Download Deception

Shabakthanai
New User
New User

Download Deception

Post by Shabakthanai »

Is it deception when torrents are presented for use in a language different from the language of the download? Is it deception that allows businesses to display their goods on what is intended to be Open Source?

It is a lot to ask of torrent providers to Present their Offerings in the Language of the material to be downloaded, and even more to ask those people trying to sell a service using deception not to post. Perhaps a mechanism could be devised to keep a person who deletes a post they can not use, from being penalized with slower download speeds, because they deleted rather than upload the deception.

I realize it is a lot to ask, but those who don't ask, also don't receive, so I will ask. I can not be sure, but I think it could become a most popular application or a most popular torrent site, perhaps with the highest yield outright advertising is able to produce, for the person who creates the cure for deceptive downloads.

I don't feel I have the right to complain, because I seem to be a beneficiary of so much, but it would be nice.

What am I talking about? Torrents that don't reveal they require a password. Torrents that use file formats that all are not likely to use, like wmv's. Linux users can't play wmv's, so why waste their time with an unusable download. Torrents that are offered in one language without indicating that the download is in another language, and other deceptions that waste a person's time.

I am hoping that when my post is read, someone capable will notice the opportunity this post represents, to take from a competitive market or profit from the sale of a widget that would benefit so many. I wish I had a guru's mental tools, I would create one for nothing but the contribution toward freedom, as my reward.

From a not too smart old man who can't join in the "screw-everyone" part of our society.

Cordially,

Shabakthanai
Xero
New User
New User

Re: Download Deception

Post by Xero »

Hmm, I see what you're saying, but regarding wmv's (and assorted others), just use mplayer to watch them mate, is what I do. :)
Dan39
New User
New User

Post by Dan39 »

yea i play wmv's fine with mplayer or vlc. and your probably just too dumb to find the password in the torrent description

but ive got to say you are really skilled at writing long paragraphs of good sounding filler stuff. you should go into writing essays and stuff. being honest here.. i could never write something like you just did. i would end up with just 2 sentences.
markp1989

Post by markp1989 »

i think under stand where your coming from with the password thing, a few times i have downloaded a fill to find out its password protected, im not going to seed that because it wasted other peoples times, but then i end up looking like a leetch.

if i understod what you ment that any stats on those files shouldnt count to my share ratio, because relly by not uploading im doing people a favour.