Newer versions of deluge download much slower

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Newer versions of deluge download much slower

Post by johnnyg »

I should mention that although the max. connection attempts per second option has been removed from the GTK UI, it's still available in the Web UI and Null UI.
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by andar »

johnnyg wrote:I should mention that although the max. connection attempts per second option has been removed from the GTK UI, it's still available in the Web UI and Null UI.
Yea, but it's still hardcoded to 20..

Should I add this option back in?
cb474

Post by cb474 »

It doesn't seem like it would hurt to have the option, as long as it defaults to 20.

Also, does this mean that the other settings, max connections, max upload slots, etc., don't matter so much, and the only real problem with the speed issue was the max connections per second setting?
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by andar »

cb474 wrote:It doesn't seem like it would hurt to have the option, as long as it defaults to 20.

Also, does this mean that the other settings, max connections, max upload slots, etc., don't matter so much, and the only real problem with the speed issue was the max connections per second setting?
No, they are still relevant, but the connections per second speed is important because if it's set to unlimited then you could do upwards of 900+ connections immediately which just saturates your upstream and is just way too aggressive.
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

I think add the option back in (leave default 20).
maybe add a warning about not modifying the settings unless you know exactly what you're doing?
SGSeries2

Post by SGSeries2 »

johnnyg wrote:I think add the option back in (leave default 20).
maybe add a warning about not modifying the settings unless you know exactly what you're doing?
+1 for adding it back in

Heck, I'd go as far as to consider that entire section to be advanced. No point it singling out one option. If you're playing with those settings, and you don't have the slightest idea what they do, then you probably shouldn't be doing it...
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

SGSeries2 wrote:
johnnyg wrote:I think add the option back in (leave default 20).
+1 for adding it back in

Heck, I'd go as far as to consider that entire section to be advanced. No point it singling out one option. If you're playing with those settings, and you don't have the slightest idea what they do, then you probably shouldn't be doing it...
It was implied that the warning would apply to the whole section.
Maybe the warning should be about not maxing out certain connections rather than not modfying them?
Or should it just directly point them to the FAQ on bandwidth settings?
SGSeries2

Post by SGSeries2 »

johnnyg wrote:It was implied that the warning would apply to the whole section. ...
Oh, well, then, I second that. :)

A 'not modifying them' warning would be rather harsh. I'm not sure if whoever messes with it would know which way would be 'maxing out' until the deed is done. Despite what I said in my last post, I generally promote tinkering, provided that the user knows that messing with the settings may cause unwanted results. (Perhaps that would have been a better way to put it?)

I guess what I see is a tinkerer that likes to tink, but tinks enough that he forgot what he tunk. Now he doesn't know what the defaults values were to untink his tinks (w/o hosing his 'tinked-out' config). :shock:
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

max connections per second has been added back in 1.0.3.
[S]Duke

Post by [S]Duke »

I have a quick question. I have a good number of torrents seeding (never all of them active at the same time, but seeding nonetheless), and I also have been having the extremely slow downloads issue. Would the 200-4-20 settings affect my uploading at all? Like, when I'm not downloading anything, just uploading, will it heavily impact my seeding torrents? Can I up the values if so while keeping the better download speeds?