Ports

Flyier
New User
New User

Bittorent and Ports

Post by Flyier »

What is the port that I tell deluge and other torrent clients to use for? Does it limit the speed or only limit the speed if you aren't using a tracker or does it limit it if you only using a tracker?

Is it needed?
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Bittorent and Ports

Post by johnnyg »

The port (or port range) you specify tells deluge (or any other BT client) what port (or port range) it should use when sending/receiving data. It doesn't really matter what port/range you use as long as its between 1023 and 65535. The actual port number itself doesn't cause any speed limiting although speed limiting can occur if you haven't properly set up your firewall or router.

So in short:
- yes you need it
- just leave it as default unless you need to specify a specific port/range
- make sure your firewall allows TCP connections through that port/range
- if you're using a router make sure your router forwards that port/range

I hope that answered your questions.
steviejks
New User
New User

Post by steviejks »

I have downloaded deluge ( which is by far the best bittorrent client for me , because me isp shapes traffic when using p2p but thanks to deluge and it's encrytion i get full speeds ) and i have a problem .. no port seems to be open for me.. i am using a router , my upnp is activated , i've also added deluge to the firewall exceptions but nothing .. i don't know what to to.. when i was using utorrent every port was open so i was connectable .. pls someone help me .. thanks in advance .

steviejks
hgb
New User
New User

Post by hgb »

steviejks wrote:I have downloaded deluge ( which is by far the best bittorrent client for me , because me isp shapes traffic when using p2p but thanks to deluge and it's encrytion i get full speeds ) and i have a problem .. no port seems to be open for me.. i am using a router , my upnp is activated , i've also added deluge to the firewall exceptions but nothing .. i don't know what to to.. when i was using utorrent every port was open so i was connectable .. pls someone help me .. thanks in advance .

steviejks
Did you check which ports are open on your router/firewall? You might need to open the one you want to use for deluge ...
Regards
-- hgb
steviejks
New User
New User

Problem solved

Post by steviejks »

Thank you hgb .. i dind't have the port forwarded correctly from the router so that's why i was not conectable ... portforward.com helped me alot .. i recommend this site to everyone who has problems with port forwarding ..