Deluge downloads too much of files marked "do not download"

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Groche

Deluge downloads too much of files marked "do not download"

Post by Groche »

I imported a torrent that I originally downloaded using Azureus. I had deleted the files that were marked "do not download" before the torrent was imported. Deluge has downloaded more than double the piece size of all files marked "do not download" before it changed the torrent status to seeding.The piece size is 512 KB so it shouldn't download more than 1 MB. The file sizes are about 200 MB and for most files it downloaded 1.15% - 1.5% of the file (2-3 MB). But for 1 file it downloaded about 16% (about 32 MB). I'm using Deluge 0.9.07 on Xubuntu.
loki

Re: Deluge downloads too much of files marked "do not download"

Post by loki »

Maybe you didn't get to the files and mark them "do not download" fast enough, so it had already started downloading chunks from it. I notice once it starts downloading a chunk it doesn't stop until it's done, even after you mark it as do not download.
To avoid it you could add torrent in paused state and mark the ones you don't want downloaded before you start it. I think it's in the add torrents dialog.
Groche

Post by Groche »

I specified not to download those files in the add torrents window, not after I had already added the torrent. So, that shouldn't be the case.
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

I had something similar happen to me with 9.0RC3 (I think), but it stopped happening.
I'll see if something similar happens with RC7.
brad

Post by brad »

I think this has less to do with deluge and more to do with the torrent. Torrent files are seperated into chunks, and I believe that the person who creates the torrent file specifies the chunk size. Chunks do not work per-file, but rather on the torrent as a whole. One chunk could include many small files as well as part of a large file. If you wish to download one of the small files, the entire chunk must be downloaded, and thus you will be downloading parts of other files that are in the chunk.

This is just my understanding of it, I may be wrong, please correct me if i am.
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

you are correct brad however groche did mention that the chunk size (a.k.a piece size) was 512KB, while deluge had downloaded 2-3MB of data.
which suggests that it's not a piece size problem.
vexxor
New User
New User

Post by vexxor »

brad wrote:I think this has less to do with deluge and more to do with the torrent. Torrent files are seperated into chunks, and I believe that the person who creates the torrent file specifies the chunk size. Chunks do not work per-file, but rather on the torrent as a whole. One chunk could include many small files as well as part of a large file. If you wish to download one of the small files, the entire chunk must be downloaded, and thus you will be downloading parts of other files that are in the chunk.

This is just my understanding of it, I may be wrong, please correct me if i am.
I understand why deluge would download the files contained inside the same chunks, but from my experience it also keeps them after the download is finished. When i set the download to ignore some files, i usually want it to do just that, even if i need to download some of them, i don't want them as the end result. I also noticed it creates all directories specified in the torrent even though they are empty.

I'll give you a real life example. I download a torennt with about 2000 small files. They are arranged in many directories (100+). I painstakingly go through the mark screen and mark only the files i want to download (about 50-100). After the download is done i have a full directory tree (80% of directories are empty) and about 30% more files than i wanted. Now i have to comb through all this again to get the effect i wanted in the first place.

Is it possible to:

- Delete files not marked for download after downloading the torrent (the user did not want them). For example mark the chunks this affects as "do not download" so that peers know you don't have them, and so deluge won't try to download them again ... (if this is impossible, or is possible, but should be done in another way, please correct me, as my knowledge of internal bittorrent protocol workings is weak)

- Delete empty directories

???
aqtrans

Post by aqtrans »

I think Deluge should do the same thing that uTorrent does and just throw all the misc. chunks that are marked as DND into one file. uTorrent puts this file in the download directory as uTorrentxxxxx.dat and it contains all the chunks that were still downloaded. It's a lot better than having the actual files there.