New user headless server muddle

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
TheMegulator
New User
New User

New user headless server muddle

Post by TheMegulator »

Hi All,

I am running deluge and deluge-web as services on a headless ubuntu server 23.10. I am new to home servers and to deluge as a service. I followed this guide:

https://reintech.io/blog/install-config ... uge-ubuntu

when setting up deluge and was able to get the service running and download a torrent, yay! When I did this I thought I had set the download location to /home/user/servershare/Documents/TorrentFiles, but the torrent appears to have downloaded to /var/lib/deluged/downloads. I have not been able to access /var/lib/deluged despite adding user to both the deluged and debian-deluge groups. I have since removed used from those groups.

Looking at the troubleshooting guide linked in the sticky at the top of this forum I found the guide to setting up deluge as a service and noted the discussion about UMASK. I thought it was therefore a good idea to go into /etc/systemd/system/deluged.service using nano and edit the UMASK line from 027 to 000. I restarted the service, was given an error message and restarted the server.

On rebooting the service I still cannot access /var/lib/deluged. I have gone back into /etc/systemd/system/deluged.service and changed the UMASK setting back to 027. However I now cannot access deluge-web. And sudo systemctl status deluged and sudo system status deluge-web both return 'failed'. Journalctl reports that both deluge and deluge-web are unable to use the default config directory.

I am now at a loss :(

Please can someone advise:
1. how to reset deluged and deluge-web so that that start?
2. how I can access /var/lib/deluged/downloads so that I can move the files I downloaded to /home/user/servershare/Documents/TorrentFiles?
3. how I can set deluge to always download torrents to /home/user/servershare/Documents/TorrentFiles?

Thank you :)
TheMegulator
New User
New User

Re: New user headless server muddle

Post by TheMegulator »

Hi,

just to say that I have also added a support request here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2496406

and that I have noticed a couple of errors in my previous post, in the first paragrpah 'used' should be 'user' and in the last paragraph on the first line 'service' should be 'server'.

thanks again.

NB when I added user to the two groups deluged and deluge-web I also made sure those groups had rwx access to /var/lib/deluged
TheMegulator
New User
New User

Post by TheMegulator »

[PARTIAL SOLVE]

I realised that I had failed to add the -R flag when adding user to groups. In the end I made user the owner of the folder with the -R flag and was able to move the files I want to save and will now purge deluge and deluge-web and start again.
shinger
Leecher
Leecher

Post by shinger »

Hello TheMegulator,

I think you are maybe dealing with the same problem i had before. In my case i have created a samba share and wanted to be able to move/deleted files. In that case i just gave a complete different group as you can see down below with the umask of 007. The download directory is btw (774). You want to make sure that deluge-web.service is also configured correctly. Take a look at my systemd services and let me know if you need further explanation.

deluged.service

Code: Select all

# /etc/systemd/system/deluged.service
[Unit]
Description=Deluge Bittorrent Client Daemon
Documentation=man:deluged
After=network-online.target

[Service]
Type=simple
User=deluge
Group=sambashare
UMask=007

ExecStart=/usr/bin/deluged -d -L info -l /var/log/deluge/deluged.log
#ExecStart=/usr/bin/deluged -d -L debug -l /var/log/deluge/deluged.log

Restart=on-failure

# Configures the time to wait before service is stopped forcefully.
TimeoutStopSec=300

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
deluge-web.service

Code: Select all

# /etc/systemd/system/deluge-web.service
[Unit]
Description=Deluge Bittorrent Client Web Interface
Documentation=man:deluge-web
After=network-online.target deluged.service
Wants=deluged.service

[Service]
Type=simple

User=deluge
Group=sambashare
UMask=007

#ExecStart=/usr/bin/deluge-web -d -L info -l /var/log/deluge/deluge-web.log
ExecStart=/usr/bin/deluge-web -d -L debug -l /var/log/deluge/deluge-web.log

Restart=on-failure

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
===============================================================
Server: Rock 5B 8 Cores (ARM), 16 GB RAM, 2 TB 970 Evo +
Deluge: v2.1.1
Plugins: Blocklist, LabelPlus, ItConfig, MyScheduler, Stats, Notifications, YaRSS2