SHARE - FULL TORRENT / PARTIAL TORRENT ?

garnertr

SHARE - FULL TORRENT / PARTIAL TORRENT ?

Post by garnertr »

I am a huge Doctor Who fan (sorry, I'm a geek/nerd), anyway, I am in the process of d/ling a torrent containing 100+ audio-files. My question is I have about 1/2 of those files and thus don't want to waste my time re-dling something that I already have.

Is it "right" to go through the torrent and uncheck or "don't download" anything that I already have?

I'm watching several ppl jump in/out and they are not taking too big of a chunk, and I'm thinking its b/c of what I'm actually sharing, since its not the 100% full torrent as what was created.

I'm just thinking to myself, what is the right thing to do, should I d/l the entire torrent, share (which I'm a 2:1 ratio person) it and then just remove offline after my sharing is done?

thanks!

v/r
Tom
loki

Re: SHARE - FULL TORRENT / PARTIAL TORRENT ?

Post by loki »

If they are exactly the same, same name and everything you could just add the files you already have to the tracker and force a recheck... then you'd be sharing the whole torrent.

On the other had if they are different it'll check the file and overwrite it, so be careful there.

It is anybodys choice to download parts or whole torrent, theoretically if you just download what you want and upload to the 2:1 you'll be doing your part. If theres only like 2 seeders on a large torrent though, it wouldn't be very 'nice.'

p.s. all caps in title is probably frowned upon...