Deluge vs other clients

aRtRitus
New User
New User

Deluge vs other clients

Post by aRtRitus »

Hi fellas,

I've been using qBittorrent for some time now, and love it.
I decided to try Deluge to see what it's all about, since it's gained some popularity. For the most part they're similar, but I did notice certain shortcomings...

- cannot double-click on a torrent to open it. This alone is a deal breaker for me.
- cannot auto-start on system boot
- cannot use a custom file extension for incomplete files
- the recently used folder list is too cumbersome to use because it's hidden in submenus and requires too many mouse clicks

I do like certain cosmetic things like it shows the tracker URL icons, and can set up/down speed limit for each torrent in the bottom menu instead of in columns. But the missing features are just too essential for me to overlook. I'm an average, run-of-the-mill user who just downloads and seeds. Call me lazy, but having to right click on a torrent and then left click on Open Folder requires much more work than double-clicking to open a torrent.

So why do YOU guys use Deluge? Anything in particular you like about it compared to other clients?
Shryp

Re: Deluge vs other clients

Post by Shryp »

1- Double click on the file name to rename, double click on the file size to open.
2- You can manually easily add a shortcut to the start folder. It isn't as easy as an option button, but works.
3- No idea about the incomplete files, but .part seems pretty self explanatory. Probably something with libtorrent.
4- Are you talking about adding new torrents? Seems fine for me, but I don't add a lot manually.

For me the best feature is the daemon/client mode. I see the daemon to run on my desktop and then a client on the desktop and the laptop to connect.
aRtRitus
New User
New User

Post by aRtRitus »

Shryp wrote:1- Double click on the file name to rename, double click on the file size to open.
Is this a setting somewhere that I can't find? Double click on a torrent does nothing for me.
Shryp wrote: 2- You can manually easily add a shortcut to the start folder. It isn't as easy as an option button, but works.
Thx for the suggestion. To be fair though, I can't think of too many modern apps that don't have this as an option.
Shryp wrote: 3- No idea about the incomplete files, but .part seems pretty self explanatory. Probably something with libtorrent.
Is this another setting that I'm missing? I just downloaded a .mkv movie, and the file extensions was .mkv during the download and never changed to .part or anything else. qBittorrent, on the other hand, has an option to add a .!qB to partially downloaded files which makes it very easy to see which files have completed.
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

aRtRitus wrote:
Shryp wrote:1- Double click on the file name to rename, double click on the file size to open.
Is this a setting somewhere that I can't find? Double click on a torrent does nothing for me.
I think I misunderstood this one the first time around. You can't open from the torrent list, but you can from the files inside of the torrent.
aRtRitus wrote:
Shryp wrote: 3- No idea about the incomplete files, but .part seems pretty self explanatory. Probably something with libtorrent.
Is this another setting that I'm missing? I just downloaded a .mkv movie, and the file extensions was .mkv during the download and never changed to .part or anything else. qBittorrent, on the other hand, has an option to add a .!qB to partially downloaded files which makes it very easy to see which files have completed.
This is another one I got wrong. The .part extension is for the overlap when you mark something as do not download.
kurupt13
New User
New User

Post by kurupt13 »

aRtRitus wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:49 am Hi fellas,

I've been using qBittorrent for some time now, and love it.
I decided to try Deluge to see what it's all about, since it's gained some popularity. For the most part they're similar, but I did notice certain shortcomings...

- cannot double-click on a torrent to open it. This alone is a deal breaker for me.
- cannot auto-start on system boot
- cannot use a custom file extension for incomplete files
- the recently used folder list is too cumbersome to use because it's hidden in submenus and requires too many mouse clicks

I do like certain cosmetic things like it shows the tracker URL icons, and can set up/down speed limit for each torrent in the bottom menu instead of in columns. But the missing features are just too essential for me to overlook. I'm an average, run-of-the-mill user who just downloads and seeds. Call me lazy, but having to right click on a torrent and then left click on Open Folder requires much more work than double-clicking to open a torrent.

So why do YOU guys use Deluge? Anything in particular you like about it compared to other clients?
because it has many benefits over other clients. Namely you can continue incomplete files, yes but also with client mode you can monitor it continuously from your desktop but it also offers less software bloat over competition clients and runs easier on my cpu as well.

Edit: Link removed by moderator.
johnnyblaze
New User
New User

Post by johnnyblaze »

There are many torrent clients, but personally i consider utorrent lightweight while adequate enough for my needs. Sounds like you want the pros and cons of torrent vs direct downloads

SPEED
direct downloads contain a pretty reliable speed
torrents' speed depends upon the quantity of seeders/leechers from the torrent (I've continually found primary download faster)
BUT
torrents could be interrupted without fretting about wasting time, while immediate downloads require that you simply stay connected before entire file is usually completed

PRIVACY
if you're downloading it something illegitimate (*don't perform it*), in that case your ip could be tracked applying torrents and followed to you, and you will be presented liable (nevertheless, you may use peer guardian +/- proxy machines to bypass that, but there's nonetheless a risk)
direct downloads, it is the host that's in charge of what's posted, and that means you won't be in virtually any problem for downloading

SIMPLICITY
torrents, you down load the torrent, you then have to trigger the torrent, that is pretty uncomplicated. There's some original configuration to obtain the best quickness, but once you've the settings placed, you're done
direct downloads, you don't need to concern yourself with it

cheers
-johnny blaze
johnkaperoniz
New User
New User

Post by johnkaperoniz »

I prefer the deluge Simple Ad-free design.

I like that it can support various plugins

Deluge can also be integrated with Chrome and Firefox and supports scheduled downloads

only drawback is it's missing the ability to search for torrents from inside the software or does anybody know if this can be done?

youtube
youtube.com
Last edited by johnkaperoniz on Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Menard »

I ve just tried Qbittorrent and I see it doesn't see all my partitions ... when I want to move the download place for one torrent ... so it is a big bug for me ... but perhaps when we first chose the place when adding a new torrent it is different, not sure ... but then I came back to Deluge and this assay was only motivated by the fact I could believe that for one torrent that is missing parts, Deluge could have been blocked by some seeders or by the tracker
highvoltage
Leecher
Leecher

Post by highvoltage »

I consider deluge to be the best torrent client, this is my opinion, but no other client I get speeds like Deluge.

Deluge has a lot more pros than cons, it's stable and reliable, constant speed, active development, wide range of plugins.... among other benefits.

On my servers and projects Deluge is the right choice :D ;)

MikeX
New User
New User

Post by MikeX »

highvoltage wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:47 pm I consider deluge to be the best torrent client, this is my opinion, but no other client I get speeds like Deluge.

Deluge has a lot more pros than cons, it's stable and reliable, constant speed, active development, wide range of plugins.... among other benefits.

On my servers and projects Deluge is the right choice :D ;)

Glad to see you again my friend, as always you get insane speed, I've also seen a video Andy getting 1Gb/s speeds :lol: