Bug: default tracker timeout of 20 seconds

Suggestions and discussion of future versions
F for Fragging

Bug: default tracker timeout of 20 seconds

Post by F for Fragging »

I just had a conversation in the IRC Channel:
<F_for_Fragging> is anyone else experiencing problems with time outs on trackers with 0.5.7? I know it's not the tracker itself because µTorrent connects to the tracker fine
<slurdge|work> no myself
<slurdge|work> not myself
<F_for_Fragging> slurdge|work, try this torrent: http://www.dattebayo.com/t/ns035.torrent if I try downloading it in Deluge, it gives a time out, but µTorrent connects without problems to the tracker
<F_for_Fragging> could you please try to reproduce this problem?
<F_for_Fragging> if possible I'd like to file a bugreport for this, but I've got to know if others also experience the same problem then
<slurdge|work> i can't, i'm at work
<slurdge|work> i'll try this evening if i've time
<F_for_Fragging> ok, thanks
<F_for_Fragging> I've got 12 time outs on that torrent now
<slurdge|work> and not on other torrents ?
<F_for_Fragging> yes, other torrents from other trackers as well
<F_for_Fragging> slurdge|work, I've downloaded three torrents from three different trackers so far; only the the deluge-torrent.org tracker for the Deluge 0.5.7 downloads gives me "Announce OK", the two other trackers give time outs (it still downloads/uploads those torrents at full speed thanks to DHT though)
<slurdge|work> hmm ok
<hydri> F_for_Fragging: there seem to be a bug in libtorrent, I'm fixing it now. thanks!
<F_for_Fragging> hydri, ok, thanks, so the bug was already reported in libtorrent's bugtracker?
<hydri> no, I just tested your torrent :)
<F_for_Fragging> ah, ok
<F_for_Fragging> well thanks for fixing the bug, got to go now, dinner
<hydri> Fragging_away: actually, when inspecting the wireshark log further, it turns out that this tracker takes 25 seconds to respond. the default timeout in libtorrent is 20 seconds
<hydri> 25 seconds is extremely slow, I guess the default should be 40 seconds if this is as common as you say
<hydri> donr
<hydri> done
<CIA-7> libtorrent: arvidn * r1792 / (3 files in 3 dirs): increased default tracker timeout from 20 seconds to 40 seconds
<F_for_Fragging> hydri, thanks for the explantion and great that you could fix it so soon, do you possibly now if this fix for libtorrent will also be included in the next release of Deluge?
<hydri> F_for_Fragging: I'm sure it will. you may be able to fix it yourself by changing you timeout settings (assuming deluge lets you do that)
So currently the bug is already fixed in libtorrent's SVN. However, currently Deluge is simply unusable for me with this bug. Could a quick bug fix release please be done?
markybob
Compulsive Poster
Compulsive Poster

Re: Bug: default tracker timeout of 20 seconds

Post by markybob »

F for Fragging wrote:I just had a conversation in the IRC Channel:
<F_for_Fragging> is anyone else experiencing problems with time outs on trackers with 0.5.7? I know it's not the tracker itself because µTorrent connects to the tracker fine
<slurdge|work> no myself
<slurdge|work> not myself
<F_for_Fragging> slurdge|work, try this torrent: http://www.dattebayo.com/t/ns035.torrent if I try downloading it in Deluge, it gives a time out, but µTorrent connects without problems to the tracker
<F_for_Fragging> could you please try to reproduce this problem?
<F_for_Fragging> if possible I'd like to file a bugreport for this, but I've got to know if others also experience the same problem then
<slurdge|work> i can't, i'm at work
<slurdge|work> i'll try this evening if i've time
<F_for_Fragging> ok, thanks
<F_for_Fragging> I've got 12 time outs on that torrent now
<slurdge|work> and not on other torrents ?
<F_for_Fragging> yes, other torrents from other trackers as well
<F_for_Fragging> slurdge|work, I've downloaded three torrents from three different trackers so far; only the the deluge-torrent.org tracker for the Deluge 0.5.7 downloads gives me "Announce OK", the two other trackers give time outs (it still downloads/uploads those torrents at full speed thanks to DHT though)
<slurdge|work> hmm ok
<hydri> F_for_Fragging: there seem to be a bug in libtorrent, I'm fixing it now. thanks!
<F_for_Fragging> hydri, ok, thanks, so the bug was already reported in libtorrent's bugtracker?
<hydri> no, I just tested your torrent :)
<F_for_Fragging> ah, ok
<F_for_Fragging> well thanks for fixing the bug, got to go now, dinner
<hydri> Fragging_away: actually, when inspecting the wireshark log further, it turns out that this tracker takes 25 seconds to respond. the default timeout in libtorrent is 20 seconds
<hydri> 25 seconds is extremely slow, I guess the default should be 40 seconds if this is as common as you say
<hydri> donr
<hydri> done
<CIA-7> libtorrent: arvidn * r1792 / (3 files in 3 dirs): increased default tracker timeout from 20 seconds to 40 seconds
<F_for_Fragging> hydri, thanks for the explantion and great that you could fix it so soon, do you possibly now if this fix for libtorrent will also be included in the next release of Deluge?
<hydri> F_for_Fragging: I'm sure it will. you may be able to fix it yourself by changing you timeout settings (assuming deluge lets you do that)
So currently the bug is already fixed in libtorrent's SVN. However, currently Deluge is simply unusable for me with this bug. Could a quick bug fix release please be done?
probably in a couple of days. i need to figure out why adding a duplicant torrent fucks up persistent.state instead of merging trackers like it's supposed to