Deluge 1.3.2 annoyances

Redsandro

Deluge 1.3.2 annoyances

Post by Redsandro »

First of all, as this is my first post, let me constrain that Deluge is an absolutely awesome piece of software! :)

However, since Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with the Deluge Team PPA auto-upgraded Deluge to 1.3.2, I've noticed that a few (imo) annoyances have been introduced, and I was wondering if these are reversible through (hidden) configuration settings or that I'm just gonna have to live with it.
  • Add Torrent individual options gone.
    • I used to be able to apply different options to different torrents added in a single Add Torrents dialog. I used this a lot to put stuff in their respective directories. Now the Apply button has been replaced with an Apply to All button, and I cannot do this anymore.
    • Luckily, the web-UI hasn't followed yet with similar simplification. Please don't update WebUI the same! :)
    • Add Torrents dialog
      Add Torrents dialog
      deluge-add.png (38.37 KiB) Viewed 9904 times
  • Click indicator-icon to show Deluge window gone.
    • I used to be able to click Deluge's icon in the indicator area (system tray) to show Deluge. Now I have a popup-menu where I can choose to show Deluge. I believe this popup used to be onRightClick instead of onLeftClick. This introduces an extra click which is annoying, especially if you use a remote control to control the mouse.
    • Is there an option I missed to restore old functionality for this?
  • Indicator-flash on a torrent that has completed downloading gone.
    • I used to be able to tell that my download was complete by the Deluge-icon in the indicator area flashing, but not anymore.
    • Is this configurable somewhere?
If there's people who like these improvements, then I hope they are configurable for people who don't think of them as improvements. :)
I haven't found options for these in the preferences dialog though, so I hope there are hidden configuration options, or my ignorant eye just missed them.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Deluge 1.3.2 annoyances

Post by Cas »

Add Torrent individual options gone.
I think there is a ticket for this already and will be looked into.
Click indicator-icon to show Deluge window gone.
This is the new app indicator and has been discussed many time in this forum and Ubuntu in general. If you are using Lucid or Maverick it can be disabled in Preferences and the old systray will be used.

I have actually been testing an idea of using the mouse wheel on the app indicator to show/hide Deluge.
Indicator-flash on a torrent that has completed downloading gone.
A feature that would have to be added to app indicator.
Redsandro

Post by Redsandro »

Cas wrote:This is the new app indicator and has been discussed many time in this forum and Ubuntu in general. If you are using Lucid or Maverick it can be disabled in Preferences and the old systray will be used.
It was gone after the update to 1.3.2, but I am still running 10.04 Lucid. Where can I find this option? It is not where my first guess would be:
deluge-tray.png
deluge-tray.png (15.17 KiB) Viewed 9891 times
I have actually been testing an idea of using the mouse wheel on the app indicator to show/hide Deluge.
Although clever, it wouldn't help people using MCE remote control mouse. It does not have a scroll or middle mouse buttton. :)
I have to look up that discussion you mentioned.
How is that? It used to work before the 1.3.2 update. Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, in that case my apologies for missing it. :mrgreen:
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

Application indicator is a replacement in Ubuntu for Systray, see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopExperien ... Indicators

Simply uncheck 'Enable Application Indicator'
Although clever, it wouldn't help people using MCE remote control mouse. It does not have a scroll or middle mouse buttton. :)
I have to look up that discussion you mentioned.
Using middle mouse is the only alternative option available for implementing in app indicators so its that or nothing.
Redsandro

Post by Redsandro »

OOoohhw I understand now.
  • Indicator area is new.
  • Indicator area is a replacement for Legacy notification area.
  • Legacy notification area is deprecated.
  • Legacy notification area is supported until Ubuntu 10.10.
  • Deluge 1.3.2 now supports the new Indicator area.
  • (Or at least the App Indicator is now enabled by default or enabled after updating.)
  • Enable App Indicator means use Indicator area in stead of Legacy notification area.
  • Disabling the App indicator makes Deluge use the Legacy notification area again.
  • This will only postpone the inevitable App indicator until 11.04.
This explains both the click to show and flash on complete changes.

As for
Cas wrote:
Do you mean it has to be added to Deluge or to the Indicator Area?
Because Indicator Area can do this. For example the Dropbox indicator signals stuff like loading, syncing, synced etc.
Cas
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by Cas »

The enabled by default was actually an accident when I packaged Lucid and Maverick.
Do you mean it has to be added to Deluge or to the Indicator Area?
Because Indicator Area can do this. For example the Dropbox indicator signals stuff like loading, syncing, synced etc.
Added to Deluge code. We only managed to get a basic version of the systray implemented before natty release. I will work on improving it at some point.
Redsandro

Post by Redsandro »

Nice. Well keep up the good work! It's nice to know why stuff is the way it is. :)