Recommend a VPN service that supports UDP trackers through Socks5?

rytz
New User
New User

Recommend a VPN service that supports UDP trackers through Socks5?

Post by rytz »

Hi:

Thanks for making a great torrent program. Deluge is my favorite by far.

Can anyone recommend a VPN service that supports UDP torrent trackers through Socks5 (auth) proxy connections?

I've tried a few of the major services. I can't get UDP trackers to give me a peer list. HTTP trackers always work fine.

It's my understanding after testing different clients and reading various internet posts that this problem revolves around inconsistencies with Socks5 and UDP together (and nothing related to clients specifically).

If posting service names are disallowed here, please PM me.

Thanks!
gderf
Seeder
Seeder

Re: Recommend a VPN service that supports UDP trackers through Socks5?

Post by gderf »

I use Torguard Socks5 proxy https://torguard.net/

UDP trackers seem to work fine with it.
mhertz

Post by mhertz »

It's practically an industri standard to use Dante socks5 server as backend for providers supporting torrents, because of the UDP support. However, there's often issues still, and varies from libtorrent version used, and there still seemingly is unresolved issues lingering, as e.g. can be seen from big threads at qbittorrent github and libtorrent github.

In addition to gderf's recommendation above, or experience-sharing, then same backend is used by e.g. private-internet-access, btguard, torrent-privacy etc etc.
rytz
New User
New User

Post by rytz »

Thanks for suggestions and info!
orlandpol
New User
New User

Post by orlandpol »

Thank you, useful information
Samui
New User
New User

Post by Samui »

rytz wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:05 pm Hi:

Thanks for making a great torrent program. Deluge is my favorite by far.

Can anyone recommend a VPN service that supports UDP torrent trackers through Socks5 (auth) proxy connections?

I've tried a few of the major services. I can't get UDP trackers to give me a peer list. HTTP trackers always work fine.

It's my understanding after testing different clients and reading various internet posts that this problem revolves around inconsistencies with Socks5 and UDP together (and nothing related to clients specifically).

If posting service names are disallowed here, please PM me.

Thanks!
some VPN services that support UDP torrent trackers through Socks5 (auth) proxy connections:

Torguard: Torguard is a well-respected VPN provider that offers a variety of features, including support for UDP torrent trackers through Socks5 (auth) proxy connections. They also have a large network of servers that are optimized for torrenting.

Private Internet Access (PIA): PIA is another popular VPN provider that offers support for UDP torrent trackers through Socks5 (auth) proxy connections. They have a strong reputation for privacy and security, and they also have a large network of servers that are well-suited for torrenting.

BTGuard: BTGuard is a specialized VPN provider that is specifically designed for torrenting. They offer support for UDP torrent trackers through Socks5 (auth) proxy connections, and they also have a number of other features that are specifically designed for torrent users.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

If you're looking at TorGuard I'd suggest checking out https://trash-guides.info/Misc/How-to-s ... orwarding/

It's got a tutorial for this, and many many other things, as well as a promo code for a discount. Sorry to shill for the guide, but I wrote the Deluge guide there so I'm a little biased.

Not advocating for any one VPN over the other, it's not a clear-cut "best" option is always X VPN...but just giving information :)
kotobaki
New User
New User

Post by kotobaki »

VPN service that offers SOCKS5 proxy support is NordVPN. They have 10 SOCKS5 proxy addresses that are excellent for P2P activities and unblocking geo-locked content2. Plus, they have the best speeds among the VPNs with SOCKS5 proxy support.

You can also check out IPVanish2, which has the most SOCKS5 proxy addresses on my list – 25+ in 14 countries. They are a great choice for torrenting and you might get lucky with Hulu or BBC iPlayer2.

But I prefer to use nord VPN
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

None of those support port forwarding last I heard....that's sort of important for torrenting, so I'm not sure how any are a "great choice"