Something changed

General support for problems installing or using Deluge
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

Something changed

Post by Menard »

Hello
In recent the past, when I was starting deluge after forgetting to mount one partition, all its torrents were in error state, but I could then shut Deluge down and mount the partition and then start Deluge and it was ok./ But today it began like this and after the restart, all those torrents are in recheck.
I cannot deal with this.
ambipro

Re: Something changed

Post by ambipro »

If making sure you've mounted a partition, or configuring fstab to do it by default, before launching Deluge is simply too much for you to deal with, I'd suggest you stop using Linux.

I've seen you post frequently over the past 6 or so months, very much frequently, about problems that are almost all of your own doing. I'm not saying that they aren't problems, I'm merely saying that almost all of them are because you usually didn't do something properly or want things to perform in ways they inherently do not. In most cases, this is because you are not reading or searching google for things before you just do them, or maybe are finding a guide and doing the steps without reading them all first and ensuring you understand what is going to be done and any assumptions it is making.

At a certain point, after dozens of threads that are mostly made because you misconfigured, disregarded, or otherwise "forgot" to do something, I ask you if the setup you have "crafted" is worth maintaining in its current state. Perhaps it would be better to actually listen to some of the advice we've been trying to give you over the last ~6 months rather than persist that we should help you make your broken setup work the way you think it should.

I don't mind posts that ask for support for something in Deluge that "misbehaved" due to some other configuration or OS issue, but when almost all of a large number of frequent posts are user-caused errors or blatant complaints that "I did this and now Deluge is doing this" - only to find that you caused Deluge to do something by your actions or setup and that you somehow expect us to fix what you have left broken and don't have intentions of fixing, i regret to say that it just gets a bit tiresome.

Every single problem in recent memory you have posted about is preventable and could probably be solved with a simple Google search. For example, if you google "auto mount partition linux" you will find thousands of results telling you exactly how this post and your problem could have been prevented.

Deluge is doing exactly what it should be, it's checking torrents it does not know are referencing the same data, since you didn't mount it on it last run.

If you can't deal with these problems, fix the problems.

I've had to deal with rechecks that lasted several days before when I screwed things up, now I backup my state folder regularly. If you had done this as well, if this had occurred for any reason you could simply replace the state folder and resumed, most likely, as it had been.

Prevent what you can, which is most of the issues you are facing, and adapt your setup and configuration for what you can't to avoid headaches.

It shouldn't be that hard man.
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Menard »

OK, if you don't understand that I has been using Deluge for years without this problem and that for unexplained reason it changed it behaviour, I can do nothing more... really I don't know what has changed in the mountpoint of this partition ... I repeat that previously it was working, I could repeatedly restart Deluge when I see that I ve forgotten to mount this partition, and then no recheck was started.

I know perfectly how to automatically mount partitions at system startup, I have allready 3 partitions like this, the problem is not there as I explained before. The problem for me is that now all happens as if Deluge had stored for each torrent, a path, and I don't know in what it has changed but something has changed and could be edited in some conf file somewhere I guess, or I could be forced to stop all these torrents and to add them again, one by one.

My feeling is that you tend to fix the problems by the "how to do differently" as some persons who repeat when we have a problem with an hard disk, to buy a SSD...
Last edited by Menard on Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

Hashing is done in libtorrent, not natively in Deluge.
ambipro

Post by ambipro »

If you are doing something that can potentially cause you issues, the solution is for you to do it the way it is intended to be.

Using software in a way that was not intended and expecting intended results is a ridiculous assumption.

Deluge and Libtorrent are not meant to be used with non-existing data. My solution was simple, make sure you remove the possibility of forgetting to mount the partition.

There is no problem with Deluge. The problem is in your workflow.
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Menard »

Using software in a way that was not intended and expecting intended results is a ridiculous assumption. > prove it !!!

Where have I ve wrote this ? "Using software in a way that was not intended"
Menard
Leecher
Leecher

Post by Menard »

ambipro wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:39 am If you are doing something that can potentially cause you issues, the solution is for you to do it the way it is intended to be.

Using software in a way that was not intended and expecting intended results is a ridiculous assumption.

Deluge and Libtorrent are not meant to be used with non-existing data. My solution was simple, make sure you remove the possibility of forgetting to mount the partition.

There is no problem with Deluge. The problem is in your workflow.
OK, ok, it is a point of view, i can understand this