Ubuntu VM to run deluge with 1000+ torrent

Rudde
New User
New User

Ubuntu VM to run deluge with 1000+ torrent

Post by Rudde »

Hello, I am setting up a ubuntu server for seeding my files. I have mounted my NAS to this Ubuntu server and it will be seeding 1000+ torrents. How much ram would I have to dedicate to this server? In runs Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 x64 with the nevers version of deluge. And I currently gave it 2 GB of ram, will this be enough?
Spadge
Seeder
Seeder

Re: Ubuntu VM to run deluge with 1000+ torrent

Post by Spadge »

One way to find out ... ;)
chrisbay90
New User
New User

Re: Ubuntu VM to run deluge with 1000+ torrent

Post by chrisbay90 »

Speculation: Yes, but only just.

These 1000 torrents, do you actually have a big enough internet connection (>100MiB up) to expect to simultaneously actively seed each of these to peers? Or will they be on some sort of rotation basis? If it is case one, than I will have to change my answer to an absolute no.

If this is dedicated to just being a seedbox, I highly recommend using Ubuntu server instead of the desktop edition, especially if RAM is precious.

EDIT: I have about 100 torrents in deluge, only about a dozen or so active. The deluge process alone consumes approximately 1GB of RAM. Although this is with some fairly large/generous cache settings to minimise disk usage. Also it is on a server and the process has been up a few months.