Deluge says yay, torrent sites says nay?

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
peakshysteria

Deluge says yay, torrent sites says nay?

Post by peakshysteria »

For some strange reason several torrent sites now says I'm not connectable. Deluge says health is ok and testing my active port says:
TCP port 49300 open on 88.199.808.8
Yay! :-)
(yeah, I changed the actuall adress)
I've logged into my router and all is as it should be. But even though all seems well I'm not connactable. A year back I encountered the same thing with µTorrent. Solution seemed to be to forward ports with IE instead of Firefox. Firefox at the time was unsupported by the router firmware. Which seemed to show the NAT table wrong in FF. So when I typed in the different ports and my IP I typed them into the wrong cells. Kinda tired of looking for the perfect client now. Deluge is perfect for my needs and for my machine. Not too keen on switching to another client again.

Firefox: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008061017 Firefox/3.0
Deluge 0.5.9.3

Can anyone help me with this?
Last edited by peakshysteria on Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex i386| AMD Athlon X64 3000+ | 3 GB RAM | 650 GB (3 WD HDDs) + 750 GB external (WD) |ATI X700 EXCALIBUR PRO (256 MB)|FF/3.0.5
andar
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Re: Deluge says yay, torrent sites says nay?

Post by andar »

The only thing I can think of is that your router is pointing the port to the wrong IP.. It will still show it as open when you test it, but the forwarded connections will not goto the computer running Deluge.
peakshysteria

Post by peakshysteria »

Hmm, not sure how this is possible. have never heard of something like this. Could Deluge somehow be wrong?

Edit:
Restarted Deluge and now it all seems ok. The sites that earlier listed me as not connectable now say I'm connectable :shock: So all is good. It would be nice to know why!? Can it be my install? In applications I can actually see to Deluge entries. One is listed as Deluge, the other one is listed as Deluge BitTorrent Client. Maybe something went wrong during my latest update!?
Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex i386| AMD Athlon X64 3000+ | 3 GB RAM | 650 GB (3 WD HDDs) + 750 GB external (WD) |ATI X700 EXCALIBUR PRO (256 MB)|FF/3.0.5
mvoncken
Developer
Developer

Post by mvoncken »

I encountered something like this when my max-connections was exceeded.
When you reach max-connections, you will be listed as not connectible, it just depends on the time of checking.
dev: webui, core, labels | irc:vonck7 |
peakshysteria

Post by peakshysteria »

What is strange is that some sites says I'm connectible and so say I'm not. To fix it I have to shut down Deluge and reboot. Then I'm good again. Not sure why this is happening. Strange and irritating. I haven't tested with other clients yet since it takes some time to map out the problem. mvoncken you might be right though I'm not entirely sure. Now one of my main sites says that some of my torrents are open/seeding and that others are closed/unconnetable. Is there I guide for the most perfect configuration of Deluge somewhere. I hvae looked around but can't find it. It would also be nice to have all the new additions to the latest version(s) (the new GUI) explained thoroughly somewhere.

And I have two Deluge entries under Applications --> Internet. The first one is the latest version always (after an update). Is there a way to fix this?
peakshysteria

Post by peakshysteria »

Hate to do it, but:

*BUMP*

The problem persists in Deluge 0.9.08. The port is forwarded correctly. No doubt about that. Deluge says the port is open sometimes. Other times it says it's closed. Some sites says I'm connectible other says no. The different sites change so sometimes the say I'm connectable next day I'm not. It must be something with my setup. But I'm not sure what. Can anyone help out here please. I have set a ten port range in deluge. Am I better off with just one single port?? Or does it have something to do with max connections? Is there an ideal setting for the different bandwidths?
nhasian

Post by nhasian »

this could explain why i get really crappy download speeds while using deluge 0.9.08. my upload is pegged at 90k but my download speed is only 20-30k. I have an awesome ratio though hehe
maybe its not accepting incoming connections properly? I'm not sure what the problem is, but i know i've forwarded the ports on my router properly. Just for testing purposes I fired up the good 'ol transmission bt client that came with my ubuntu 8.04 and it was much faster! with Transmission i was getting 200-300k download speeds. obviously i would prefer to use deluge. it has a lot more features and looks more like utorrent that i'm familiar with from back when i was using windows. I guess we're going to see a few more RC's before 1.0.0 is marked stable :lol:
johnnyg
Top Bloke
Top Bloke

Post by johnnyg »

@peakshysteria: have you forwarded one port on your router, or an entire range? try just forwarding one port and tell deluge only to use that one port (specify the range to be the same port). deluge should tell you its port is open everytime you test it (note: you may get a no incoming connections warning if the torrent takes awhile to start).

@nhasian: I'd say you haven't properly configured deluge's bandwidth settings.
peakshysteria

Post by peakshysteria »

Thanks for posting johnnyg. I'll test with just one single port instead of the ten port range I've been running with lately. I closed Deluge and reopened it. It now says: TCP port closed. No other visible errors :cry:

_______________--

johnnyg I love you. Using one port suddenly worked. Actually by mistake I set a port which I haven't specified in my router. But Deluge says TCP port now is open (which really is kinda strange i think). And all my regular sites says I'm connectible. Strange it is. Anyway all seems good now. At least I now once again know I should use only one port instead of a port range (at least on my system/setup).
Last edited by peakshysteria on Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nhasian

Post by nhasian »

i just have one port forwarded. not a range. I have a maximum upload speed of 120k so I've set deluge to use 75% of that which is 90k. Please take a look at my bandwidth settings and see if i'm doing something wrong.
johnnyg wrote:@peakshysteria: have you forwarded one port on your router, or an entire range? try just forwarding one port and tell deluge only to use that one port (specify the range to be the same port). deluge should tell you its port is open everytime you test it (note: you may get a no incoming connections warning if the torrent takes awhile to start).

@nhasian: I'd say you haven't properly configured deluge's bandwidth settings.
Attachments
bandwidth settings in deluge
bandwidth settings in deluge
Screenshot-Preferences.png (53.23 KiB) Viewed 6925 times